What to feed Guinea Pigs?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
Forum Member
Hi, we're new to Guinea Pigs and we got our two girls about 9 days ago now. We're slowly getting used to them and them to us and so far so good.

The only thing we're really struggling with is finding a combination of veg to feed them.

Our list of everyday food consists of: cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, sprouts, kale and red pepper.

Then we have things like carrot, babycorn/corn on cob/apples/cherry tomatoes every now and then.

I just wonder if anyone has any other foods they can have every day/more regularly that I could try them with. They don't touch sprouts and don't always eat cauliflower but sometimes eat the leaves and sometimes I struggle with what to give them so they have a mix.

Can they have parnsip, grapes, yellow/green pepper, asparagus or anything else? Online information is conflicting, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• bunny93bunny93 Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    My guinea pigs favourite food are lettuce, carrot cucumber, tomatoes and apples along with their pellets.

I also pick them grass to put in their cage and they go mad for it :)
    Also if you have dandelions in your garden try them on them, mine love them.

I've tried them on grapes but they weren't keen, they also like yellow and green peppers too :)

I also tried them on a Brussels sprout for crimbo but they weren't keen
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never iceberg lettuce but other types are fine for them. Fresh herbs of various types are often favourites. The leafy parts of celery are usually loved too. Any colour pepper is fine (green is the best due to lowest sugar content). Fruit should be given sparingly for the same reason.

You're giving them an awful lot of stuff there that is likely to cause gas - this can lead to painful and sometimes fatal gas build up if they don't handle it well so be careful with broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and kale. Tbh I would only give them one of those and in very small amounts.

You also need to be careful with high calcium veg (this includes kale, spinach and parsley as well as dandelion which they love) as it can build up in their bladder and cause painful stones.

At the end of the day, remember to look at the veggies as treats. A good 85% of their diet should consist of a good quality Timothy hay (you can use alfalfa for young one) because it both wears their teeth down and contains the fibre needed to keep their guts going. The rest should be guinea pig nuggets (not muesli) and then veg.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    bunny93 wrote: »
    My guinea pigs favourite food are lettuce, carrot cucumber, tomatoes and apples along with their pellets.

I also pick them grass to put in their cage and they go mad for it :)
    Also if you have dandelions in your garden try them on them, mine love them.

I've tried them on grapes but they weren't keen, they also like yellow and green peppers too :)

I also tried them on a Brussels sprout for crimbo but they weren't keen

Would dandelion sold in bags at pet shops be ok too? I only ask as my local pet shop does them and that way I know it's probably safer than picking it from the local field or the garden.

All three colour peppers are now on my shopping list. I've still got grapes and apples to try them with but they will probs be something that is given as an occasional treat. Lettuce and tomato are also down to try now, thank you.

I've thrown the sprouts in the bin, mine definitely don't like them!
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Never iceberg lettuce but other types are fine for them. Fresh herbs of various types are often favourites. The leafy parts of celery are usually loved too. Any colour pepper is fine (green is the best due to lowest sugar content). Fruit should be given sparingly for the same reason.

You're giving them an awful lot of stuff there that is likely to cause gas - this can lead to painful and sometimes fatal gas build up if they don't handle it well so be careful with broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and kale. Tbh I would only give them one of those and in very small amounts.

You also need to be careful with high calcium veg (this includes kale, spinach and parsley as well as dandelion which they love) as it can build up in their bladder and cause painful stones.

At the end of the day, remember to look at the veggies as treats. A good 85% of their diet should consist of a good quality Timothy hay (you can use alfalfa for young one) because it both wears their teeth down and contains the fibre needed to keep their guts going. The rest should be guinea pig nuggets (not muesli) and then veg.

Thanks, the gas issue was something I came across on the internet and even my book on guinea pigs said they could have an unlimited amount each day so I was a bit confused. It was like I was being told one thing and then reading another. They don't get all of it everyday, just one thing. That's why I'm looking for other stuff they can have, so can mix it up a bit.

They have constant access to hay and at the minute we're splitting nuggets into two servings and trying to get the veg in somewhere in the middle. I will add spinach and parsley to the list of stuff for them to try.

Thanks both for your replies :)
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always gave my pigs loads of natural food that I'd pick from the garden or the hedgerow. Grass is their favourite without a doubt. Also dandelion leaves, Groundsel, Shepherd purse, Milk thistle. They also eat Apples, Cucumber, Celery, carrots, Swede, cabbage stalks and leaves, banana. Make sure they have hay ad lib and fresh water daily. I always thought lettuce was bad for them so I never gave mine lettuce. Any other green vegetable is fine.
  • Lolly_Du_BekeLolly_Du_Beke Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been keeping piggys for 15 years now and I have never fed mine any lettuce or tomato as I was always told they were very poisonous.
    My two love cucumber and celery, and are rather partial to parsley too. They're a pair of fussy girls though and will go through phases like they're off Apple and carrot at the moment but love pepper, but previously they've loved carrot and left pepper. The two boys I had before them would eat anything you put in front of them.
    Most of my piggys have lived till at least 5 or 6 one was nearly 10 so we must do something right lol. Best pets I've ever had.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to clarify that iceburg lettuce is NOT poisons to piggies. It is however low in nutritional value and is basically water, same with cucumber. If piggies have a poor diet then it can contribute to diarrhoea.

Rest of the advice has already been covered. Fresh grass and hay is the best though be careful that you don't pick grass that has been sprayed with insecticide or animals may have poo'ed on it. Nuggets instead of muesli will stop them picking out the stuff they don't like. Keep high sugar fresh fruit and veg for treats, this includes carrots btw. Be careful with greens that can cause gas, piggies are poor at dealing with them.

Finally it goes without saying that make sure they have access to fresh clean water at all times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Just to clarify that iceburg lettuce is NOT poisons to piggies. It is however low in nutritional value and is basically water, same with cucumber. If piggies have a poor diet then it can contribute to diarrhoea.

Rest of the advice has already been covered. Fresh grass and hay is the best though be careful that you don't pick grass that has been sprayed with insecticide or animals may have poo'ed on it. Nuggets instead of muesli will stop them picking out the stuff they don't like. Keep high sugar fresh fruit and veg for treats, this includes carrots btw. Be careful with greens that can cause gas, piggies are poor at dealing with them.

Finally it goes without saying that make sure they have access to fresh clean water at all times.

Mine used to love cucumber but they only had the bit I cut off the end now and then as a treat. I agree about the nuggets.

There is too much waste with muesli type food as they pick out the bits they like. I used to feed mine with Burgess Excel Nuggets. Expensive but they did eat all of it.

Years ago they used to say that guinea pigs don't need water as they get moisture from the food they eat. This is rubbish of course. Mine drank a lot of water and used to squeak if their bottle was empty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your further replies.

We tried spinach, spring greens and yellow/green peppers and they eat them. We also tried parsnip and swede, which they turned their noses up at and corn on the cob (instead of babycorn), which got nibbled by one pig, the other just ignored it. This week, they are trying asparagus, I think it wil be going in the bin!

I found a list of foods on the PDSA website so will try them with a few of those. In the coming weeks we're going to try parsley, watercress, rocket and maybe apple/grapes (depending what fruit we have). I'm treating everything as 'in moderation' at the minute due to all the conflicting advice out there in books/ on the web.

It's a joy getting to know these little piggies :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarah0890 wrote: »
    Thanks for your further replies.

We tried spinach, spring greens and yellow/green peppers and they eat them. We also tried parsnip and swede, which they turned their noses up at and corn on the cob (instead of babycorn), which got nibbled by one pig, the other just ignored it. This week, they are trying asparagus, I think it wil be going in the bin!

I found a list of foods on the PDSA website so will try them with a few of those. In the coming weeks we're going to try parsley, watercress, rocket and maybe apple/grapes (depending what fruit we have). I'm treating everything as 'in moderation' at the minute due to all the conflicting advice out there in books/ on the web.

It's a joy getting to know these little piggies :)

Don't forget to pick them some grass and dandelion leaves if you can find some in the garden
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my two girls who are three and two, have a bag of spinach per day, 2-3 baby toms, quarter of a cucumber, stick of celery, slice yellow pepper, gurty pig food...burgess dandelion and marigold eating hay handful.. every couple of days they also have a little cauliflower or broccoli, and carrot. the bedding hay when i clean them out is the long cut meadow hay..

every time i open fridge door, they squeek.. lol.. they love sliced runner beans.. take them out of my hand..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suggest OP joins this forum.. i have been a member for years..
    https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/forums/housing-and-enrichment.9/
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my mum's piggie's enjoyed slices of orange which is good for them because of the vit c, my Mum had 20 piggie's ( all rescue ) they lived in a heated shed and had a massive run in the garden ( never had to use a lawn mower to the cut grass after those little guy's had finished lol:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    my mum's piggie's enjoyed slices of orange which is good for them because of the vit c, my Mum had 20 piggie's ( all rescue ) they lived in a heated shed and had a massive run in the garden ( never had to use a lawn mower to the cut grass after those little guy's had finished lol:D

your mums set up sounds fantastic .. we started off with a rescue pigggie, . lovely pets.. fresh dandelions and leaves they eat all day long..