Options

Do people putting their feet on seats on public transport annoy you?

Comments

• Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzycat wrote: »
    It wasn't NE who put th graffiti on the window or damaged the seat. It was scummy passengers with no regard for anyone else's property, whether that's a bus or another passenger's coat.
    LYNN(E) wrote: »
    I was on a Nat Exp train a few weeks back & the driver actually requested that passengers kept their feet off the seats after he'd given the blurb when he left the first station. Needless to say none of the idiots took any notice !
    And also why do people need to eat curries, burgers etc on a 20minute journey & stink the carriage out
    Guess they think they're wasting time cleaning & getting rid of graffiti when it'd be back the next day
    Last time I went on one the floor was sticky with God knows what & the seats were ripped
    There should be a guard on every train like "the old" days

I see what you mean, but they never fix the seat and the carriages have been kept going for years and inherited from First Capital Connect. Things like heating broken and doors swinging open are their responsibility in much like how my employer maintains the building I work in. When I pay over £6k a year for season ticket I expect a clean and unbroken train!

Yes agree about guards, we sometimes have a bloke wandering around the train but only on the vaguely nicer ones probably because they're too embarrassed to be seen in public. Ah well, that's what privatisation gets us.

Apparently we are getting new trains in May so I'll be interested to see what happens then. At present it seems pointless telling someone to put their feet down when the rest of the carriage is so disgusting.
  • Options
    drumstickdrumstick Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    In our rest room at work a few years ago a colleague walked in sat down and put his feet on the table. Straight away and without any hesitation one of the ladies ( middle aged - been there forever ) said " Take your feet off the table! " just as though she was talking to a naughty child. Poor guy whipped his feet off the table. It all went very quiet for a bit, it was a very awkward moment as we all knew and worked with each other.

Sorry a bit off topic as it has nothing to do with public transport.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    On the bus a few weeks ago I asked a young lady to move her feet so I could sit. I had to ask more than once as she was reading her magazine and didn't realise I was addressing her. She clearly wanted four seats to herself. She grudgingly moved her feet. Having made my point, I then sat somewhere else.
  • Options
    slipstream42slipstream42 Posts: 2,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes sit at the back of the bus and when its not packed I put my feet up on the seat in front of me (which is facing me) its more comfier and seeing as I have long legs it a pain if your sitting in different seats and have to literally climb over the other seat to get out. Do stagecoach build there buses for midgets or 2 foot tall people to sit on?
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Maxiscot wrote: »
    Hi
    I don't know if it is just me getting old but everytime I am on a commuter train there is always some person with their feet up on the seats opposite. I fight the temptation to say something to them - there could be dog's poo on their shoe after all. Should I say something? I just find this really bad manners - What does everyone else think?

Yep. My local train service has stickers up on the windows saying 'please do not put feet on seats'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little man wrote: »
    On the bus a few weeks ago I asked a young lady to move her feet so I could sit. I had to ask more than once as she was reading her magazine and didn't realise I was addressing her. She clearly wanted four seats to herself. She grudgingly moved her feet. Having made my point, I then sat somewhere else.

You didn't make your point - this probably just made you look indecisive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    I do that on the bus when it's not busy, and I don't feel guilty for doing so. :D

Same here but only when it's not busy. I usually sit at the back of the bus and there are two seats opposite so it's easier to put your feet up.

However I only do this if it's empty, never when packed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Yes it does.. once this girl had her feet on the only empty seats on the bus, which was opposite her. There was a woman opposite her. like this
    ____ <- girl.........bus walking area. woman>_____
    ____ <- only empty seats
    anyway.. the woman asked the girl to move her feet and she wouldn't and there was a massive argument, the woman who was in her 50s stood up and moved to the front of the bus to ask the bus driver for his opinion, the bus driver did nothing. it was totally cringeworthy as the woman was embarassing herself by trying to get the bus driver on 'her side'. I felt so sorry for her and I wanted to speak up but thought there was no point. I don't travel on buses now anyway. The whole bus went quiet when the confrontation was happening, and half of the bus was filled with schoolkids. So it was a really huge deal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Yes it does, you don't know where they have been:eek:
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    .....yes:mad:
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    When I used to commute to central London many moons ago I would put my feet up on the last train after a night out and fall asleep and miss my stop. It was either a long walk home or an expensive cab ride, the long walk usually won,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Not really, they aren't my seats.

The Metro here has signs next to all the doors saying not to put your feet on the seats, it's a sad reflection on today's society that they actually have to say that but regardless it makes no difference anyway.
  • Options
    Tears for FearsTears for Fears Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Do it all the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    It does annoy me when I see people doing this, but I wouldn't go so far as to tell them off over it.

I do laugh at their blatent ignorance as the buses here have huge signs by the seats which face each other saying "Do not put your feet on the seats!" you can't miss it.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I politely asked a man (who was on the phone) if I could sit where he had his feet. He scowled at me, moved his feet and said to the person on the phone. "Some effing idiot asked me to move" :D Sure he thought I was deaf. :eek:

I made a big thing - brushing the seat with my newspaper. Glad I don't use buses any more. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only did it once and thats coz I had just fallen getting on the bus and my leg was hurting like hell and swelling.

But as for them getting muck on the seat from their feet. You dont know who sat where, and on what and still dragged in onto the seat with the bums. I remeber a man getting on with oil all over his bottom ( I guess he worked in a garage) and sat and got oil all over the seat.
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they took their shoes off first would you mind then?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not so long ago i remember this young girl, no older than 17 on the train, on her mobile, eating a subway thing, you know that annoying way girls eat ? Picking at it, and talking on the phone with her feet up

i really felt like going over there and telling her to just stop being so annoying...

but its not so long ago i was like that, didnt give a crap what people thought or how i ate my subway.

............................... sigh
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all. It doesn't bother me in the slightest as long as the bus is fairly empty and they are not taking up the only spare seats.

I do it myself on long distance journeys to sleep. I always take my shoes off, of course. It is totally normal.

As for germs...I think people should be less prissy. I bit of muck is good for you. I sit on pavements. I use public toilets without first wiping the seat from the previous owner. And I'm still alive.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is pig ignorant as far as I am concerned. Just part of the selfish me me me attitude that is becoming more prevalent by the day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it does annoy me.
    I have been tempted myself but then I remind myself where my shoes have been and all the spit and dogs muck that are on the soles.
    We all like to put our feet up when at home but usually with our shoes off.
    I am however rmore annoyed when people sit in the aisle seat leaving the window seat vacant to make sure no one sits next to them.
    People who spit annoy me. They wouldn't do that on their carpets in their own houses.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Gotta say, this is something that does bug me even though I could probably be accused of doing it myself.

As a teenager I used to catch a bus at 6:45 in the morning to get me to college and, cos the bus was almost empty, I used to sit on the back seat and I'd put one leg up with my foot hanging over the edge of the seat and then put the other leg on top of the first one.
    That way neither of my feet were anywhere near the seats.

It used to irk me that my mates would just plonk their feet on the seats but I guess it would have seemed a little hypocritical to point it out.
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Maxiscot wrote: »
    Hi
    I don't know if it is just me getting old but everytime I am on a commuter train there is always some person with their feet up on the seats opposite. I fight the temptation to say something to them - there could be dog's poo on their shoe after all. Should I say something? I just find this really bad manners - What does everyone else think?

I sit on their feet. They get the message and move. If they have a free piece of clothing, such as a jacket or scarf, I take this and wipe the seat with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sit on their feet. They get the message and move. If they have a free piece of clothing, such as a jacket or scarf, I take this and wipe the seat with it.

:eek: Tempting, but I wouldn't dare for fear of reprisal.
    Those sort of people have no respect for anyone.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Yes it annoys me just like when people put chewing gum on the seats.