Options

The benefits witch hunt

Comments

• Options
    geppsdoodgeppsdood Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just the fact that she was on benefits. It's the reason WHY she didn't have a job. All you do-gooders seem to be forgetting that. She stole £13,000 from her workplace to pay for drugs.

Benefits or not, I don't believe she's a good person and she doesn't deserve fame and money.
  • Options
    JayUK69JayUK69 Posts: 1,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone tell me why she was 'hated' on the programme she was on? Was it because she was claiming for benefits when she didn't need to be, did people just dislike her because she was on benefits, or did she come over as a nasty person in the show?

It's just because she was on benefits. She actually came across really well most of the time, very much a people person and a promiment figure in her community. Her depression was actually addressed on the show.

I don't know why people should be vilified just for being on benefits. Any one of us could find ourselves reliant on the state at some point. Especially with how things are at the moment, no job is 100% safe. I was on jobseekers for 6 months years ago after the company i worked for folded and I lost my job. However, it enabled me to go back into education and retrain for a better career which I do now.

I actually really liked Dee on Benefits Street and so far I'm enjoying her on CBB. I don't think she actually qualifies as a celebrity, but neither do those others from reality shows. But if this helps her to improve her life and situation and go onto better things, then good luck to her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guardianista detected

I watched Benefits Street mate and that is how I came to my conclusions.

Dee was apparently too ill to work for many years and had to receive hundreds of thousands of taxpayers money to get on in life (poor lamb) . Of course once she became famous she was no longer too ill to work and perfectly fine to get up at 4am in the morning to travel for shoots and interviews or fly out to Spain to party 24/7.

Not too ill to swill champagne on someone elses dime or spend all day with her stylist being fawned over. She should be made to repay her CBB fee to the NHS

I am not your mate.

The only other thing I can see I want to respond to is that tiny fact you have wrong, Dee does not drink alcohol.

"Oh but I saw her swigging shots on holiday" I hear you cackling (probably whilst rocking back and forth and finger pointing).

No, no she didn't, it was not alcohol, and it was a photo shoot.

Other than that, any thing else I may have said, I feel you're way too far gone to have a hope in hell of understanding.
  • Options
    geppsdoodgeppsdood Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erm....£13,000. In stolen money.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The folks who are the most outraged about the benefit skivers are the working class who live nearby and see first hand the abuse of the system. These are the very folks who are putting into a system for the skivers to take out. The viewers of these benefit shows are not Tory voters in the main. The skew in terms of viewing is C2/D/E. Hardly the stuff of AB1 entertainment. The misconception about outrage is another facet of this whole issue that needs to be communicated properly. As for Pensioners they are the biggest recipients of monies but after a lifetime of contribution in most cases. They do better under Tories than Labour funnily enough!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    The folks who are the most outraged about the benefit skivers are the working class who live nearby and see first hand the abuse of the system. These are the very folks who are putting into a system for the skivers to take out. The viewers of these benefit shows are not Tory voters in the main. The skew in terms of viewing is C2/D/E. Hardly the stuff of AB1 entertainment. The misconception about outrage is another facet of this whole issue that needs to be communicated properly. As for Pensioners they are the biggest recipients of monies but after a lifetime of contribution in most cases. They do better under Tories than Labour funnily enough!

I feel this may be far to complex for some to understand.
  • Options
    vikesukvikesuk Posts: 1,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DryIce wrote: »
    I feel this may be far to complex for some to understand.

Yes -it was difficult - the poster must have been ill the day they taught paragraphs at his school.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hahaha I am an old aged pensioner and am receiving a pension that I worked hard for. Along with others I have saved this country millions by caring for our children and family members who are either disabled or suffering from Alzheimers Disease. So call us benefit scroungers if you want, but if it wasn't for the likes of us you would be paying a lot more taxes than you are now. Believe you me the rich will never pay their trues dues to society.

Well said and I fully agree with you there. :)
  • Options
    vikesukvikesuk Posts: 1,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people who supported the work-shy middle-class "actor" Chris look down on him? I'm sure he has taken down a lot in Housing Benefits/Jobseeker Allowance
  • Options
    humpty dumptyhumpty dumpty Posts: 4,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayUK69 wrote: »
    It's just because she was on benefits. She actually came across really well most of the time, very much a people person and a promiment figure in her community. Her depression was actually addressed on the show.

I don't know why people should be vilified just for being on benefits. Any one of us could find ourselves reliant on the state at some point. Especially with how things are at the moment, no job is 100% safe. I was on jobseekers for 6 months years ago after the company i worked for folded and I lost my job. However, it enabled me to go back into education and retrain for a better career which I do now.

I actually really liked Dee on Benefits Street and so far I'm enjoying her on CBB. I don't think she actually qualifies as a celebrity, but neither do those others from reality shows. But if this helps her to improve her life and situation and go onto better things, then good luck to her.

Thanks for the explanation:) I just couldn't understand why Big Brother would change peoples views on her, the way people are suggesting? If people didn't like the fact she was on benefits ...whether they just didn't like people on benefits (which would be wierd!) or felt that she didn't need to be on them and was claiming them unecessarily, how would her appearance on big brother change that view? Its all a bit wierd to me...your views on whether she should be claiming benefit or not isn't connected to if shes a nice person or not? I mean are people going to say 'I thought she was entitled to benefits before, but after watching Big Brother and finding out shes not a nice person, I don't think she should be entitled to them anymore' or alternatively 'I think shes a benefit fraud, but since watching big brother and finding out shes a nice person, I don't think shes a benefit fraud any more'

You either think she deserves the benefits, or she doesn't need them - but thats not related to whether shes a nice person or not?
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geppsdood wrote: »

She made a bad mistake and was duly punished.

Personally, I am far more concerned with tax dodgers at the upper echelons of society who actually cost the economy billions more than the so called 'chavs' who are all supposedly spending their benefit money on wide screen tellies, Special Brew and crack cocaine. In reality, these people are small fry compared to the likes of Gary Barlow.

She comes across as perfectly pleasant and amenable on BB and I'm certainly not going to 'hate' on someone who has made a mistake and paid her dues for doing so.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's definitely an agenda from the right wing press to try and discredit benefits claimants. I watched Benefits Street and didn't think it's portrayed a comfortable lifestyle at all. Most of the houses on the started were grotty, run down hovels, I didn't see any of the huge luxurious "flat screen TV's" and games consoles that the Daily Mail harp on about, although as discussed yesterday owning a flat screen telly means little now as you can't buy any other type these days.
  • Options
    daddynomatesdaddynomates Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. This soon turned into war didn't it. Thought it would lol
  • Options
    JayUK69JayUK69 Posts: 1,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the explanation:) I just couldn't understand why Big Brother would change peoples views on her, the way people are suggesting? If people didn't like the fact she was on benefits ...whether they just didn't like people on benefits (which would be wierd!) or felt that she didn't need to be on them and was claiming them unecessarily, how would her appearance on big brother change that view? Its all a bit wierd to me...your views on whether she should be claiming benefit or not isn't connected to if shes a nice person or not? I mean are people going to say 'I thought she was entitled to benefits before, but after watching Big Brother and finding out shes not a nice person, I don't think she should be entitled to them anymore' or alternatively 'I think shes a benefit fraud, but since watching big brother and finding out shes a nice person, I don't think shes a benefit fraud any more'

You either think she deserves the benefits, or she doesn't need them - but thats not related to whether shes a nice person or not?

I think that if she does suffer depression then she deserves to be on benefits. None of us know exactly how her depression affects her, everyone is different.

Some, not all think that all benefit claimants are scum of the earth. Their character doesn't come into it at all.

I can't see her appearing on CBB will change people's opinions of her. And if she did steal £13,000 from a previous employer, I'm sure she would have been punished and paid for it. Surely everyone deserves a second chance after making mistakes.
  • Options
    this_THATthis_THAT Posts: 2,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    her magical cure was tv celebrity

i wont be falling for any of it.
  • Options
    daddynomatesdaddynomates Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok what I meant by Dee changing some peoples minds about benefits claimants is they are not all Jeremy Kyle material.
  • Options
    EddyBeeEddyBee Posts: 45,609
    Forum Member
    I hope Dee changes people's views about people who claim benefits. The Tabloid papers and this government are hell bent on making us all hate "benefits scroungers". The real figures show that the number of people claiming benefits fraudulently is very low. Nearly all claimants are genuine cases, like my grandad for instance, a widower who once ran up the beaches of Normandy being shot at. Or my friend who's wife became very ill so he had to stop his well paid job to care for her. The real criminals ripping off Britain are the tax dodging businesses or the MPs with their expenses. This benefits witch hunt must stop.

Rant over.

Very well said. Thank you so much.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vikesuk wrote: »
    Yes -it was difficult - the poster must have been ill the day they taught paragraphs at his school.

Quite.
  • Options
    sheils1sheils1 Posts: 16,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    And so it begins.

You can read this place like a book.... and not a very good book. Certainly not Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNabb etc etc.. :D

And so it begins.....this is a forum, people can express their opinions if that is ok.:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    I seem to recall that one of the landlords of the houses on Benefits was either a Tory MP or councillor. Think about it, who is the real benefits cheat and getting large sums of cash from the taxpayer? You hear about the claimant getting £x0000s of from taxpayer, truth is they see almost none of it in their pockets. The vast majority of the cash goes straight to the landlord.
    Oh by the way a quarter of Tory MPs are landlords, quite happy to plunder the public purse whilst putting the blame on the poor
    http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/quarter-of-tory-mps-are-landlords-says-research/6524104.article
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this_THAT wrote: »
    her magical cure was tv celebrity

i wont be falling for any of it.

Would this be the same way those who questioned Jade Goody's diagnosis of Cancer? Those who were not convinced of her illness till she died?

Would Dees suicide suffice for you?
    Ok what I meant by Dee changing some peoples minds about benefits claimants is they are not all Jeremy Kyle material.

I would not even begin to explain yourself.

Those who have no depth to them, do not have the ability to hold much more than 5ml of information.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    geppsdood wrote: »

'Hang her from the neck until she is dead'! >:(

Or something like that, right?
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    sheils1 wrote: »
    And so it begins.....this is a forum, people can express their opinions if that is ok.:o

Are you going to tell me the sky is blue and that grass is green next? :D

You go nuts with your opinion by all means, I'm certainly not stopping you. I'll post as I see fit too though of course.

Seems like a fair enough deal to me... as like you say, how forums tend to work. ;-)
  • Options
    humpty dumptyhumpty dumpty Posts: 4,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayUK69 wrote: »
    I think that if she does suffer depression then she deserves to be on benefits. None of us know exactly how her depression affects her, everyone is different.

Some, not all think that all benefit claimants are scum of the earth. Their character doesn't come into it at all.

I can't see her appearing on CBB will change people's opinions of her. And if she did steal £13,000 from a previous employer, I'm sure she would have been punished and paid for it. Surely everyone deserves a second chance after making mistakes.

I don't know anything about her to make any judgement. I just think that judging whether she deserves benefit or not is not connected to whether you think she has a nice personality or not. The theme on BBOTs has been 'will people now change their opinion on her now that they've seen her on CBB?' It just didn't make sense to me how her personality would change someones opinion on whether they thought she deserved benefits or not. You either think she deserved them or you thought she was being a fraud. Whether she is a happy, grumpy, funny or nasty person shouldn't change things.
  • Options
    amelie74amelie74 Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    hahaha I am an old aged pensioner and am receiving a pension that I worked hard for. Along with others I have saved this country millions by caring for our children and family members who are either disabled or suffering from Alzheimers Disease. So call us benefit scroungers if you want, but if it wasn't for the likes of us you would be paying a lot more taxes than you are now. Believe you me the rich will never pay their trues dues to society.

Quite right. The vast majority of people receiving state pensions have contributed through NI contributions all their working lives and are now having to work even longer to get them.

The only benefits claimants I've seen who really annoy me are the ones who say 'I'd have to earn £40k or more a year to have the same standard of living' so won't accept a job that pays less. The fact that they are often unqualified to do anything let alone get a high paid job appears to escape them. Not saying they're benefit frauds - they're only claiming what the system allows. However the system must be wrong if people who work hard end up with less than they do after tax and other deductions.