Options

Recommend a TV series !!

MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just watching Peaky Blinders from the start ..... it's a fairly recent program 2013 I think , so there's only TWO series of 6 eps so far .
This is a truly amazing series IMHO . *Over the years I've raved about The Sopranos , The Wire , Breaking Bad , Mad Men , The Tudors , Deadwood and more recently Boardwalk Empire , True Detective , Game of Thrones and Vikings BUT this is possibly my favourite of ALL !!

Superb writing , cast , acting , photography , locations everything is just to my taste . Even the background music is wonderful ...

Best of all its "based" on real people and real events rather like Boardwalk Empire and Deadwood

Comments

• Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If comedy your looking for I liked the recent cockroaches which was on itv2. ?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Band of Brothers - probably the best TV mini-series ever made
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,037
    Forum Member
    I like old stuff
    The Champions, Stuart Damon , the lovely, but sadly not with us any more , Alexandra Bastedo and William Gaunt And spot the celebrity
    Watching The Persuaders, Tony Curtis and Roger Moore, two great actors who work well together
  • Options
    RoquentinRoquentin Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    I've just finished the first season of Rectify and think it's the most beautiful and profound show I've seen in months. Apparently season two is even better. It's not the easiest thing to find but it is definitely worth seeking out.

On a lighter note Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix is pretty good and seems to get better and darker as each episode passes.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Band of Brothers - probably the best TV mini-series ever made

Have to agree. It's sublime.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grey wrote: »
    I like old stuff
    The Champions, Stuart Damon , the lovely, but sadly not with us any more , Alexandra Bastedo and William Gaunt And spot the celebrity
    Watching The Persuaders, Tony Curtis and Roger Moore, two great actors who work well together

Pretty much any of the ITC shows beat today's offerings hands down but I suspect they won't be the OP's cup of tea (no silly camerawork, just good, tightly written stories).

If I were to recommend one for the OP it would be The Prisoner. The Persuaders! could have been an all time classic if Tony Curtis had bothered learning his lines instead of umming and arring and constantly landing Rog in it so I can't recommend that, and the 3 main leads in The Champions always seemed rather wooden to me.

However, for the ultimate in comedy, great stories and performances, and also very atmospheric with more than a touch of pathos, you can't beat the original Randall And Hopkirk (Deceased). I really urge you to watch it if you haven't already MichPlat. And even if you have, it's worth watching again - and again. Just make sure you don't confuse it with the poor Reeves and Mortimer remake.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last train.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Sort of based on real events.

I've just watched the 2nd season of the Americans, thats very good, and you seem to like the same sort of things I do.

Will 2nd/3d/4th Band of Brothers also worth a watch is the Pacific, (Band of Brothers in the Pacific) but concentrates a lot more on home life than B of B.

The Shield is very good and so is Burn Notice, both have finished now.
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also a big Game of Thrones/Vikings fan my two fav progs on Tv.

Scandal
    Girlfreinds Guide to Divorce
    Madam Secretary
    Fortitude
    The Blacklist
    Backstrom

A new one iZombie looks like it could be fun and Last Man on Earth.
  • Options
    daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Kick Klarkson. Every one has three kicks at the ostentatious oaf. The one who kicks him the furthest is the winner. Added bonus points for poking his eyes out. all proceeds to go to charity...
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last train.
    Just looked that up. It at least looks intriguing.

Don't know how I managed to miss it, but will now put it in the planner.
    Thanks for that :)
  • Options
    seventhwaveseventhwave Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For any fans of black comedy and/or League of Gentlemen or Psychoville, I would recommend Inside No 9 (back on TV next Thursday ...)
  • Options
    NobbyspilesNobbyspiles Posts: 6,060
    Forum Member
    MichPlat wrote: »
    Just watching Peaky Blinders from the start ..... it's a fairly recent program 2013 I think , so there's only TWO series of 6 eps so far .
    This is a truly amazing series IMHO . *Over the years I've raved about The Sopranos , The Wire , Breaking Bad , Mad Men , The Tudors , Deadwood and more recently Boardwalk Empire , True Detective , Game of Thrones and Vikings BUT this is possibly my favourite of ALL !!

Superb writing , cast , acting , photography , locations everything is just to my taste . Even the background music is wonderful ...

Best of all its "based" on real people and real events rather like Boardwalk Empire and Deadwood

Looking at some of the series you've previously liked, I believe you would enjoy the Italian series, Gomorrah , which was on Sky Atlantic last year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life On Mars: goes without saying

Ashes To Ashes: dreadfully underrated just because it was the spin-off, any show that was going to be a spin-off from Life On Mars that didn't feature John Simm was always going to get the treatment of "it's not as good". However, although I do agree with that statement, I also think it was good in it's own right. Ok, I may have some problems with it (how it deals with each series and how they don't seem to connect), I still think it's really good. Each little storyline is dealt well with, the overall ending is beautifully done
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,037
    Forum Member
    Life On Mars: goes without saying

Ashes To Ashes: dreadfully underrated just because it was the spin-off, any show that was going to be a spin-off from Life On Mars that didn't feature John Simm was always going to get the treatment of "it's not as good". However, although I do agree with that statement, I also think it was good in it's own right. Ok, I may have some problems with it (how it deals with each series and how they don't seem to connect), I still think it's really good. Each little storyline is dealt well with, the overall ending is beautifully done

And Keeley Hawes is a beautiful woman as well as a fine actress
    Sony tv seem to be repeating Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes in a loop
    I keep watching and enjoying
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    However, for the ultimate in comedy, great stories and performances, and also very atmospheric with more than a touch of pathos, you can't beat the original Randall And Hopkirk (Deceased). I really urge you to watch it if you haven't already MichPlat. And even if you have, it's worth watching again - and again. Just make sure you don't confuse it with the poor Reeves and Mortimer remake.

Something that made a star of this young lady can't be all that bad surely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBODcr0SpKw

(still gutted they didn't get the idea to do an Avengers remake 15-years ago, she would have made a great Emma Peel; by this time she had already worked with the real deal)

Uhmmm.....anyway :blush:, think that you might like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olSKmVsjFxg
    (drama)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wu10CVeq2Y
    (dark comedy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBLR8vGE_OE
    (action)
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Simpsons
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grimm. If you like fantasy horror and action with humour then this is the ticket, and from the makers of Buffy. It's set in Portland, Oregon and looks lovely too! It's currentiy in its 4th season on the Watch channel, but it has to be watched from season one as the characters and story arcs develop through each season. Its early seasons are on Netflix.
    Honourable mentions for Elementary and The Blacklist too.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something that made a star of this young lady can't be all that bad surely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBODcr0SpKw

(still gutted they didn't get the idea to do an Avengers remake 15-years ago, she would have made a great Emma Peel; by this time she had already worked with the real deal)

Good point! I'm a big Emilia fan. Intelligent, talented, humorous......anyway, that's enough of me getting sidetracked. Spot on about The Avengers - she'd have made an excellent Emma Peel. And very good in Rebecca that you refer to - seen it numerous times on ITV3. Never a fan of Rigg as Peel though. Didn't like her smugness and I found her permanent smirk rather irritating and inappropriate.

Apologies for going OT Michplat. Like I said before though, you're probably into more modern stuff but I strongly recommend the original Randall And Hopkirk.
  • Options
    MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG. *Just started watching the Italian gangster series called Gomorrah . It's as good as Romanzo Criminale just set in modern times . Absolutely amazing !
  • Options
    Bunthorne67Bunthorne67 Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    The Phil Silvers Show (a.k.a You'll Never Get Rich in the USA or Sergeant Bilko in the UK).

Ernest G Bilko is perhaps the greatest television comedy character ever created.

Although not shown widely these days, this show remains as fresh as when it was first written and produced in the 1950s. Unlike the comedy shows of today, this does not employ drag out scenes with very little laughter contained in them; nor does it rely on sexual innuendo or bad language. It is slick and uses a format that modern writers clearly haven't considered; i.e. it packs the show full of jokes.

If you have never seen it but can catch it on some channel somewhere, do take a look. It will make you smile, at the very least. Episodes are available on DVD.
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Hannibal - gory, sophisticated, classy and the wonderful Hugh Dancy & Mads Mikkelson.
  • Options
    AmusedmooseAmusedmoose Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Line Of Duty - Both series of this were incredible. When people were making such a fuss about Broadchurch (which I did actually enjoy). I was honestly confused why nobody was talking about this, in my opinion it's a million times better. I know they aren't all that similar, but they are both British crime thrillers.

Ambassadors - Mitchell & Webb as you've never seen them before. I honestly can't recommend it enough. The BBC need to stop stalling and make series 2.

Count Arthur Strong - Great sitcom yet nobody seems to have seen it. If you like Father Ted and IT Crowd then you will like this. Also it has Rory Kinnear!

The Harry Hill Show - So many people don't know about this series and think Harry Hill is defined by TV Burp, they're wrong because this is what I think of when I think Harry Hill. Unfortunately episodes are ridiculously hard to get hold of.