Options

Black Mark on Macbook Pro

I've had my Macbook Pro since Christmas, and i've noticed some black marks appearing on the edge of the body. I've tried rubbing it with a cloth to get it off but it doesn't budge.

Is this just wear on the aluminium from my arm resting on it? Or is there a way to get it off?

Comments

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I have a couple of scratches on mine just under the keyboard but they're from all the bracelets I wear. Not sure about the black marks though. Could you upload a photo of them? Do you like the Mac so far?
  • Options
    PiazzaCharliePiazzaCharlie Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the old PowerBooks suffered from "pitting" (ours did to a degree), but our four year old MBP has been fine. Google "apple PowerBook pitting" and see if that's anything like what you're seeing. If you think yours is bad enough and may only get worse, it might be worth getting on to AppleCare about it whilst it's still under warranty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I found a better picture than the one I took online, it looks like this http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3808/macbn.jpg

@cnbcwatcher Yeah, I like it a lot
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    I found a better picture than the one I took online, it looks like this http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3808/macbn.jpg

its steve jobs trying to contact you from beyond the grave in turtle neck binary :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    its steve jobs trying to contact you from beyond the grave in turtle neck binary :D

:D:D All those years I slagged him off, now he decides to get revenge
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »

:D:D He's probably watching from the iCloud...

Hmm, I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm pleased you like it though. Once you go Mac you never go back. Mum bought a new Windows laptop last week and the graphics cad drivers are dodgy so I told her just to buy a Mac instead and don't bother about PCs again.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm pleased you like it though. Once you go Mac you never go back. Mum bought a new Windows laptop last week and the graphics cad drivers are dodgy so I told her just to buy a Mac instead and don't bother about PCs again.

Please don't start with all that guff, it reflects badly on us normal Apple users. Some of us actually manage to go through our lives without telling people (who didn't ask) what computer we own and getting all evangelical about the cult of Apple. :mad:
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its just the exterior coating worn back to the natural colour.

If it bothers you get some aluminium paint.
    It has happened to the aluminium on my Acer where the palm rests.

My Acer is 6+++ years old.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The colour is wearing off, edges are more prone to this than the rest.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I told my Mum she really ought to get a Mac too.

She came back with a lovely Jaeger from the charity shop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Please don't start with all that guff, it reflects badly on us normal Apple users. Some of us actually manage to go through our lives without telling people (who didn't ask) what computer we own and getting all evangelical about the cult of Apple. :mad:

Alright I'd better not mention it again. It's just that there were some problems with mum's new laptop and I thought she was sold a lemon and that she might have been better off with a Mac. The issue is resolved now (it was an issue with the graphics card drivers and I downloaded new ones from the 'net and it's working now - she's currently browsing the 'net on it) so I won't be trying to convert her to Mac again for a while.
    I told my Mum she really ought to get a Mac too.

She came back with a lovely Jaeger from the charity shop.

Did she not realise you meant a Mac computer? :D