Rape Victim spared 100 lashes after global anger

2»

Comments

• AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely mind boggling that a girl who was raped was the one who was punished, makes me sick, does this country know it's 2013? Heck, scrap that....do they have moral/ethics at all?
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Absolutely mind boggling that a girl who was raped was the one who was punished, makes me sick, does this country know it's 2013? Heck, scrap that....do they have moral/ethics at all?

Sadly the Maldives coalition government has a lot of hardliners in it , the moves appear to be backwards and not forwards , the tourism industry was edgy when it heard that same sex beaches, spas and alcohol licences would come to an end

The Ministry of Islamic Affairs already issued notices banning public dancing and spas in Male at the end of last year , the government pushed by its Tourism Minister said the Ministry had no right to do so and rejected it, but things are not looking good there for the future and they heavily rely on tourism.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Nine out of 10 sentences for flogging in the Maldives in 2011 were given to women, while no one has been convicted of rape in the past three years."

Absolutely disgusting :(

I wish tourists would stop visiting places like Dubai and the Maldives.

also:
    One in three women between the ages of 15 and 49 has suffered either physical or sexual abuse over the past five years.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    any country that would consider punishing the victim of a crime is an absolute shit pan and not worth visiting