Options

The Wire 1-5 - BBC2 Pace - *No Spoilers/Hints*

NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
Forum Member
Those of us that have already seen it can answer any questions that people have, but without mentioning anything that happens in future episodes. Problem solved?

For those that don't know, season 2 starts on May 4th.

Comments

• Options
    countesscountess Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Thanks for starting a BBC2 pace 'no spoilers' thread for us Wire newbies - it was much needed!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it not have been better making, a "The Wire - Series 1 - 5 discussion thread *spoiler inside*" thread, and leave the "The Wire - BBC2 - March 2009" spoilerless?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's no problem here. This thread has been started for people who want to discuss the show on an episode-by-episode basis without having people who have already seen it all hinting at future events or listing their favourite seasons in order etc.

The other thread contains several pages with spoiler-tagged stuff already. Somebody can always contact the mods and get them to change the title to *spoilers inside* if they want.
  • Options
    alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    There's no problem here. This thread has been started for people who want to discuss the show on an episode-by-episode basis without having people who have already seen it all hinting at future events or listing their favourite seasons in order etc.

The other thread contains several pages with spoiler-tagged stuff already. Somebody can always contact the mods and get them to change the title to *spoilers inside* if they want.

looks like they just have.
  • Options
    ianlawnianlawn Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if this has been mentioned before

4th May The Wire 23:30-00:25 Episode 1
    5th May The Wire 23:20-00:20 Episode 2
    6th May The Wire 23:20-00:15 Episode 3
    9th May The Wire 01:20-04:15 Episode 1-3

11th May The Wire 23:25-00:25 Episode 4
    12th May The Wire 23:25-00:25 Episode 5
    13th May The Wire 23:25-00:25 Episode 6
    16th May The Wire 01:30-04:30 Episode 4-6
  • Options
    alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so they're only showing it 3 days a week now? wonder what the reason for that is?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    so they're only showing it 3 days a week now? wonder what the reason for that is?

Perhaps it's out of consideration for the considerable effort each episode takes to watch! I always have to watch it twice, firstly to get all the plot developments and secondly to understand everything that was said, and it leaves me emotionally drained sometimes, so I'm happy to have more time to enjoy it. And I want the pleasure to last!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Did anyone see McNulty & Stringer on the BAFTAs last night!! So strange to hear the English accents but soooo good to see them :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Perhaps it's out of consideration for the considerable effort each episode takes to watch! I always have to watch it twice, firstly to get all the plot developments and secondly to understand everything that was said, and it leaves me emotionally drained sometimes, so I'm happy to have more time to enjoy it. And I want the pleasure to last!

If you've made it to the end of Season 1 then i think you'll find that you are pretty much now accustomed to the show and will find it a lot easier to understand the following 4 seasons.

I've just finished Season 5 and i actually fail to see how all these people are struggling to understand it. I definitely wouldn't call it "emotionally draining". "Emotionally and intellectually satisfying" is more like it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I definitely wouldn't call it "emotionally draining". "Emotionally and intellectually satisfying" is more like it.

When watching characters that I have grown to engage with, such as Wallace, being needlessly and cruelly killed by his 'friends', and seeing D struggle with his life and its consequences I, like others, have been emotionally involved in a way not like other programmes I have watched. Knowing it's all based on fact makes it harder to shrug off. And is one more reason why I concur with the view of the Wire's fans about its greatness.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've just actually finished watching season 1 earlier tonight and i'm so glad I started watching it as it's been fantastic.

for me, one of the best moments, obviously for all the wrong reasons, was when Kima got shot.

The sheer panic as they tore around the streets trying to find her really got to me !

although I did laugh when she was talking to McNulty in the hospital and she said (not the exact words) "You know what i'd do different ? Put more sellotape on the damn gun" :)

looking forward to season 2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ianlawn wrote: »
    Don't know if this has been mentioned before

4th May The Wire 23:30-00:25 Episode 1
    5th May The Wire 23:20-00:20 Episode 2
    6th May The Wire 23:20-00:15 Episode 3
    9th May The Wire 01:20-04:15 Episode 1-3

*bump*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,174
    Forum Member
    The snooker has already finished, so The Wire starts tonight at its advertised time, so no need to fiddle with our DVRs.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My PVR cut off the end of the recording of last night's episode. It finished just as the policewoman was driving though the dockyard, did I miss anything?
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    My PVR cut off the end of the recording of last night's episode. It finished just as the policewoman was driving though the dockyard, did I miss anything?
    lol, yes.

Beadie drives through the stacks and notices the container from earlier with the broken customs seal. She opens it up and finds, in a compartment at the back, the bodies of about a dozen young women. More police and a fire truck show up, Frank Sobotka and the rest of the stevedores crowd around and someone tells Frank that the can was full of girls. He and Nick look shocked.
  • Options
    Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Took some getting used to, but by the end of the episode it felt as good as ever.

At least we had McNulty, Bunk, Stringer, Bodie and all the other characters there, from what some people were saying about the start of season two I was expecting it to be all completely different people for the first episode and I'd be totally lost.

Looking forward to tonight's one, it's already shaping up nicely.
  • Options
    WoddyWoddy Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mine too ! :(

Can someone fill us in what happened in the last few mins of the episode, i'm guessing there wasn't many mins left it was about the 58th min that it cut off (for me).

EDIT :

Thanks Ghostworld
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol, yes.

Beadie drives through the stacks and notices the container from earlier with the broken customs seal. She opens it up and finds, in a compartment at the back, the bodies of about a dozen young women. More police and a fire truck show up, Frank Sobotka and the rest of the stevedores crowd around and someone tells Frank that the can was full of girls. He and Nick look shocked.

Thanks for that, I thought she might spot the container but I didn't expect such a big finish!:D
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad this new thread has been started. Because the other one was starting to become overrun with future season talk.

Interesting episode last night. It was a little hard to get into because of all of the new faces but I was expecting that. I'm sure I'll get used to them. The reveal at the end suprised me, I didn't see that coming.

Looking forward to tonight's ep. I'm trying to be strong and resist the urge to just go and buy the DVDs. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,174
    Forum Member
    Good introduction of the Sobotkas and the Greeks, plus just enough of the original characters to keep us all familiar. I'm guessing that the Greeks are the main villians this season, with the Sobotkas possibly in the D'Angelo role.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine cut of the last min too :rolleyes: Glad I'm not the only one.

Thanks Ghost World for the recap of the end.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    Since this seems to be a common problem, here's an annotated recap of the last few minutes.
    Lovely Beadie Russell is driving through the stacks when she notices the container from earlier with the broken customs seal. She opens it up, snoops around with her torch and finds a locked compartment at the back. Inside, she finds the body of a young woman. As Frank Sobotka tells an off-colour joke, Johnny 50 tells him that something's going on outside. More police and a fire truck show up. Another pOlice joins Beadie in the can, and it's revealed that there are around a dozen bodies. Beadie goes outside to compose herself, as Frank Sobotka and the rest of the stevedores crowd around. One of the stevedores, La La, tells Frank that the can was full of girls. He and Nick look shocked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    Thought it was a cracking start to S2 and looking forward to tonights ep.

Good to see McNulty hasn't changed one bit!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight's epi guide:
    http://www.hbo.com/thewire/episode/season2/episode15.shtml

I copy & paste the text of the synopsis into Word and slowly scroll it up the screen - to avoid spoiling - and with that and subtitles turned on I can just about keep up with it, especially learning all the new characters' names.
  • Options
    Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed last night's episode. McNulty up to his old tricks! :)

I guess it's because we already know most of the characters, but I'm finding myself getting into this season much quicker.