The Official BBC2 50th Anniversary Thread

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A very happy birthday to BBC2 which celebrates its 50th birthday on Sunday April 20,also the first channel to transmit on 625 lines UHF in the UK and the first channel in Europe to go into colour on July 1, 1967 (BBC1 and ITV followed in 1969).Maybe she is a little middle-aged now but she can still come up with the goods on occasion - I look forward to the next 50 years.

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Call My Bluff was very twee but could be very funny !
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    They recut that two hour Happy Birthday BBC2 programme from 10 years ago tonight - first half hour. Pt 2 tomorrow and last hour next week.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though it started on the 20th April. It all went famously wrong on opening night when Battersea Power Station had a major failure. So the channel went off the air.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    shanders wrote: »
    They recut that two hour Happy Birthday BBC2 programme from 10 years ago tonight - first half hour. Pt 2 tomorrow and last hour next week.
    I watched it last night and thought it was older than that. Some of those celebs were looking well and now look a lot more than 10 years older.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Though it started on the 20th April. It all went famously wrong on opening night when Battersea Power Station had a major failure. So the channel went off the air.
    Promises to be a great nostalgic series! I remember the excitement as a child of spotting BBC2 in colour through a neighbour's window! Not sure I knew about the famous powercut, but the bizarre shot of the presenter saying goodnight in the dark holding a candle made it seem like the 1800's! :D I'm sure my dad would have remembered, but have no recollection of the Beat Girls, with Babs before Pans People. I did however, always love Pete and Dud and the Likely lads.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tis a pity no footage exists of ken tynan saying the first eff word on UK telly.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why couldn't they do a new show, all the talking head clips are from years ago?
    Forum Member
    Why couldn't they do a new show, all the talking head clips are from years ago?

10 years ago. Rather than making a new show they're just repeating this one stripped across the week. They are making a new quiz but it doesn't look great...
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Well, I haven't seen it before, would have been nice if they'd pushed the boat out a little, with a bit of re-editing and some newer footage.
    Is there anything else planned to mark the event, apart from this and the quiz?
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm disgusted the Beeb haven't done anything new to celebrate this, just trotted out a 10 year old 40th anniversary repeat.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm disgusted the Beeb haven't done anything new to celebrate this, just trotted out a 10 year old 40th anniversary repeat.
    They have done new things to celebrate it.
    They had All Abut Two and have a new 'classic' comedies coming up.
  • Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone remember Cartoon Two? Obscure arty cartoons from eastern Europe they would show on BBC2 in the early eighties? They were great.
    Forum Member
    This last half hour felt like the Jane Root show - constantly blowing her own trumpet.