Nietzsche is dead.
    God never existed in the first place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Titan9 wrote: »
    Said Nietzsche... Who is dead.

I don't think you understand what is meant by it but you are forgiven.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

God is forever!

oh god
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

God is forever!

That's what they said about Zeus, where is he now:cry:
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

God is forever!

That just about puts God on par with diamonds. But they're more shiny so I think they take the win.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Is this where 'a storm in a teacup' came from?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At first I thought his comment was all a bit apropos nothing.

But apparently he was merely replying to somebody who had been mouthing off about how what a wonderful contribution to science islam had made.

He was merely pointing out that islam has made very little contribution to science for quite some time now. Which is true.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    It was Nobel prizes, not Nobel peace prizes. And if you read the article, it's clear why he pointed out the statistic. He was responding to boasts from Muslims regarding the size of their religion and the superiority of their scientific achievements.

The Muslim boasts about science (mostly based off of translations of greek and latin texts) are up there with boasts about Mussolini making the trains run on time. It isn't exactly encouraging when someone is clearly reaching for any justification.
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    Dick Dawkins will have passed away, but Islam will live forever.

God is Great!

You're not really helping to disprove his argument are you :D

- Islam (like Christianity has ) will eventually wither away.
  • Options
    dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Nietzsche is dead. God.

God is forever!
    RIP:)
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    That just about puts God on par with diamonds. But they're more shiny so I think they take the win.

Diamonds are cheap tat though, only forged in the earth over a few billion years. Gold, now gold was made by collapsing supernovae and has been around for over 12 billion years. You can keep your diamonds.

Anyway, this muslim science, is that the one where fresh water doesn't mix with sea water?
  • Options
    ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Anyway, this muslim science, is that the one where fresh water doesn't mix with sea water?
    What hand to wipe your posterior with, what magic incantation to whisper to fend off evil spirits, how to dip flies in water to cure diseases, how Satan burps in your mouth if you yawn without covering your mouth, and why women are deficient in intelligence. Things like that.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Secularism, yes please. But not a Dawkins-ruled world where believers are sneered at, othered and regarded as inferior beings. No thanks.
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Secularism, yes please. But not a Dawkins-ruled world where believers are sneered at, othered and regarded as inferior beings. No thanks.

since when is stating fact sneering ?
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dawkins doesn't sneer at believers nor regard them as inferior beings, have you never seen him in discussions with intelligent believers? Obviously he feels their beliefs are incorrect.

What he doesn't believe is that believers should have a privileged position immune from criticism. Religions are so used to this privileged position that they find it hard to accept the idea of not having it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    since when is stating fact sneering ?

Oh it most definitely can be. And Dawkins does 'sneering' very well.

He doesn't always stick to the facts either. I've seen him link to tabloid articles with facts missing/distorted in order to make his point. Not very 'scientific'.

I've also noticed a sort of cult-like following of Dawkins. He seems to be a God-like figure to some of his followers. It's quite ironic really.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think there would have been a Twitter storm if Richard Dawkins had posted tweets against Christians. I don't think Owen Jones and other atheists would have been so offended that they wanted to distance themselves from Richard Dawkins. The articles that have been written against the tweets Richard Dawkins wrote against Muslims would not have been written if those tweets were about Christians.

If I have to choose between Richard Dawkins and the Muslims and atheists he has offended with his tweets about Muslims, I would choose Richard Dawkins.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly you've never seen an interview with him or read a book of his. He does not think believers are inferior, he regards their beliefs as intellectual nonsense. But don't let that get in the way of a good jump on the bandwagon bashing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Dawkins doesn't sneer at believers nor regard them as inferior beings, have you never seen him in discussions with intelligent believers? Obviously he feels their beliefs are incorrect.

What he doesn't believe is that believers should have a privileged position immune from criticism. Religions are so used to this privileged position that they find it hard to accept the idea of not having it.

Been following him on twitter for ages, and it's gone way beyond the bit in bold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've also noticed a sort of cult-like following of Dawkins. He seems to be a God-like figure to some of his followers. It's quite ironic really.
    I think this is gonna be hard to beat for the most ridiculous thing said in the thread. But it's still early days yet.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    ishina wrote: »
    I think this is gonna be hard to beat for the most ridiculous thing said in the thread. But it's still early days yet.

I think you underestimate religion threads on DS:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ishina wrote: »

I see his sneering is contagious :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly you've never seen an interview with him or read a book of his. He does not think believers are inferior, he regards their beliefs as intellectual nonsense. But don't let that get in the way of a good jump on the bandwagon bashing.

There's more to the man than his interviews (pre-prepared) and his books (edited). Reading his twitter timeline yesterday (and other days too) paints a different picture (to me, anyway).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    I think you underestimate religion threads on DS:D
    Yeah, probably.