Options

how often do you change your bedding ????

Comments

• Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    While that is a very lovely name indeed, emeralds smell of nowt and there is no such thing as an ivory flower, so it can't smell of anything either, what with being non existant.

Marketing nonsense or what?!
    :D

Indeed. Mum also has ruby jasmine & gold orchid, but I prefer the more traditional scents like spring awakening & fresh meadow. A lot more pleasant smelling too :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably once every 1/2 months, unless I get period blood on them. To wash and dry all of my bed linen it costs me about £6.70 in the launderette so I'm not paying that every week. I would have to use a drier as my room is too small for me to hang things in. I have 4 pillows so I just wash the cases by hand and rotate them around.

I don't really understand how everyone's beds apparently get crusty or greasy or whatever. Maybe it's because I sleep in long pyjamas, don't sweat that much, and don't have sex that often but I really don't understand...

Also, some people in this thread are being incredibly rude to other posters.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once a week, although I'd change them every day if I weren't so lazy.:D
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    attitude99 wrote: »
    I'm exactly the same cas, it's nice after you've had a bath particularly too. I try & use nice scented detergents where I can, luckily for me mum always has a stockpile! She's bought another new Lenor fragrance today she said, the emerald & ivory flower one, fair play smells gorgeous.

I also Febreze my bedding, not that I smell or anything :blush:

Cba to iron sheets though, I always end up creasing them more :blush:

I hate ironing sheets too! And shame on you for trying.......you've obviously got too much time on your hands for ironing sheets :D

Although I have to say that the mixed fibre sheets ( I think they're part polyester part cotton or something like that) they never seem to crease, they seem thicker than just cotton sheets as well and I simply shake them over the bed, and that's that!

Though I don't bother with scented powders. I just use a good strong bleach, a wire brush and a bar of carbolic soap...................JOKE :D:D
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spring every year I find a mate and build a nest. coo.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    Spring every year I find a mate and build a nest. coo.
    are you lost, pigeon?
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    I hate ironing sheets too! And shame on you for trying.......you've obviously got too much time on your hands for ironing sheets :D

Although I have to say that the mixed fibre sheets ( I think they're part polyester part cotton or something like that) they never seem to crease, they seem thicker than just cotton sheets as well and I simply shake them over the bed, and that's that!

Though I don't bother with scented powders. I just use a good strong bleach, a wire brush and a bar of carbolic soap...................JOKE :D:D

I've only tried the once but gave up after doing the duvet cover, which took about 20 minutes anyway :D

My sheets are 50/50 Cotton & Polyester so they're non iron which suits me. Usually if they've been on the line outside I'll fold the sheets up & put them on the radiator for a few hours which helps to finish them off drying wise. Also the heat makes the fabric conditioner smell waft around the hallway whichever one I've used at that time. :blush:^_^
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once a week in winter, twice in summer as I hate getting all sweaty in bed and love fresh crisp clean sheets pillowcases etc.
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weekly. Love clean bedding, and well ironed duvet cover. Well worth the effort.
  • Options
    loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Probably once every 1/2 months, unless I get period blood on them.

Ugh, that's the worst. Especially if it happens the night after you've changed your bedding. >:(

I do mine once a week, though sometimes if I can't be bothered I can leave it up to two weeks. I'll sometimes change my top pillowcase twice a week because I have acne-prone skin and my hair gets greasy so quickly (should have grown out of that by now).

I think it's really down to personal preference but surely at least once a month, especially if you get up to some... messy practices.

I also love getting into a freshly changed bed. :D
  • Options
    Lowri_JLowri_J Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Between twice and three times a week, that may seem excessive to some but I absolutely love the feel of fresh, clean sheets against my skin. :)
  • Options
    gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I change sheets once a week .I use a sheet under the duvet so as not to have to wash that so often as it is quite thick and heavy that gets washed about once a month.
    Pillowcases get changed more every few days or at least twice a week.
    In the winter I wash the bedding put it straight in the tumble dryer and then straight back on the bed .
    I might iron the duvet cover and if I use them white cotton sheets but no polycotton sheets.Although I agree with a friend who always irons her bedlinen that it is nicer to get into ironed sheets, but I'm not fond of ironing that much so make do without.

When I was at my daughters who lives in LA she bought some new bedding and washed it before use like they say to do, but I never do this.She started ironing the cover which was very creased and found it hard going .She said I can't be doing this all the time I'll have to send them out. I said if you hadn't been so fussy about washing them you wouldn't be having to do this.
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once a week at 60 degrees hot wash, then line dried, aired and ironed, in winter on a clothes horse indoors. Five beds to change so change one a day Mon to fri.

Washing them weekly using a 60 degree wash ? They will be just as clean at 40 if washing them weekly. Seems a waste of money on the electric tbh.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do all my laundry once a week, including bedding and towels. I cheat a bit, to make laundering the bedding easier. I use a soft, easily machine washable, cotton blanket with no top sheet, rather than a comforter or duvet that is harder to wash. I hate the feel of stiff comforters anyway, and they're always slipping off so I end up with just the top sheet or just the comforter. The soft blanket is not as sharp looking, but I don't hang out in the bedroom during the day looking at it, so I don't see the point in sacrificing functionality for aesthetics. Maybe for other furniture, but with the bed comfort and practicality comes before looks.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Washing them weekly using a 60 degree wash ? They will be just as clean at 40 if washing them weekly. Seems a waste of money on the electric tbh.

40 degrees doesn`t kill bacteria, you need at least 60 degrees for that.
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    40 degrees doesn`t kill bacteria, you need at least 60 degrees for that.

oh I just invite the bacteria outside for a fight wielding a hammer. Still the reigning champion :D

No seriously annette, I didn't know that. In fact if my washing my bedsheets is not killing the bacteria, then I retract fully. It's made me feel itchy thinking I put on 'clean' bedding still laden with bacteria.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    oh I just invite the bacteria outside for a fight wielding a hammer. Still the reigning champion :D

No seriously annette, I didn't know that. In fact if my washing my bedsheets is not killing the bacteria, then I retract fully. It's made me feel itchy thinking I put on 'clean' bedding still laden with bacteria.

:D

there are a lot of low temperature detergents punted and i think it leads people to the conclusion that pretty much cold water will suffice with the right product but if you want to kill the bugs it needs to be hot enough. it`s things like towels, underwear and bedding that matter most i think, unless you have scabies or ringworm or something or an immune issue perhaps.

definitely underwear though.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I try to do it every week but sometimes it can be just over a week.
  • Options
    Rubby_WilliamRubby_William Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    It takes some time in winter but in summer had to change it within weeks.
  • Options
    Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How often do you change your bedding, this includes sheet/s pillow vases and quilt cover/s mine is now once a week, as there is only me in the bed.. used to be twice per week when i had my partner sleeping with me..

Same as me lol. I love clean bedding. I can't walk past John Lewis with out picking up a new pack :(. I use to was my bedding in some Daz liquid tablets. They smelt so nice! They stopped making. They were the red ones. I now use Daz liquid. My fella thinks I am obsessed with changing the sheets. If I stop in a hotel I always take my own bedding lol. I got a right look when I had changed the bedding in a Hampton by Hilton. The house keeper manager knocked on the door to ask if she could check the room as she had not had time to check on it as her staff had let me check in early. She looked at the bedding on the floor that I had folded up and said "have you put your own bedding on?" I said yes lol. She did praise me on my bed making skills. She went on her was laughing lol.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    I’m very fastidious when it comes to hygiene;

…my bedding gets changed every February 29th without fail;…there’s nothing like that freshly laundered smell.

I always clean [URL=" http://s10.postimg.org/yh7qjnazt/bog.jpg "]my toilet [/URL] on the same date as well;

…cleanliness is next to godliness!
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weekly, except in hot weather, when I change twice a week.
  • Options
    mr coffeemr coffee Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Ideally I'd do it once a week, as there is nothing like climbing in to a fresh set of bedding for the night. Usually I do it fortnightly though.

It's the best! Especially if you've just had a bath/shower - you're clean and dry, the bed is too, a great night's sleep ensues!
  • Options
    Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once a month. I'm sure experts have said that you don't need to change them any more often than that.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a summer duvet and a winter duvet, so I thought it was self-explanatory. I assumed the same rule applied to sheets and pillow cases.