Options

Back from dentist, 3 fillings, but have aching, normal ?

BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had 3 fillings done at 4pm by the dentist today (Thursday). 2 of which were at the bottom, one I think of those is the wisdom and then one close by. The other was on top.

I have a slightly throbbing soreness on the lower filling area all the time, and when I drink hot tea or a hot meal it throbs badly for up to 30 seconds after the heat has gone. Oddly I can drink cold water though. What is annoying me is my teeth were completely fine before the fillings, I felt no pain or problems at all.

Things on the net seem to suggest hot sensitivity is a bad sign and will need root canal, but is it likely too to just be because my mouth is sore from work being done on it ? I would hate to think I was fine before, get a filling done, then find out that caused me to need more treatment.

Anyone here had a filling to find they couldn't drink or eat hot related stuff because their mouth throbbed ? If so, how long did it last ? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    urbancoyoteurbancoyote Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Sounds normal to me. Thats all I can add on the subject!
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    Any visit to the dentist usually takes a couple of weeks to get over :D

Certainly for three fillings it'll take a while to settle down.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had issues like that even if having several fillings and a root canal done etc, keep an eye on it, watch out for funny tastes, throbbing or fever incase it's an infection, also it might be that the filling hasn't adequately covered the drilled area...

Unfortnetly I've had some very incompetent dentists in the past and had to have root canals redone, and fillings etc, which developed absecces or the likes. So err on the side of caution if it doesn't feel like it's improving in a few days or gets worribgly worse, just head right back!
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I've often been told to avoid very hot or cold things for 12 hours after dental work, presumably as everything can be a bit sensitive after being faffed about with!

You sound as if you're a bit of a nervous dental patient generally. I've had countless fillings, root canals, surgeries (apisectomies) and two implants done by various dentists over the years and have never suffered any nerve damage. But yes, things can be sore and tender for a few days afterwards at time.

If you find it's not getting any better in the next couple of days, you can always give for dental surgery a ring to seek advice and reassurance.

Hope it gets better for you! :)
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I definitely had similar symptoms last time i went to the dentist. Gradually got better over a few days and then was fine.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    BlizzardUK wrote: »
    I had 3 fillings done at 4pm by the dentist today (Thursday). 2 of which were at the bottom, one I think of those is the wisdom and then one close by. The other was on top.

I have a slightly throbbing soreness on the lower filling area all the time, and when I drink hot tea or a hot meal it throbs badly for up to 30 seconds after the heat has gone. Oddly I can drink cold water though. What is annoying me is my teeth were completely fine before the fillings, I felt no pain or problems at all.

Things on the net seem to suggest hot sensitivity is a bad sign and will need root canal, but is it likely too to just be because my mouth is sore from work being done on it ? I would hate to think I was fine before, get a filling done, then find out that caused me to need more treatment.

Anyone here had a filling to find they couldn't drink or eat hot related stuff because their mouth throbbed ? If so, how long did it last ? Thanks.

It's normal to feel sensitivity after dental work. If you needed a root canal, your dentist would have told you and done that work.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Sounds normal, you've just had the equivenlent of a pneumatic drill going round your gob.