Options

monkey planet bbc1 9pm tonight

124»

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    BBC are taking their time getting this up on Sky On Demand!
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    Aren't Sky having problems with their iPlayer access?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/17/ios_bbc_sky_vod_services_down/
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    BBC are taking their time getting this up on Sky On Demand!
    What's wrong with using iPlayer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nothing, but i'd rather watch this show on my telly rather than on my monitor.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    Same here. I've seen several similar clips probably all from Attenborough progs.

One of my favourites is seeing chimps learn how to use tools to crack a nut but with the old addage that you can't teach old dogs new tricks - or chimps in this case.

They showed how an older chimp who didn't learn the technique when it was young couldn't work out how to use the tools. It was giving it a go but didn't have the dexterity or focus to do it properly.

I didn't realize they were cannibals :(

Aww bless but seeing we are very close to them it is the same for use humans. (I still cannot work out metric :blush:)

I am wondering if that mosquitoes repellent is available to buy. I could do with some of that myself :D

George McGavin is a brilliant presenter and I have loved this series. Why is there not more of the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    What's wrong with using iPlayer?
    Nothing, but i'd rather watch this show on my telly rather than on my monitor.

Ah, I've watched iPlayer on my TV ever since I got my Freesat box. I guess Sky on Demand is similar.

In fact, since I got my super new internet-connected TV this week, I have 3 ways to watch: 1) directly using an app on the TV 2) Using my Freesat box and 3) using my Sony Blu-ray player/home cinema.

Plus on my PC, laptop, tablet or phone if I'm of a mind :)
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the Bonobo lighting a fire and toasting a marshmallow slightly worrying.

Damn dirty ape :D
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a fantastic series.
    Belly flops in the drinking trough. B-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chopsim wrote: »
    What a fantastic series.
    Belly flops in the drinking trough. B-)

And some of them nearly missed :o

I can see where the saying Cheeky Monkey came from :D
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    And some of them nearly missed :o

I can see where the saying Cheeky Monkey came from :D

Yes I spotted one that hit the edge of the trough.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    What a wonderful series. Over the last two or three years the more I've seen of George the more I've liked him and now for me he's the natural successor to David Attenborough.

I could hardly believe my eyes at the monkeys flossing. How really clever of them. The monkeys flinging themselves into the water was sheer playfulness and happiness although they did it with such abandon I did wonder how often one might have an accident.

Edit. I also wondered whether the bellyflops hurt them as they hurt us and one day one of them will have worked out that stretching his arms out to hit the water first makes it even more fun!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the barbed wire on the column the monkeys were climbing up looked evil. If it was intended to stop them doing that, it was certainly ineffective! :p
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Absolutely wonderful short series, it's reminded me of how much I miss tuning in to wildlife documentaries - they seem to be less prevalent from the Beeb than they used to be, but when they do rear their head they seldom disappoint :)

George McGavin is an absolute natural fit for things like this, and echoing others I'd say he would be a worthy successor to Attenborough... He is engaging and brings his own charismatic identity to the table too, rather than trying to imitate Attenborough necessarily.

Best thing I've caught on TV in absolutely ages. I hope this makes it to Blu-ray, or at least has a tie-in book :)
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was one of the best things out the BBC for a long time. Superbly filmed and presented.
  • Options
    mesonychidmesonychid Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris1978 wrote: »
    This was one of the best things out the BBC for a long time. Superbly filmed and presented.

totally agree,a brilliant series :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm begining to wonder if monkeys have any tastebuds.

First we see an orangutan eating soap and now other monkeys eating charcoal.

And stoned lemurs :D

Terrific series!
    I hope George and the team get another wildlife series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chris1978 wrote: »

And no infuriating music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm begining to wonder if monkeys have any tastebuds.

First we see an orangutan eating soap and now other monkeys eating charcoal

Charcoal tablets are sometimes prescribed for humans in cases of poisoning or drug overdoses. The monkeys discovered its benefits presumably because it eased the pain caused by the toxins in their diet. Then they learnt from each other.
  • Options
    soopytwistsoopytwist Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I missed episode 3 and the series isn't on iPlayer...why? What do I pay my sodding license fee for?
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soopytwist wrote: »
    I missed episode 3 and the series isn't on iPlayer...why? What do I pay my sodding license fee for?

Anyone watching this re-run? I came across it by chance.

Wonderful short series with a brilliant presenter in George Gavin.

I hope this marks the start of a whole new era of natural history programming.

Well worth a watch if you missed the first showing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    soopytwist wrote: »

I am sure the BBC said that they were going to leave programmes on the Iplayer for a much longer time. No doubt that will take them 20 years to get round to doing that.