Options

Moffat: "fairly stupid people"

outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
Forum Member
"There’s been a weird backlash among, I presume, fairly stupid people about the fact the shows are complicated and clever, but they’re both huge international hits... We make no apology. Don’t expect to do the ironing; sit down, pay attention and think about it. Audiences like complexity. They follow intricately plotted soap operas all the time. It depresses me when people say, ‘It’s all far too clever.'"

It was on DS yesterday but I read it here. I know that the previous producer was pilloried for not showing due deference to viewers. Should a person in Moffat's position give an honest opinion or should he keep it to himself, lest he upset people who disagree with him?

[news]Steven Moffat slams "fairly stupid" 'Doctor Who', 'Sherlock' cynics[/news]

Comments

• Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with a producer answering his critics, but I think it should be done diplomatically and with tact, so as not to push anybody off the fence and into the critics. Moffatt doesn't appear to share my concern.

That said, like him I don't really understand the criticism. The programmes just aren't very complicated. They're clever by television standards, but that's barely more of a compliment than being an interesting presenter by GMTV standards.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, as much as I like Moffat, surely calling people stupid is not the best thing to do? Also, i'm not entirely sure that last series was clever, just complicated. My opinion though. :)
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Hmm, as much as I like Moffat, surely calling people stupid is not the best thing to do? Also, i'm not entirely sure that last series was clever, just complicated. My opinion though. :)

Yeah, IMO there were a few things wrong with the
    over-complicated arc of the last series,
    and by calling people who took issue with the plot
    "fairly stupid people", Moffat comes across as
    tactless and intolerant. :mad: He seems to be
    taking after Russell T. Davies here (remember
    when RTD called people who disliked
    reality TV as "idiots?" :eek: ).
    From DWM Issue 360 Sep. 2005:

Benjamin Cook: Are there too many reality shows on television?
    RTD: Anyone who dismisses an entire genre, an entire taste,is just an idiot.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    As much as it loathes me, it does ring a bell as to what Russell T. said when he killed off Ianto in Children Of Earth.

Basically: It's my show. This is how i do it. Don't like it. Don't watch it.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Too clever? I always thought it was dumbed down these days.

"Logopolis","Castrolvalva" and "Kinda" were my idea of clever.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    Hmmm nice job at trying to win people over. lol
    Using the logic 'well you're obviously too stupid to get it' never ends well.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh, makes no difference to me. He could drive a truck through my house and I'll still happily tune in for Series 7.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I think this might come back and bite him. :D I do agree with his sentiment, though I'd not label viewers 'stupid'. But he is right, in a lot of cases, if people watch properly things make sense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Yeah, IMO there were a few things wrong with the
    over-complicated arc of the last series,
    and by calling people who took issue with the plot
    "fairly stupid people", Moffat comes across as
    tactless and intolerant. :mad: He seems to be
    taking after Russell T. Davies here (remember
    when RTD called people who disliked
    reality TV as "idiots?" :eek: ).

He's saying exactly the OPPOSITE of what you think he's saying! What he is saying is people who make generalisations about a genre (i.e - "All Reality TV is rubbish") are idiots.

RTD loves reality TV. That's why he wrote 'Bad Wolf', remember? I'm sure he states that in the accompanying confidential.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emby2 wrote: »
    He's saying exactly the OPPOSITE of what you think he's saying! What he is saying is people who make generalisations about a genre (i.e - "All Reality TV is rubbish") are idiots.

RTD loves reality TV. That's why he wrote 'Bad Wolf', remember? I'm sure he states that in the accompanying confidential.

Surely saying that people who make generalisations on TV genres are idiots is hypocritical as he is making a generalisation about people who make generalisations for TV genres,

Just saying :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, at least he's being honest and direct, if perhaps not so tactful...

I can empathise though. He has a grueling schedule to work to, he clearly loves DW, he pours his heart and soul into it, yet last series he got a lot of crap about falling ratings (that weren't falling) and overly-complicated plots (which weren't overly complicated. More complex than we're used to, certainly, but nothing that was too difficult to follow).
    So I understand if he feels a bit frustrated now and then.

As another poster said, though, he could personally demolish my house and I'd still be watching Series 7, Episode 1 the second it came on.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It all makes sense now. Moffat and Tingramretro are one and the same.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I think, if you'll read it again, he's saying that the people who think that clever or complicated are bad things, are stupid. Not that you're stupid if you think it's clever. He's saying that despite cleverness and complication, it's still hugely enjoyed by many people, so if you think it's the death of the series, you're wrong.

The only stupid people are the ones that never ask questions. That's probably not a saying, but it should be.
  • Options
    Nikki E.Nikki E. Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Fairly stupid people' sounds like a really good title for a song.:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm nice job at trying to win people over. lol
    Using the logic 'well you're obviously too stupid to get it' never ends well.

Worked for the "No to AV" campaign.
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    outside wrote: »
    "There’s been a weird backlash among, I presume, fairly stupid people about the fact the shows are complicated and clever, but they’re both huge international hits... We make no apology. Don’t expect to do the ironing; sit down, pay attention and think about it. Audiences like complexity. They follow intricately plotted soap operas all the time. It depresses me when people say, ‘It’s all far too clever.'"

It was on DS yesterday but I read it here. I know that the previous producer was pilloried for not showing due deference to viewers. Should a person in Moffat's position give an honest opinion or should he keep it to himself, lest he upset people who disagree with him?

I wish Steven Moffatt would go be a fan of something else!
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I don't mind Moffat or RTD speaking their minds. He's not going to win any prizes for charm or tact though. Judging from the hurt nursed by some delicate little souls over RTD's comments there are some thin skinned people around who will love being given a reason to further justify their dislike of him.

Just sounds like he's letting off steam about the flack he thinks he's getting for the series six arc. It's interesting that he lumps Doctor Who and Sherlock together like that. I've read plenty of criticism over the series six arc for being too convoluted/"clever"/daft, but none directed at Sherlock.

I think he's putting up a bit of a straw man there. Portraying critics of the series six arc as critics of "clever" television scripts generally. Much of the best criticism of series six was not complaining that cleverness will shed viewers. Mostly that, in their opinion, series six was hobbled by some poor ideas. That the "cleverness" didn't entirely reward the viewer for paying close attention over a series that spread its mysteries from April to September.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steven1977 wrote: »
    I wish Steven Moffatt would go be a fan of something else!

A forlorn hope, I think. He's been an avid viewer since his earliest memories and this is his dream job.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I think he's putting up a bit of a straw man there. Portraying critics of the series six arc as critics of "clever" television scripts generally. Much of the best criticism of series six was not complaining that cleverness will shed viewers.
    Sure, the best criticism wasn't. But it's not that criticism he's talking about. Again, he's not classifying all critics as stupid, or that critics don't have a point.

There are valid criticisms to make about Series 6 - but those aren't the ones that were splashed all over the newspapers.

"Being complicated" is a good thing, and not something Moffat is ever going to compromise on. We can only hope that he follows through with complicated things that everyone can enjoy.
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The notable thing about threads like this is that the kind of people who write endless screeds of hatred or derision about the creative people on the show that they happen to dislike the work of then get very shrill and sensitive if said person dishes a bit back. They think they can take pot shots and say anything they want to about these people, and say 'it's only my opinion and i'm entitled to it', but apparently they don't think that it works both ways. Well, if you talk sh£$ about someone, they have a right to reply. You critique them and they can critique you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sure, the best criticism wasn't. But it's not that criticism he's talking about. Again, he's not classifying all critics as stupid, or that critics don't have a point.

There are valid criticisms to make about Series 6 - but those aren't the ones that were splashed all over the newspapers.

"Being complicated" is a good thing, and not something Moffat is ever going to compromise on. We can only hope that he follows through with complicated things that everyone can enjoy.

I didn't need anything repeated thanks. I didn't say that Moffat has literally cast all critics and all possible criticism of series six as stupid.

I commented on his putting Doctor Who (implied series six arc) and Sherlock in the same sentence. Making a strong association that the fairly stupid people he had in mind are generally criticising both and for the same reason. Disarming criticism of the series six arc by equating it with the generally less criticised Sherlock plots.

He knows that a popular shorthand for series six is "complicated" and it seems to me he intends to imply (although not literally say) that stupidity is a major reason for not having enjoyed it.

But its no big deal. I'm not offended in the slightest. If there exist people who really have said that both Doctor Who and Sherlock should avoid complexity in favour of extremely simple plots then I'd disagree with them too.

I also think youve put words in his mouth. He doesn't appear to have given the clarifications that you describe.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few time the last season of DW left me scratching my head in frustration. Nice to know I'm fairly stupid.:(
  • Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't find the storyline weaving through series 6 in any way complicated; utterly tedious to the point of making me consider stopping watching, perhaps, but not complicated. On the other hand, the season 5 finale made absolutely no sense to me at all. By Mr Moffat's reasoning, that makes me stupid. Surprisingly, I don't agree with him there. For one thing, I can recognise when a script needs, shall we say, a little tightening up - tying up the loose ends and filling in the gaping plot holes so that what comes out on screen is something more than convoluted, unintelligible tripe. Despite it being part of his job, the ever humble Mr Moffat rather stupidly appears not to recognise this, pushing the responsibility for the story making sense on to the viewer - "if you don't get it, it's your fault, thicko". So, stupid and arrogant.

God, and to think I quite liked him when he started :eek:
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    I thought he was a nice person but after that comment he now comes across as big headed and arrogant.
  • Options
    sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with him. I like simple stuff but I also like a good old twisty turny mystery that, actually keeps my interest more so than the simpler stories. I actually think thats one of the reasons I was a little disappointed with series 6 part 2. We had all these amazing spectacular plots with the promise of a brilliant finale (which we actually got, I seem to be one of the few who loved wedding of River Song) but first (after the brilliant Lets Kill Hitler) we had to suffer through single episodes which while brilliant and would have been fantastic in other series seemed really out of place next to these other giants and, actually bored me, I was expecting such a high standard throughout series 6. I say lets have more! You want simple stuff, go watch talent shows with talentless star judged by talentless panellists (that comment doesent apply to David Walliams, he is amd alway will be brilliant, even if he is on Britains got talent)