Options

Lady Sov's Music - Torture?

Slick NickSlick Nick Posts: 957
Forum Member
✭✭
Whilst in bed with my fiance last night, she decides to look up Sov on the iphone as we'd not even heard single second of her 'music'.

Big mistake. 'Love me or hate me' came up first.

We were greeted by irritatating estate-core caterwauling of the worst kind. It's just as vacuous as any other rap song but with added nodes of inspiration like burping. It's all underpinned by quite dated-sounding beats and bleeps that wouldn't be out of place in the 1980s.

How does this shit get given the time of day by record label A&R people that should know better?

I give estatecore another 18 month max in terms of chart relevance.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the point of attacking someone because you obviously don't like the GENRE of music they use? I don't go for grime/ rap music myself, and for that very reason wouldn't dream of trying to single out one performer for sneering. She seems well respected by those who do work in the field. And 'estatecore' is just rude.
  • Options
    RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "As vacuous as any other rap song" really invalidates your opinion, as you clearly have no real knowledge or insight in to hip hop music.

Lady Sov herself isn't the greatest lyricist, but the production on her first album is pretty good and she has a kind of quirky attitude that works for her, hence why Jay Z signed her in the first place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not my type of music. But I think its ok.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    its not that bad, music is a matter of taste, get a grip.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Jigsaw' was her last album and was far too poppy imho and though I'm no huge fan of grime her early stuff was great. I also disagree with Nick on his 'opinion' of N-Dubz stated elsewhere. Perhaps he just doesn't get that 'urban' sound, I'd love to see his face when he first hears Skream :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she's overatted and talentless
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Don't think it is that bad to be honest ... not my type of music, but quite like "so human".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    I thought some of the hip hop stuff that came out of America was ridiculous, but this country's "urban" scene really takes the biscuit. I don't know how people can listen and keep a straight face.
  • Options
    Slick NickSlick Nick Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    'Jigsaw' was her last album and was far too poppy imho and though I'm no huge fan of grime her early stuff was great. I also disagree with Nick on his 'opinion' of N-Dubz stated elsewhere. Perhaps he just doesn't get that 'urban' sound, I'd love to see his face when he first hears Skream :D

Quite similar to others... the music can be broken down to an arrangement of scrapes and bleeps.

Does he also burp on his albums as well, like Sov? Will burping be this decade's Sitar?
  • Options
    JTWJTW Posts: 41,922
    Forum Member
    On the subject of music, I dread to think what Basshunter's next song is going to be if he uses his BB experience as inspiration. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Jungle Cat #5Jungle Cat #5 Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as a big fan of mike skinner/the streets (i suggest you check out some of his stuff) i decided to check out some of sovs music

i was determined to find some songs of hers that i liked because i quite like her face, however i struggled (still looking) but the one song i have quite liked of hers so far is 'so human' (as does zippy it seems), in fact i had it running in the background as i clicked on this topic, been listening to it a fair bit

she should probably stick to the pop kind of stuff (as below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dYxu2QVlpk
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,801
    Forum Member
    as a big fan of mike skinner/the streets (i suggest you check out some of his stuff) i decided to check out some of sovs music

i was determined to find some songs of hers that i liked because i quite like her face, however i struggled (still looking) but the one song i have quite liked of hers so far is 'so human' (as does zippy it seems), in fact i had it running in the background as i clicked on this topic, been listening to it a fair bit

she should probably stick to the pop kind of stuff (as below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dYxu2QVlpk

You picked the song that basically rips off The Cure.. :p

I do like Sov, but unfortunately her music isn't my cup of tea.
  • Options
    Billy NomatesBilly Nomates Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    Close to me?
  • Options
    evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw her on You Tube, loved her, she has talent..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcdpp5ffZQA&feature=related
  • Options
    evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only comment negative is that her image needs a spark..
  • Options
    Finchy44Finchy44 Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think Basshunters music is torture
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,801
    Forum Member
    Close to me?

That's the one yeah.
    Finchy44 wrote: »

I'd like to hear a mashup between Sov and Basshunter. A negative and a negative might equal a positive!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member

All I Ever wanted is probably the worst song ever (how was it number one?????) musically its not terrible its just the way the awful lyrics are squeezed into every line. all a bit Eurovision.
  • Options
    Billy NomatesBilly Nomates Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    I have to agree that Basshunter's brand of crap Euro Techno/House is particularly bad.

I am a big lover of House/Dance music
  • Options
    Finchy44Finchy44 Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sugar Ape wrote: »
    That's the one yeah.

I'd like to hear a mashup between Sov and Basshunter. A negative and a negative might equal a positive!

Lol, theres bound to be someone clever on here who has the programmes to knock something up and post it, This I wanna here :D
  • Options
    JTWJTW Posts: 41,922
    Forum Member

:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's bloody dire, sounds like something a 12 year would cobble together in their bedroom.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Not a great fan of ALL her tunes, but absolutely adore the retro guitar riff (sampled?) on this track :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d819GFDGQ6s
  • Options
    dancing ledgedancing ledge Posts: 13,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You picked the song that basically rips off The Cure.. :p

Aha, I was racking my brains where she nicked that riff from.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Love me" is a very old song really. I like her "Hoodie" one.