TalkTalk Modem

TIVO_YORK99TIVO_YORK99 Posts: 317
Forum Member
Hi all,

I've got my parents on the free broadband TalkTalk, and am going tonight to install it for them (they live about 50 miles away).

Does anyone know what type of modem you get with TalkTalk?, will it have a router incorporated?

I've got an old wireless access point and a old laptop wireless card so I was going to give them that.

I've only ever been on NTL with a cable modem so I've never used or seen ADSL before.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Knowing talktalk I would presume your likely to get a modem (not a router) Probably would hazard a guess at the speedtouch 330 USB Modem if anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, Jsemple is correct. Just a modem - and it is indeed the Speedtouch. We had it up and running in a very short time and found it reliable enough.
    Swapping it for a router we bought soon after though was another matter... :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a rebadged Sagem or something?

Worked OK, but I installed a router. What is good about using the Talktalk router is that an engineer can diagnose any problems with your line/connection whilst you are using it.

At least one positive comment about TT customer service!
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a rebadged Sagem or something?

Worked OK, but I installed a router. What is good about using the Talktalk router is that an engineer can diagnose any problems with your line/connection whilst you are using it.

At least one positive comment about TT customer service!

So that's 1 of...............1 positive then :p

I said speedtouch as the neighbour next door (nice neighbour next door) ;) Has talktalk broadband (why I dunno) :p She has a speedtouch 330 although could be different in the OP'S case. Just have to wait for him to get to his parent's tonight and check it out I guess.
  • TIVO_YORK99TIVO_YORK99 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies guys.

If it is a speedtouch it looks simple to install.
  • Central TVCentral TV Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When TalkTalk first started to offer broadband they supplied Sagem modems, but they were dreadful beasts, so the later swapped to the more reliable SpeedTouch 330.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Can ths talk talk work on xbox live without going out and buying a 80pound rounter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BrutalRoy wrote:
    Can ths talk talk work on xbox live without going out and buying a 80pound rounter

You can get routers much cheaper than £80.
    Forum Member
    ok cheers mate but does it work and whats it like please
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BrutalRoy wrote:
    ok cheers mate but does it work and whats it like please

I don't have an xbox myself, but my cousin has, it's hooked up to his router which is connected to Bulldog, he's not reported any problems.
    Forum Member
    Central TV wrote:
    I don't have an xbox myself, but my cousin has, it's hooked up to his router which is connected to Bulldog, he's not reported any problems.

cheers mate but I was wondering about Talk Talk and can it play Xbox Live.