Collectaholics. Tonight BBC2 8-9pm

Comments

• chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Got around to watching my recording tonight. Reminds me of the daytime antiques programmes where the experts just want to get people to sell things. They don't understand people wanting to collect things, in their mind you just buy things to sell for a profit and not because you want to keep them in a collection.

There's a ghastly radio advert along the lines of "I found an old watch in George's drawer....blah....blah....blah... sold it...... £3500 in my account"

1. HER account? It's his watch, ffs.
    2. Perhaps it was there and unworn for a reason; (I still wear my dad's 21st birthday Omega - he would have been 100 earlier this month)

BellaRosa wrote: »
    I agree with you, we are losing too many original items. I had a perfect 1 pint Shell oil can. I moved to a property that had to have a major overhaul so had everything outside totally covered in tarpaulin. When the work was finished I pulled the sheet back and found it in a plastic box of water. Totally rusty. I will admit I did cry. How the water got in I will never know :(

I fume when I see a programme on tv about buying homes at auctions and there are beautiful original fireplaces, cupboards and nook and crannies and they are ripped out or filled in :(

In my working life I was a probate manager in a law firm, and still shudder when I wonder about how many valuable, or even just plain interesting, collections were "binned" by unsympathetic beneficiaries as being "just a load of old junk". And, before you ask, yes, guilty as charged - my grandmother's photo album with WWI photos went to the dump, and half a nano-second later I realised what I'd done :o:o

@ sazuburns When I was in Singapore last June, there was a Star Wars exhibition, with a huge number of models, in the Philatelic Museum
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

Nice looking phone.

We had a Trimfone once, when you tried to dial it shot off the hall table. We got rid of it.

I think a lot of people have a collecting hobby. I've two vintage vinyl jukeboxes and three jukebox wall boxes and I ain't finished yet, much to my wife's dismay.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »

They are quite Hi-tech looking.

I could always tell when someone had been using my candlestick as they put the receiver the wrong way up :D

I have a bit of a 'thing' with phones :blush: I have a couple of trim phones and would love an American phone that is in shows like Columbo. They just look normal but I want one :(

The annoying thing with the oldie phones are the press this button for such n such.
    Forum Member
    Yes it was a bit "plastic" I mentioned the 1950s Dansette and the 1960s radio.
    Although dozens are offered for "silly money" and a few even sell at that price, you can pick up a working 1940s telephone for less than fifty quid, or a "retro" one with a working dial, for just over thirty, on eBay

An original phone would be a must for me. The sound of the bells :)
    Forum Member
    chestfield wrote: »
    In my working life I was a probate manager in a law firm, and still shudder when I wonder about how many valuable, or even just plain interesting, collections were "binned" by unsympathetic beneficiaries as being "just a load of old junk". And, before you ask, yes, guilty as charged - my grandmother's photo album with WWI photos went to the dump, and half a nano-second later I realised what I'd done :o:o

Noooooooo That is heartbreaking :(
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,764
    Forum Member
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    Of the three, I couldn't really sympathize with Beer Can Man. I think it is only about numbers of cans whereby the other two really had created a nostalgic world full of interesting things. esp. Railway Man - his collections were fabulous..

Railway man's collections were beautiful. If I was Mrs Beer Can man, I think I'd have divorced him years ago!:D
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been to view the local auction house and there is a huge collection of Coca Cola items, from old advertising signs, trays, hundred of cans and bottles, anything and everything with Coca Cola written on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Just been to view the local auction house and there is a huge collection of Coca Cola items, from old advertising signs, trays, hundred of cans and bottles, anything and everything with Coca Cola written on it.

But Is it the real thing? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its at Hansons sale on Monday, you can look it up on their catalogue, March Coca Cola and Toys auction.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other thing that always gets me with antiques programmes is all the fuss about insurance. In the example of the watch in the radio advert above, if that watch was a family heirloom and worth £3500 then what is the point in paying a large amount to insure it because a heirloom is irreplaceable.
    Forum Member

Where's that *rollseyes* smillie......

:D
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Dammit, I missed this, will have to catch it on iPlayer later. I don't remember seeing it late in the evening last week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All those stuffed animals is gruesome.:o
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,764
    Forum Member

I know, can't stand stuffed animals!
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    In the Dark - very spooky.:o

Liked the Salt & Pepper containers.

But the Mason China, big drop in price - still a good way of selling it.
  • sazuburnssazuburns Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Oh my word, the clip is up... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01w2s3f
  • sazuburnssazuburns Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Just a reminder - the last episode is on tomorrow night, 8pm BBC2.
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He must have a lot of cash ...
    Forum Member
    sazuburns wrote: »
    Just a reminder - the last episode is on tomorrow night, 8pm BBC2.

I can see you ;-)

This man brought another house :o but a great collection. Must be worth a fortune.
    Forum Member
    He must have a lot of cash ...

His wife even said Grahams house !
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £50k .... I think not
    Forum Member
    That's madness :o