Options

Please give me some examples of wooden acting on soaps?

Comments

• Options
    ursula321ursula321 Posts: 1,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken Barlow is wooden its like he doesn't even try! The Nazirs but I believe mummy Nazir is a respected actress so maybe its the character thats bad.

Charlie Cotton from EE is bad.

A few of Hollyoaks actors, Nico is the worst.
  • Options
    mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muchacho wrote: »
    Now now! She's a friend of mine and thought she was quite good. She was just given hurrendous story lines.

Claire Peacock? She wasn't good but she deserved an award for smacking Tracyluv round the head. She also had lovely hair.
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Callum monks Eastenders, Tyler Eastenders, Dexter Eastenders. Anthony Cotton.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people have trouble telling the difference between wooden acting and OTT acting. Wooden acting is expressionless/emotionless like they're dead behind the eyes, OTT/hammy acting is when they're needlessly overdramatic, which is what the clip of Rosemary Daniels finding Jim's body would fall under, not wooden acting
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben Hardy as Peter Beale
    The scene where he was telling Lola about his friend drowning in Devon

The guy who plays Kirin. Every scene he does but mainly when he hit moira in a hit and run, when Vanessa told him she had cancer and last night's scenes.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The second one is class!:D There is more wood in that scene than in an Oak Furniture World store!:D
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely Callum Logan from Corrie. If not wooden a laughable villain about as scary as Christopher Biggins.
    He's just awful. All he does is that cold, icy glare which with other actors would be chilling but just makes him look robotic.
    I think thats her character though because Charley Webb can certainly emote when required.
    I agree. Debbie comes across as a person who wears a mask, because Charley is very good in 'high drama' scenes when we get to see emotion. She would probably benefit from extra training and wider experience though, as she's been playing the ssme character from such a young age that she hasn't had the chance to work elsewhere.

spunger wrote: »
    Wooden acting is no worse than gurning, OTT hammy panto crap acting. There's loads of them in soaps. But not being a good actor doesn't matter in soaps. Helen Worth in CS is shockingly bad but Gail is a great chatacter all the same.
    But for wooden, Kirin in ED is more wooden than Epping Forrest. Brian Tilsley in CS was world class wooden.
    That guy who stabbed Brian probably got splinters:D Even as a kid you could see how awful he was. He was one of those who used to be in the papers from time to time going on about how he was going to make it big in Hollywood. Ah well, if you don't blow your own trumpet...:D
  • Options
    Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Peters in there" - Bill Roache
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Antony Cotton- 100% wooden.
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sean Ward Is awful.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Kal's very wooden, which is weird as Jimi Mistry has been much better in other stuff.

I agree about Kirin, Ali and Izzy. Not Claire Peacock though, she was good.
    Freddie and Nico in HO are just shocking.
    I seem to be alone in this but I find Steve McDonald very wooden and just terribly acted.
    Obviously Antony Cotton is terrible, because obviously.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cotton is untouchable at Corrie, sadly we are stuck with him.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heres another classic story with the wonderful acting of Raymond and Jenny Lim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dtay3HWjuk

Always. :D
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She hasn't. She's still soulless, emotionless, expressionless and seems to have misplaced her kids again as they've vanished so she can rush off to illegal fights or prance about in her one black dress with ankle boots ensemble. Still Ali has gone for the time being so that's always a bonus.

:D

Great post.

Corrie's Kate Ford (Tracy) has always been dire...and Harry from 'Oaks.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    muchacho wrote: »
    Now now! She's a friend of mine and thought she was quite good. She was just given hurrendous story lines.

Agreed. The Lovely Claire was simply lovely.
  • Options
    pumpkinlattes33pumpkinlattes33 Posts: 8,326
    Forum Member
    EastEnders

- Denise Van Outen
    - Lorna Fitzgerald (Abi Branning). A particularly bad scene that comes to mind was the scene where she shouted at Jay after he broke up with her.
    - Danny Dyer (Mick). All he does is squint his eyes and speak in a husky voice. Scenes with Dean in the allotment were quite bad, in episodes around the time that Nick Cotton died.
    - Mimi Keene (Cindy) can be a bit wooden sometimes, although she was very good during the live episodes.
    - Buster

Coronation Street

- The Nazir grandmother
    - Simon Barlow
    - Tracy Barlow
    - Ken Barlow
    - Izzy Armstrong
    - Faye
    - Sean

Hollyoaks

- JASON ROSCOE!
    - Freddie Roscoe
    - Lindsey
    - Nico
    - Holly
    - Patrick (sorry to say, I know he's popular but there are many scenes where I thought he was wooden - in particular there was a scene at the hospital where he told Cindy that she disgusts him which really made me cringe)
    - Harry
    - Esther
    - Jason Costello
    - Beth
    - Noah
    - Clare Devine
    - Theresa McQueen
  • Options
    casualtyno1fancasualtyno1fan Posts: 2,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever played Xin in Corrie has got to be up there.

Arguably one of the Street's top three worst actresses ever.
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried to find the video and couldn't but, c'mon, how has no one mentioned:

Bridget: Oh no. Poor Libby.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Harry on Hollyoaks is very wooden. I can't stand his monotone voice. His scenes with perma grin Cleo are plain awful. She's quite wooden too unfortunately.
    Also Kirin on Emmerdale. The character is so badly acted. When he found out the baby might be Adam's his "emotion" just wasn't there.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tracey and Rachel in Emmerdale. Tracey just stands with her mouth open, I don't know what that is supposed to portray.; and Rachel has just one expression which covers all. Vanessa's schoolboy lover, Kirin, shows no emotion in any situation.
    Faye in Coronation Street thinks that scowling and rolling her eyes passes as acting. .
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fayemian wrote: »
    Izzy from Corrie. I don't know what's least convincing, her acting or her accent.

At irritated as I was by it, I never knew that wasn't her real accent!! Now here is the actress talking out of character. Ahh, so much more pleasant to the ears!
  • Options
    samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Check out Kirin (Not18) on ED tonight when he found out
    he might not be Vanessa's beybeh's daddy.
    I emote more than that when somebody offers me a vodka and tonic. :D

I don't think Kirin was too bad, I was expecting it to be much worse.

James and Pete Barton though are what you call wooden - I could fall asleep whenever they are on screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    samcains90 wrote: »
    I don't think Kirin was too bad, I was expecting it to be much worse.

James and Pete Barton though are what you call wooden - I could fall asleep whenever they are on screen.

James and Pete Barton are atrocious. Pete just doesn't work with Debbie. I think Debbie is meant to be cold but Pete is just boring as is James. I'd like Pete and James to be run over by a tractor together. I zone out when the pair of them are on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    At irritated as I was by it, I never knew that wasn't her real accent!! Now here is the actress talking out of character. Ahh, so much more pleasant to the ears!

Wow she sounds really nice in real life! Izzy's voice in character is awful!
  • Options
    09beyoncefan09beyoncefan Posts: 2,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gabby "clip clop" Sharpe from Hollyoaks beats them all.

"WELL WHO AM I TO STOP YOU?"
    *clip clop clop clop* up the stairs

I'm gutted the video isn't on YT anymore </3
    I tried to find the video and couldn't but, c'mon, how has no one mentioned:

Bridget: Oh no. Poor Libby.
    Oh god I remember that hahhaa! Didge was AWFUL.