Options

Deeply unfashionable singers and groups

Comments

• Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure magazines like the NME and magazines of that ilk (are the NME cool?) seemed to champion them from fairly early on into their career. Also the Arctic Monkeys did a cover of Love Machine (whether they did it because they loved the song or were being ironic I'm not so sure).

Wasn't the original done by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles ? So I suppose the Arctic Monkeys did it because they liked the original rather than doing it because Girls Aloud did it.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    Wasn't the original done by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles ? So I suppose the Arctic Monkeys did it because they liked the original rather than doing it because Girls Aloud did it.

Two different songs.

...Very different songs :D
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way did the NME champion Girls Aloud. The Beautiful South and before them The Housemartins were/are both great bands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    No way did the NME champion Girls Aloud.

They did, kind of. I can only find these articles at the moment

http://version2.andrewkendall.com/pages/published/magazines/showpage/107/

http://xenomanianews.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/end-of-decade-sound-of-overground-nme.html

but I can remember them being presented as a sort of acceptable guilty pleasure. And I think they went to a few NME awards nights.

ETA: http://www.nme.com/news/arctic-monkeys/26864
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two different songs.

Plus The Miracles song was recorded long after Smokey Robinson had left. IIRC, it was Billy Griffin in lead vocals by that point
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People seem to laugh when I mention Pig Destroyer. Not sure if that's because they are unfashionable though.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    One Direction if you're older than about 13.
  • Options
    laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    :o

Yes it bloody is :p:D

Older women aren't the borg. We don't just get to a particular age & suddenly start listening to dull, MOR crap. Older women who do, probably listened to crap when they were younger too.

Great post Electra, was going to say this but you beat me to it and much more eloquently! I am 60 and 2 nights ago was rocking to Foreigner, Europe and FM at a packed-out Hammersmith Odeon (i refuse to call it by its new name the Eventim Apollo - what a abomination!). Also looking forward to 3 Magnum gigs in the next month. Some might regard these bands as unfashionable but they continue to sell out every venue they play. Buble may achieve this as well but you wouldn't catch me within a mile of one his concerts!
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great post Electra, was going to say this but you beat me to it and much more eloquently! I am 60 and 2 nights ago was rocking to Foreigner, Europe and FM at a packed-out Hammersmith Odeon (i refuse to call it by its new name the Eventim Apollo - what a abomination!). Also looking forward to 3 Magnum gigs in the next month. Some might regard these bands as unfashionable but they continue to sell out every venue they play. Buble may achieve this as well but you wouldn't catch me within a mile of one his concerts!

Foreigner are less fashionable than Buble in the sense of less popular. And in every sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Plus The Miracles song was recorded long after Smokey Robinson had left. IIRC, it was Billy Griffin in lead vocals by that point

Cheers for that. I didn't know.:)
  • Options
    laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    Foreigner are less fashionable than Buble in the sense of less popular. And in every sense.

Well that's your opinion, but tell that to their continued capacity audiences and they will just laugh at you. Still, it takes all sorts I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two different songs.

Opps are they? I will have a listen on you tube:) I don't pay much attention to GA. Not a great fan.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember Hue and Cry?. They were ghastly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Opps are they? I will have a listen on you tube:) I don't pay much attention to GA. Not a great fan.

I can't claim to be either, but Love Machine isn't a bad pop song for what it is :)
  • Options
    scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Scouting for Girls, James Blunt, David Gray and Moby are more uncool acts

My bold.

Just wondering when or why Moby became deeply unfashionable... Did people tire of him, move on, or was it some particular release that did it?
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Susanne Vega

I doubt that. Vega usually gets good reviews from the music press, and is
    well regarded by fellow musicians like R.E.M.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    scrilla wrote: »
    My bold.

Just wondering when or why Moby became deeply unfashionable... Did people tire of him, move on, or was it some particular release that did it?

Maybe allowing his music to be used in all those ads was seen as "selling out"-
    granted, bands let their music be licensed all the time, but Moby might
    have been seen as going too far.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mick hucknell
    color me bad
    chris de burgh
    elaine paige
    david hasselhoff
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Aww lainey, that's so nice. I feel really mean now.....
    Jumbobones wrote: »

....for very nearly agreeing with this. Since when is popularity an indication of anything?

However.....you made up for it with Magnum :)

My last gig was Turisas :kitty: Only about 200 in the audience but they rocked!
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cannot believe Celine Dion nor Barbra Streisand have been mentioned. The epitome of overblown saccharine balladry. Though Celine is guilty pleasure :p
  • Options
    crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't agree with Suzanne Vega. Btw Hav_mor I mentioned Celine. ;)
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Cheap Trick, but I have been mocked for it. Listen to their first album.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help noticing most of the acts mentioned here have had fairly lengthy careers, perhaps it's no bad thing in the long run.

Were ABBA ever considered unfashionable? They've probably made more money in the last twenty years than when they were together.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm a massive fan but it seems to be uncool to be a Britney fan these days. Some people laugh at me when I say I listen to Britney. It seems a lot of those people are stuck in 2007 :( They don't realise that she's back on track now and doing ok.