Cineworld Digital only films

D3XT3RD3XT3R Posts: 788
Forum Member
✭✭
As the title say's has anyone seen any films in Digital only format at Cineworld, if you have what are your opinions on this?
I am asking because I went to see the latest HP movie on Friday in standard format and then went again today with my daughter and saw a Digital only showing, I wasn't expecting to see much difference but to my shock the picture was far superior:eek:, it was sharper with a more vibrant look and none of the usual picture artefacts associated with film reels.
So all we need now is a Digital only cinema and were well away;).
Any how what doe's everyone think of this format?

Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's sharp , and no scratches , but it can look a bit video-y , if you know what I mean .

but on balance - yeah it's good .
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit, I dont think i would be able to tell the difference - but i havent compared either types before really. I

I dont quite get why some screens are digital and some are not. you would of thought all screens at the same cinema would all be Digital. Cost issue? properly.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit, I dont think i would be able to tell the difference - but i havent compared either types before really. I

I dont quite get why some screens are digital and some are not. you would of thought all screens at the same cinema would all be Digital. Cost issue? properly.

not all films are issued in digital prints .
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Vue at Westfield is digital only. The picture is always superb. Strangely, the sound is sometimes a bit rough: very loud, but slightly distorted and lacking definition.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digital projectors also need to be bought in the first place too.

Do you fancy subsidising already high prices just to watch in digital? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful, GF went to see Harry Potter & they had to reboot it 3 times !

:D
  • SiebenburgenSiebenburgen Posts: 3,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    Digital projectors also need to be bought in the first place too.

Do you fancy subsidising already high prices just to watch in digital? ;)

It's about £8 or so per person in the Odeon near to where I live. I wont pay those prices for a damn ticket. So there is no fear of me paying more to see it on some jazzed up screen!. Imagine this two people paying to get into the cinema, that's £16, now why not wait till DVD or something comes out and buy it and watch it in the privacy of your own home over and over and over if the feeling you need to do so arises. Far cheaper than cinema tickets (regardless of picture quality).
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw HP at the O2 - digital projection. Great quality. Screen 11 - largest cinema screen in London at over 22m wide.

Oh, and it was only £10.50 per ticket for the balcony seats which are wider, more comfy, have proper trays beside them, and you're allowed to take alcohol in!
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can depend heavily on where you see it. If you watch it on the local multiplex's (probably massive) main screen, the digital version will almost certainly look better. This is because as film is gradually replaced by digital sensors, the producers try to save costs by employing the dire 'Super 35' technology to squeeze a full 2.35:1 print from half of the film frame, thus saving on film. The more that the resultant print is magnified, the less sharp and the grainer the image appears to the naked eye. Digital, however, despite having LESS overall resolution than film, produces a much smoother image on a large screen, which makes it easier to watch. If you wait a few weeks until the film has transferred to one of the smaller screens, you will be hard put to tell which is which.

The exception is IMAX, which uses two coupled cameras and projectors to produce an interlaced image of double the normal digital resolution, which is why it fills the huge screen effortlessly. I read recently that Sony have introduced a camera that manages to match IMAX resolution with just a single sensor. If that it the case, presumably it will become the shooting equipment of choice soon enough and film will be completely redundant as it won't be able to do anything that digital can't do better.