Celebs and veneers/false teeth

Comments

• Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a dental nurse, the guy I work for always advises people not to have their dentures/veneers too white. Lightest yellow or a even a bit grey is the way to go if you want them to look natural.

When I had my crowns done, they held a little colour chart up against my teeth to make sure they matched my other teeth and looked natural
  • Brighton BhelleBrighton Bhelle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    When I had my crowns done, they held a little colour chart up against my teeth to make sure they matched my other teeth and looked natural

Natch, if you have a partial denture or crown, they all have to look the same and I speak as someone who has quite a few crowns and some bridgework, but for a full denture or front veneers, too white looks too false.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blummin' eck. Looking at some of these photos makes me feel a whole load better about the pots in my cupboard.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cher Lloyd seems to have had her's done now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Jeremy Kyle had his done for his USA show and looked ridiculous, has he had them done more natural looking now or have we just got used to them ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    This is true. My dentist suggested that I'd be ideal for one of the relatively new techniques for straightening adults' teeth, even those who had previously been told they didn't have enough room (as I had). It's possible to straighten teeth in the majority of cases now with braces of some sort (mine were fixed behind my bottom teeth - no one could see them) and most reputable dentists who save teeth first and do cosmetic dentistry second would recommend that you keep as much of the natural tooth as possible rather than start shaving bits off for veneers etc. My dentist is also a good friend of mine, so we've talked teeth often - he's horrified at what some celebs are having done, totally unnecessary work, which then is seen as 'normal' when it's anything but! He hates this 'Hollywood smile' concept, especially when it comes at the price of sacrificing perfectly healthy teeth - and if I tell you that all dentists in Jersey are private (we don't have the NHS here) then that also tells you that he's got enough integrity to turn down business if he doesn't believe it's in the patient's interest. But he's just an ordinary, high street, family dentist - he's not in the celeb smile business. But If your teeth are only discoloured or crooked then you can have them bleached or straightened. Veneers are only for those whose natural teeth have gone beyond that point, not for vanity's sake alone. And you can never turn the clock back if you regret them.
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    My dentist is also utterly horrified, we talked about this 7 years ago - "destroying perfectly healthy teeth". Rylan's teeth looked fine. He could have had a brace on the bottom to straighten them if he wanted. Shocking. Clearly there are unfortunately too many dentists with no integrity. Shame on them.

I'am a Dentist....and I concur with your posts....God only knows how much time I 'v spent over the years talking patients out of having perfectly healthy teeth irreversibly filed down(reduced) in order to fit very expensive cosmetic restorations they don't need....but there is always someone willing to take the cash:(...Cases like Rylans seriously piss off the majority of Dentists.

The Dental insurance companies are constantly warning us not to do what does't need doing....and I suspect the vast majority of my 2.5k annual premium is used along with every other Dentists premium to pay for the fall out in cases such as Rylans
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Cher Lloyd seems to have had her's done now.

Just another X Factor product who's succumbed to the ideology that everyone has to look a certain way in order to be acceptable. If only these people had the intelligence to realise how ridiculous they actually look
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osca1 wrote: »
    Jeremy Kyle had his done for his USA show and looked ridiculous, has he had them done more natural looking now or have we just got used to them ?

It always amazes me why quite a few celebrities think that having unnaturally white veneers looks good. They just look stupid.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Rylan, he certainly knew quickly they were a mistake, he said apparently his mum went ballistic! Actually towards the end of his time on CBB recently, it did look like he might have had them slightly modified, both in colour and size and glow!

What can you actually do to reverse it though, when your own teeth have been shaved down? Is it possible to remove the veneers and have them re-done without causing even more damage?

Feel sorry for Rylan - he has been seriously misadvised, or gone to the wrong dentist (Katie Price's?). They've certainly seen him coming along with a ton of cash. There was nothing wrong with his teeth either, and those veneers have completely spoilt his looks and made him look like a joke.
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    It always amazes me why quite a few celebrities think that having unnaturally white veneers looks good. They just look stupid.

I remember Jodie Marsh having hers whitened to neon proportions during a tv programme, but not getting the bottom ones done at the time.

She had (no idea if she's remedied the problem), glow in the dark huge top teeth and dingy, smokers bottom teeth.

Not a good look.
  • Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Butterface wrote: »
    I remember Jodie Marsh having hers whitened to neon proportions during a tv programme, but not getting the bottom ones done at the time.

She had (no idea if she's remedied the problem), glow in the dark huge top teeth and dingy, smokers bottom teeth.

Not a good look.

The cosmetic dentist talking about Jodie Marsh's "smile makeover". With pictures.

http://www.39harleystreet.co.uk/jodiemarsh_veneers.htm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    The idea of veeners is a bit odd to me...I'd prefer to have imperfect teeth that are my own. Thankfully I've never needed a brace but if I did, I'd just get one and then have them whitened often. My aunt has veeners and they're very pricey and apparently you can have to have them redoing regularly. I don't think Jodie or Rylan had bad teeth to start with in at all.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cosmetic dentist talking about Jodie Marsh's "smile makeover". With pictures.

Her 'before' smile is so much nicer.
  • Brighton BhelleBrighton Bhelle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The 'before' smile is so much better, her teeth have a bit of wonkiness that makes them look natural. Nothing wrong with the colour either.

After treatment her teeth just look like neon dentures. Put her in Sugar Hut and you'd see the glow a mile off.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    What can you actually do to reverse it though, when your own teeth have been shaved down? Is it possible to remove the veneers and have them re-done without causing even more damage?

Feel sorry for Rylan - he has been seriously misadvised, or gone to the wrong dentist (Katie Price's?). They've certainly seen him coming along with a ton of cash. There was nothing wrong with his teeth either, and those veneers have completely spoilt his looks and made him look like a joke.

It's interesting to read Swynmor's post. I would suspect that there's nothing they could do with the tiny bit of Rylan's original teeth that remain underneath. I assume it might be possible to darken the colour of his veneers, but unless there's some kind of clever permanent colour staining available would that involve replacing them all?

I'm genuinely curious and Swynmor might confirm this, but aside from the colour being so vibrant, is it also the fact they all appear to be a uniform size that looks wrong and makes him appear to have so many? After all our eye teeth for example aren't the same size as our front teeth!

I also remember years ago, when veneers weren't so popular my dentist being aghast at Sarah Brightman's new teeth, because of their unnatural colour.

As for me - I really wish Colin Firth hadn't succumbed! Such a shame as his lovely, sexy smile has changed completely. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Even Jodie's teeth before she had the makeover looked great. The 'after' teeth just looks ridiculous. The shade of her teeth before looked a perfect shade of white. The whiteness of her teeth afterwards just made them look completely fake. The after results just look like bone china that's been put on the top of her teeth. Just stupid.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting to read Swynmor's post. I would suspect that there's nothing they could do with the tiny bit of Rylan's original teeth that remain underneath. I assume it might be possible to darken the colour of his veneers, but unless there's some kind of clever permanent colour staining available would that involve replacing them all?

I'm genuinely curious and Swynmor might confirm this, but aside from the colour being so vibrant, is it also the fact they all appear to be a uniform size that looks wrong and makes him appear to have so many? After all our eye teeth for example aren't the same as our front teeth!

It's not even the colour, for me, it's the size of them - they are so big he can't close his mouth and just look so false. They've completely altered his face and they surely shouldn't do that?

Would be very interested to hear if anything can be done to make them more natural looking - the poor fella can't surely be stuck with those things forever?!
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    I'm struggling to find it in myself to have any sympathy for Rylan. Actually, I won't even bother looking for any. What a fool.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    I'm struggling to find it in myself to have any sympathy for Rylan. Actually, I won't even bother looking for any. What a fool.

Ahh, you're not alone, that's for sure, but I've never minded mind Rylan. Watching him on CBB, I got the impression that behind his over the top/in your face persona, there are some big self-esteem issues and vulnerabilities. There are many like him, who in their bid to mask what they are unhappy with, overcompensate and must go for the extreme of everything. The whitest teeth, the most fake tan, the immaculate eyebrows, the botoxed lips, the fillers, the hair colour (used to be a red head) and on and on. Risky behaviour unfortunately.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

...The ‘eye teeth’ or canines were too large and dominant giving a somewhat ‘Dracula ‘appearance...
    Stupid man: there was nothing whatsoever wrong with her original teeth.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Stupid man: there was nothing whatsoever wrong with her original teeth.:rolleyes:

He probably just said that because he didn't want to lose a customer. It's not very often people who are selling expensive things are honest with people. I'm guessing all a lot of these dentists care about is getting that next sale, despite whether or not the customer actually needs it.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Price's veneers look very uncomfortable she was constantly licking her top teeth. She had a nice gap in her front teeth before she had them filed down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    He probably just said that because he didn't want to lose a customer. It's not very often people who are selling expensive things are honest with people. I'm guessing all a lot of these dentists care about is getting that next sale, despite whether or not the customer actually needs it.
    Well it's backfired on him nicely 'cos we're pretty unanimous that she was better off before the ridiculous uniteeth makeover...
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    It's not even the colour, for me, it's the size of them - they are so big he can't close his mouth and just look so false. They've completely altered his face and they surely shouldn't do that?

Would be very interested to hear if anything can be done to make them more natural looking - the poor fella can't surely be stuck with those things forever?!

People like Rylan just seem to want quick-fix results. Braces have improved a lot these days and can be used at pretty much any age. Surely that would be preferable to having perfectly healthy teeth filed down to mere stumps?!

Natural teeth are never perfectly aligned anyway. A slight imperfection is not a disaster. I can't imagine his teeth were so bad in the first place that they couldn't have been straightened up with a brace and some teeth whitening treatment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    People like Rylan just seem to want quick-fix results. Braces have improved a lot these days and can be used at pretty much any age. Surely that would be preferable to having perfectly healthy teeth filed down to mere stumps?!

Natural teeth are never perfectly aligned anyway. A slight imperfection is not a disaster. I can't imagine his teeth were so bad in the first place that they couldn't have been straightened up with a brace and some teeth whitening treatment.
    His teeth were fine before: the way they're set, provided they're reasonably healthy, are unique to you and give character and his most certainly were/did. I think he'll forever rue the day he went down the road he's gone down with them. As for their whiteness, Jesus wept, they're not meant to act as a beacon - he looks like a frigging lighthouse...