Fifteen to One starts again next Saturday

Comments

• PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pericom wrote: »
    Good thing about the old WG Stewart 15-1 was the fast paced questions and no fluff inbetween. With a comedian hosting the new series I don't have much hope of it being any good :/

Exactly . Now it looks like we are going to suffer all the back stories .
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she promoted this on This Morning today and said she has to add her own humour with the contestants - it is just HER..and yes she did say about getting to know all the contestants
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    she promoted this on This Morning today and said she has to add her own humour with the contestants - it is just HER..and yes she did say about getting to know all the contestants

I don't know if Tokswig has a sense of humor. Her last attempt at a quiz show was very dull so I'll give it miss.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if Tokswig has a sense of humor. Her last attempt at a quiz show was very dull so I'll give it miss.
    I can tell you that she has, she's a witty lady. Just listen to the News Quiz.

I was thinking today - if they're tinkering and extending this and adding humour and a whole lot of us are dreading it - I wonder whether they could be persuaded to do an edited version for humourless old farts like us. (Actually I do have a sense of humour but don't want something good spoiled by it. )

An edited version could work: both QI and the News Quiz do 'extended' versions where the less of the original recorded programme is omitted than for their main 30 minute broadcast and this could do the opposite by cutting out the chatter, leaving a tighter, shorter programme for those who enjoyed the original format.
  • rory rrory r Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Great that it's coming back, always enjoyed the show. Hope they have not arsed about with it too much and keep it fast and simple. Not sure about Sandi though, shame old willie couldn't do it.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Why don't we all take a step back and wait for the first episode to air before shooting it down in flames?

What a wonderfully refreshing idea :cool:

Looking forward to seeing Sandi as a presenter.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elfcurry wrote: »
    PS I like Sandi but how will they ensure she's not be chatty, funny or witty? It's what she does.

I've never found her to be either, so I doubt that'll be a problem. ;-) :D
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great quiz show in its day but sandi totsvig as a presenter not a great thought
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Not one that I've ever noticed.

People saying 'give it a chance' but, unfortunately, I don't like Toksvig and never have done. She used to pop up in 'Time Team' and her appearances were often excruciating. She did some dreadful crap on BBC2, a sort of antiques quiz. She was predictably annoying.

What irks me is that the people behind this reboot clearly think the audience is so DUMB that they won't watch if there's not some cosy chatting and lame attempts at humour. But then 'dumb' is what Channel4 doesn't best so perhaps it's no surprise.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good thing about the old WG Stewart 15-1 was the fast paced questions and no fluff inbetween. With a comedian hosting the new series I don't have much hope of it being any good :/

Just saw a very brief clip of the new 15-1 and sadly looks like the fast pace is gone .
    It was only very brief so here's hoping they have kept the fast pace .
    Forum Member
    Paace wrote: »
    Just saw a very brief clip of the new 15-1 and sadly looks like the fast pace is gone .
    It was only very brief so here's hoping they have kept the fast pace .

I think it's almost impossible that the new version won't be inferior to the old one. It's seems that 'updating' things or 'bringing them back' always results in poor results.

It's going to be awful, there's no question of it. The 15-to-1 title actually used to mean something and attracted some of the best quizzers in the country. Now it sounds like it's got all the quiz pedigree of 'Pointless'.

I hope it's an utter disaster, a ratings flop and gets cancelled after one series.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to be awful, there's no question of it. The 15-to-1 title actually used to mean something and attracted some of the best quizzers in the country. Now it sounds like it's got all the quiz pedigree of 'Pointless'.

What are you talking about? Everyone wants that trophy.

Your last words are also needlessly malicious for a quiz show you haven't even seen yet.
    Forum Member
    Lenitive wrote: »

Your last words are also needlessly malicious for a quiz show you haven't even seen yet.

Yes, they wanted it when the questions weren't dumbed down, when it was a proper challenge and before it turned into a soapbox for Toksvig to 'get to know' the contestants and share her little pearls of humour with us.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    If they're going to change it that much, why bother resurrecting an old, much loved tv series at all? Why not create a brand new, chatty quiz format or are channel 4 totally devoid of original ideas now? Stupid question, really. :(
    Forum Member
    If they're going to change it that much, why bother resurrecting an old, much loved tv series at all? Why not create a brand new, chatty quiz format or are channel 4 totally devoid of original ideas now? Stupid question, really. :(

Agreed >:(
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Yes, they wanted it when the questions weren't dumbed down, when it was a proper challenge and before it turned into a soapbox for Toksvig to 'get to know' the contestants and share her little pearls of humour with us.
    I think Lenitive meant the Pointless trophy.

Anyway, I think all the Toksvig hate is because people don't like a presenter who has some intelligence.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I completely agree. I actually think Toksvig is good on The News Quiz and when she appears on things like QI, but she should not have been chosen for what was the blue riband of quiz shows. It's going to be like any other modern daytime quiz show which is a great shame and an insult to the brilliant original.
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I think Lenitive meant the Pointless trophy.

Anyway, I think all the Toksvig hate is because people don't like a presenter who has some intelligence.

Try harder then.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Apart from Billy G's annual rant about the Elgin Marbles :)
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    I completely agree. I actually think Toksvig is good on The News Quiz and when she appears on things like QI, but she should not have been chosen for what was the blue riband of quiz shows. It's going to be like any other modern daytime quiz show which is a great shame and an insult to the brilliant original.

Agreed. The original was one of the best quiz formats ever devised and now it's been dumbed down to cater for motor-mouth Toxic Toksvig and an inane daytime TV audience.
    Forum Member
    The new show has its own Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/Fifteentoone

It has the nerve to call itself "possibly the greatest quiz show ever" although fortunately the avatar cleverly obscures the picture of Toksvig's face, lol
  • Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. The original was one of the best quiz formats ever devised and now it's been dumbed down to cater for motor-mouth Toxic Toksvig and an inane daytime TV audience.

I think you will find that the original was a daytime show! The new series is on every day Mon-Fri at 4.30.
  • shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think l'll wait until I actually see the show before I form an opinion (weird aren't I?). I like Sandi Toksvig, but have no idea what kind of presenter she'll make on a show like that. I hope it is a success as I was on the original show in the 80s - perhaps I can make a comeback.
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member

Why would you call her "Toxic Toksvig"?
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shankly123 wrote: »
    I think l'll wait until I actually see the show before I form an opinion (weird aren't I?). I like Sandi Toksvig, but have no idea what kind of presenter she'll make on a show like that. I hope it is a success as I was on the original show in the 80s - perhaps I can make a comeback.

Ah, someone else who has some sense, rather than going off on multiple pointless rants.