Top Gear

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IN YOUR OPINION!

You need that spelling out do you? In CAPS no less.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Top Gear isn't Clarkson. The show would live on if he wasn't there. I get the overriding impression some people are so snowblind they can't divorce one from the other and would perversely be happy to see the show wither and die if he left just so they could be proven right. Many shows lose a key talent and go on, prospering even in many cases.

It's a bit like saying Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway could survive if Dec left the show. Yes clearly the show could go on but would it get the same ratings, same audiences and win the same amount of awards? No. It works because of who is presenting and producing the show. It's a unique package. It's Ant & Dec.

Top Gear is Clarkson & May & Hammond. They long since became the show rather than just the presenters of a show about cars.

If Clarkson did leave.. and I'd expect May and Hammond to go with him.. the BBC would have to completely re-invent the show. Either that or just axe it knowing they'll never top whatever he does on another channel. That's the reality. Top Gear is nothing without them (IMHO). Although I will say the Chris Evans scenario was an interesting one.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    It's a bit like saying Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway could survive if Dec left the show. Yes clearly the show could go on but would it get the same ratings, same audiences and win the same amount of awards? No. It works because of who is presenting and producing the show. It's a unique package. It's Ant & Dec.

Top Gear is Clarkson & May & Hammond. They long since became the show rather than just the presenters of a show about cars.

If Clarkson did leave.. and I'd expect May and Hammond to go with him.. the BBC would have to completely re-invent the show. Either that or just axe it knowing they'll never top whatever he does on another channel. That's the reality. Top Gear is nothing without them (IMHO). Although I will say the Chris Evans scenario was an interesting one.

Youv'e hit the nail on the head. Exactly this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have read it and whilst they claim to be a fan of the show they are still Anti-Clarkson and don't know what exactly he brings to the show.

And anti's are known for their knee-jerk reactions not the real Top Gear fans.

True. They'd start and/or sign a petition based on rumour and gossip rather than wait for the official findings of an inquiry. Oh, hang on a minute.............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're comparing a double-act to a magazine show fronted by three people so it's an invalid comparison.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're comparing a double-act to a magazine show fronted by three people so it's an invalid comparison.

You don't think Top Gear is a triple-act?
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They've said that before that if one goes they all go so TG would end because without them what's the point. Since their contracts run out this year and if JC is sacked then that is the end and that would be massive shame. The problem is with the BBC issuing JC with a final warning, they've backed themselves into a corner and might not have no choice but to sack him. I'm really hoping they don't though.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top Gear isn't Clarkson. The show would live on if he wasn't there. I get the overriding impression some people are so snowblind they can't divorce one from the other and would perversely be happy to see the show wither and die if he left just so they could be proven right. Many shows lose a key talent and go on, prospering even in many cases.

I've a lot more time for folk who are fans of the programme than those clinging onto this odd idea that it lives or dies because of the whims of one man.

Clarkson is Top Gear it is that simple, the show is about the three showing their friendship and banter whilst mocking each other, the show should just end if either of them was to leave and it most likely will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't think Top Gear is a triple-act?

Come up with a comparison that works.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting interview.. four people who witnessed what happened.. not one of them refers to a punch or even a scuffle. Weird. Maybe they left the restaurant before that bit happened?

http://news.sky.com/story/1444054/family-clarkson-said-hed-have-colleague-fired
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarkson is Top Gear it is that simple..

He certainly thinks so which is why he reckons he has carte blanche to do and say as he pleases regardless.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He certainly thinks so which is why he reckons he has carte blanche to do and say as he pleases regardless.

Clarkson seems to have a violent streak in him. Yesterday on QT, Ian Hislop said he'd had a pen thrown at him by Clarkson on HIGNFY. which punctured his skin under his eye. Filming had to be stopped until it was sorted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarkson seems to have a violent streak in him. Yesterday on QT, Ian Hislop said he'd had a pen thrown at him by Clarkson on HIGNFY. which punctured his skin under his eye. Filming had to be stopped until it was sorted.

I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to say that Hislop probably deserved it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly the other guy involved hasn't made any complaint and JC was the one who went to the BBC first. So if the other guy remains silent then JC can't be sacked and all this which seems to have been completely blown out of proportion can go away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Interestingly the other guy involved hasn't made any complaint and JC was the one who went to the BBC first. So if the other guy remains silent then JC can't be sacked and all this which seems to have been completely blown out of proportion can go away.

Huh..?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was hardly malicious tho, look at JC's face:

https://twitter.com/oliverdowding/status/576169444642308096
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you seen May's responce after a reporter knocked on his door :)

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152783058266939
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading through this, makes me think. Clarkson is the marmite of presenters. You either like him (think he's a good presenter and get his sense of humor) or you don't.

Don't let your previous thoughts of him judge and cloud what we don't know. Especially if it results in the show being axed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was hardly malicious tho, look at JC's face:

https://twitter.com/oliverdowding/status/576169444642308096

He probably doesn't see anything as malicious. Clarkson believed the blood on Hislop's face was caused by the 'red' of the brio that he threw at him. Hislop was relating this in a semi- jovial manner, but it still shows up Clarkson's temper.
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

say in series 12 of friends if they had replaced jennifer anniston with another actress, the programme would have failed because it was based on the interaction of the main people , for all intents and purposes top gear is an hour long sitcom with a few facts about cars chucked in ,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huh..?

Not really sure what the huh is for. The guy JC got into argument with hasn't put in any complaint and JC was the first person to report what happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    say in series 12 of friends if they had replaced jennifer anniston with another actress, the programme would have failed because it was based on the interaction of the main people , for all intents and purposes top gear is an hour long sitcom with a few facts about cars chucked in ,

It's a half-hour US 22 minute sit-com with what, five or six leads so again it's not an apt comparison.

UK magazine shows that have gone on despite key presenter changes: Countryfile, Newsnight, Loose Women, Watchdog, The One Show etc. In some cases the revamps/rejigs are more popular than the versions that preceded them. And those few are just off the top of my head - There are dozens more.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member

Do you watch the show? I'm guessing not? Which if so could explain why you don't understand why one simply can't be replaced

It's a motoring based show but it's most valued and most important asset is the relationship between 3 silly mates and the silly things they get upto. Their role as presenters and relationship with eachother over the last 13+ years is what has gained such huge global audiences.

To change the dynamics of this 3 some by replacing one of them would changing the show massively, and I don't think it would go down well

Jesus look what happened when a popular cartoon character was replaced in Brian Griffin!!! on Family Guy :D there was an outcry and people hated the change in replacement of a new dog, why? Because the dynamics of Stewie and Brian together were loved, probably abit off topic with that one :D but just an example of how dynamics can be terribly changed, and no it's not an example of a triple act, but that wasn't my point
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Not really sure what the huh is for. The guy JC got into argument with hasn't put in any complaint and JC was the first person to report what happened.

Clarkson reported it "at the urging of close friends" (ie. best get in with my version before someone else does) and the junior producer clearly wants to keep his job. Being as most of Clarkson's reported half-hour tirade at this producer consisted of "I'm going to have you fired etc" are you at all surprised he kept his head down hoping it would all blow over and he'd get to keep his job?

Why can't people see past their own allegiances to Clarkson?
This discussion has been closed.