Options

Antibiotics for adult acne

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,811
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've got an appointment to see my doctor regarding my persisting adult acne which is now spreading to my chest which is as attractive as you can imagine :(

I'm after some antibiotics and possibly a topical cream. Any recommendations please? I've heard doxycycline is good.

Comments

• Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doxycycline doesn't really do anything, and you won't be able to just buy an effective topical cream OTC. Ask your doctor to refer you to a dermatologist.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took antibiotics (can't remember the name, very mild dose) for at least 6 months for my acne in adulthood. Nothing else had worked, but it did a great job. After I stopped taking it, the acne stayed away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gmphmac wrote: »
    Doxycycline doesn't really do anything, and you won't be able to just buy an effective topical cream OTC. Ask your doctor to refer you to a dermatologist.

The doctors at my job seem to prescribe it quite a bit, and I don't have insurance. I'm guessing it would be up to a 13 week wait on the NHS
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably Erythromycin is what is commonly given..
  • Options
    Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »

Is that the one that makes a lot of people violently sick? I tried something like that, never again.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member

Is that a tablet form of the stuff you put on your skin? I was given zynert which goes on your skin and contains erythromycin i think. The stuff stinks and stains clothes if it gets on it!

Just googled what i was given and its zineryt. Only just clicked it gets its name from the two ingredients zinc and erythromycin. Mind blown :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter had Erythromycin tabs which she was fine with and I forget the name of the cream. might have been Panoxyl which dried her skin out but did get rid of the acne.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter had Erythromycin tabs which she was fine with and I forget the name of the cream. might have been Panoxyl which dried her skin out but did get rid of the acne.

how long was she on it for?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She only had the tablets for a couple of months but used the cream for longer. It did make a marked difference though.
  • Options
    WizsisterWizsister Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    im taking antibiotics at the moment. tetracycline is the general term the brand name for mine is lymecycline. ive been on them before and they worked when combined with the pill. ive stopped taking the pill which is why my acne has comeback, and i dont want to go back on it. So seeing if the antibiotics work on there own this time.
  • Options
    x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to take erythromycin and use Dalacin t topical lotion which worked for me, the erythromycin gave me thrush tho so I stopped using it.

I use OTC panoxyl which is 2.5% and it really dries my skin out (it doesn't work either) so I can't imagine what prescribed panoxyl does, which can be 5 or 10%!
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    jamcake wrote: »
    I've got an appointment to see my doctor regarding my persisting adult acne which is now spreading to my chest which is as attractive as you can imagine :(

I'm after some antibiotics and possibly a topical cream. Any recommendations please? I've heard doxycycline is good.

This is the one favoured by most GPs here in ireland for bad acne

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/skin-and-hair/medicines/duac-once-daily-gel.html
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The doctors at my job seem to prescribe it quite a bit, and I don't have insurance. I'm guessing it would be up to a 13 week wait on the NHS

They put me on it as well, but it didn't help at all. I had to wait several months for an appointment with a dermatologist, and even then all they did was prescribe a course of Accutane (which I refused to take).
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to take erythromycin and use Dalacin t topical lotion which worked for me, the erythromycin gave me thrush tho so I stopped using it.

My antibiotics also caused persistent thrush - I kept getting it every month. Glad I don't have to take them anymore. I only get the odd spot before my period now. The rest of my skin is really plain now.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Either Oxytet or trimethoprin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trimethroprin is used for UTIs.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Trimethroprin is used for UTIs.

I had it for acne. it's not that commonly used but it had better results than Oxytet for me.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taking antibiotics for acne in my late teens/twenties ruined my intestines and made me feel quite unwell. It left me with a badly irritable bowel. If I could I'd go back and suffer the acne, which has improved drastically anyway since I cut dairy and chocolate from my diet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you male or female? Dianette is really effective and acts as birth control too. Much better than antibiotics imo.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laser therapy is good too. A friend of mine had it. Helps with the scars and bacteria that cause it.
  • Options
    pmyoungpmyoung Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I had to take Roacutane when I was a teenager. It was prescribed by a dermatologist and it was really good and solved my problems. The only side effect was dry lips. It was the best decision of my life to take it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the one favoured by most GPs here in ireland for bad acne

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/skin-and-hair/medicines/duac-once-daily-gel.html
    I don't have bad acne per say. It's a lot better than what it used to be. Mostly it's the cystic acne around my jawline and neck, and now chest that's bothersome. I've heard of Duac as well from work, I'll mention it to my GP. Thanks.
    gmphmac wrote: »
    They put me on it as well, but it didn't help at all. I had to wait several months for an appointment with a dermatologist, and even then all they did was prescribe a course of Accutane (which I refused to take).
    Wise. Not interested in that or it's sisters...
    Are you male or female? Dianette is really effective and acts as birth control too. Much better than antibiotics imo.
    I'm a female. I'm considering the pill now actually, since I've found out antibiotics can cause an increase in YI. :eek:

I'm thinking Yasmin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I was given tablets (I forget the name sorry) but I stopped taking them because they made me ill. I was constantly dizzy when I took them, to the point I passed out in work one day.

I also had a face wash called Panoxyl. It was excellent. I still use it when I have an especially bad flare up. It makes your skin dry but to get around that I used it every second or third day. I saw an improvement almost straight away. My acne wasn't very severe though.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Wizsister wrote: »
    im taking antibiotics at the moment. tetracycline is the general term the brand name for mine is lymecycline. ive been on them before and they worked when combined with the pill. ive stopped taking the pill which is why my acne has comeback, and i dont want to go back on it. So seeing if the antibiotics work on there own this time.

the reason they want you on the pill is because lymecycline deforms babies if you get pregnant when on it, which is why i refused to take it just in case
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I don't have bad acne per say. It's a lot better than what it used to be. Mostly it's the cystic acne around my jawline and neck, and now chest that's bothersome. I've heard of Duac as well from work, I'll mention it to my GP. Thanks.

Wise. Not interested in that or it's sisters...

I'm a female. I'm considering the pill now actually, since I've found out antibiotics can cause an increase in YI. :eek:

I'm thinking Yasmin.

I am on duac and it is really good in my teenage years i was on roaccutane and the acne only came back after having my kids cos of changes in hormones, i refuse to take antibiotics or tablets just in case i get pregnant