Options

Who Do You Think You Are?- Ideas

21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,512
Forum Member
Any celebrities you'd like to see take part.

I'd quite like-
Freema Agyeman- Actress
Jo Brand- Comedian
Sophie Dahl- Model
Barry Humphries- Comedian
Richard Madeley- TV Presenter
Jane Seymour- Actress

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miranda maybe?
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rik Mayall :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cbe21ok wrote: »

He'd be a good one!
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd quite like-
    Freema Agyeman- Actress
    Jo Brand- Comedian
    Sophie Dahl- Model
    Jane Seymour- Actress

What a well thought-out list!

I'd also like to nominate Joan Rivers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member

That would be amazing.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you watch the Welsh version (Coming Home) you appreciate that the best shows are often not dictated by the best celebs.

The Christopher Timothy one was very interesting because of the stories brought out, as was John Prescott. And who would have guessed about Cilla Black or Paul Daniels Welsh history.

In a genealogy show that is what matters not who you select.

Indeed I think one or two well known people were invited and then dropped by Who do you think you are? because they had no interesting stories once the research was conducted. Just ordinary lives (like most of our ancestors did no matter how famous their current descendent).

Michael Parkinson is one example.

Richard Madeley said a few weeks ago when on This Morning that he is already being researched for the 2011 series but was told it will depend on what they find (or not).
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you watch the Welsh version (Coming Home) you appreciate that the best shows are often not dictated by the best celebs.

The Christopher Timothy one was very interesting because of the stories brought out, as was John Prescott. And who would have guessed about Cilla Black or Paul Daniels Welsh history.

In a genealogy show that is what matters not who you select.

Indeed I think one or two well known people were invited and then dropped by Who do you think you are? because they had no interesting stories once the research was conducted. Just ordinary lives (like most of our ancestors did no matter how famous their current descendent).

Michael Parkinson is one example.

Richard Madeley said a few weeks ago when on This Morning that he is already being researched for the 2011 series but was told it will depend on what they find (or not).

I suspect they do a bit of basic research before speaking to possible subjects, someone has researched Michael Parkinson's family tree and there are apparently plenty of interesting stories there. I think he is just trying to play to his image as an typical Yorkshireman by claiming he is boring.

I can't understand why Coming Home does not get shown on one of the national networks because all the programmes that I have been seen have been excellent - except perhaps John Prescott. He had too much of a political agenda and there were some doubts about claims made about some of the details of his ancestors.

I have never seen the earlier Coming Home programmes but the best that I have seen was Olivia Newton John, she brought her sister over and they were just fun to watch as they were shown their history.

There is also an Irish one which has been in the papers recently. I am also surprised that no one has produced a Scottish version, there is a very good radio series about family history on Radio Scotland but nothing on TV on the lines of Who Do You Think You Are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't know their was a Welsh one- does it feature non-Welsh celebrtiries?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Victoria Wood - but she's on record saying she's no interest in researching her roots, which is a shame.

Julie Walters

Dame Maggie Smith
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Alan Whicker
    Christopher Lee
    Roy Hudd
    Jimmy Perry
    Joan Bakewell
    June Whitfield
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,432
    Forum Member
    I'm sure that there's be something interesting in playright Alan Bennett's background if he wanted to do it.

I'd also suggest Coast presenter Neil Oliver who surely must have some exciting ancestors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, the only requirement is that they have ancestoral links with Wales,

Donny Osmond, Cilla Black, Paul Daniels, Christopher Timothy, Janet Street Porter, Michelle Collins are amongst the many that have featured and who are not Welsh in the traditional sense.

The most recent series of Coming Home ended before Christmas.

It is available on Sky to anyone in the UK (BBC Wales features in the 900 channels) and old episodes are repeated on digital channels such as Blighty.

Might be on BBC i player, too, not sure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd quite like-
    Freema Agyeman- Actress
    Jo Brand- Comedian
    Sophie Dahl- Model
    Jane Seymour- Actress

I think Richard Madeley has recently been filmed for the new series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked Digiguide and you are in luck if you can get Blighty (534 Sky, 206 Virgin).

They are running episodes of Coming Home at 01.00 and 01.30 from Tonight and also a complete run of about 12 on Saturday - including all of those mentioned above apart from Michelle Collins plus Petula Clark. Michael York, Michael Heseltine, Susan Sarandon (different family from that she later covered in her US episode - ie the Welsh line), Pam Ferris, Patrick Mower, Michael Ball and probably others I have missed.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Rolf Harris
    Kathy Burke
    Pauline Quirke
    Richard Briers
    Steve Wright (DJ)
    Peter Kay
    Eric Sykes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nightstar wrote: »
    I think Richard Madeley has recently been filmed for the new series.

See post 7 as to what he said about this on This Morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should add for those who have not seen it that Coming Home is a slightly different format from WDYTYA in that the genealogy is done before they arrive and the celeb is then taken 'home' to the part of Wales from where they are linked to and led by local experts on a trip of discovery as the story of their ancestors is revealed.

They run it at 30 minutes but cut out all the shots of people researching in libraries so its not such a big drop in the actual storytelling length.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that will be easy reseach as he has already written a book about his family and in particular his grandfather who was left alone in England when the rest of the family did a flit to Canada.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1059163/RICHARD-MADELEY-The-dark-family-secret-understand-father-beat-me.html

I think the BBC may be cautious about doing a programme about him as it may be seen as a way for him to promote sales of his book.

I would suggest the actress Sophie Okonedo, if her entry on Wikipedia can be trusted then it would be a facinating tale,
    Okonedo was born in London, England, the daughter of Joan (née Allman), a pilates teacher, and Henry Okonedo, who worked for the government.Her father is a Nigerian, and her mother, an Ashkenazi Jew, was born in the East End to Yiddish-speaking immigrants from Poland and Russia; Okonedo was brought up attending synagogue.When Okonedo was five years old, her father left the family, and she was subsequently brought up in relative poverty by her single mother ("but we always had books," she has said).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure that there's be something interesting in playright Alan Bennett's background if he wanted to do it.

I'd also suggest Coast presenter Neil Oliver who surely must have some exciting ancestors.

Bet they all have long tresses! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the only requirement is that they have ancestoral links with Wales,

Donny Osmond, Cilla Black, Paul Daniels, Christopher Timothy, Janet Street Porter, Michelle Collins are amongst the many that have featured and who are not Welsh in the traditional sense.

The most recent series of Coming Home ended before Christmas.

It is available on Sky to anyone in the UK (BBC Wales features in the 900 channels) and old episodes are repeated on digital channels such as Blighty.

Might be on BBC i player, too, not sure.
    Just checked Digiguide and you are in luck if you can get Blighty (534 Sky, 206 Virgin).

They are running episodes of Coming Home at 01.00 and 01.30 from Tonight and also a complete run of about 12 on Saturday - including all of those mentioned above apart from Michelle Collins plus Petula Clark. Michael York, Michael Heseltine, Susan Sarandon (different family from that she later covered in her US episode - ie the Welsh line), Pam Ferris, Patrick Mower, Michael Ball and probably others I have missed.

ooh I hadn't heard of this, but it sounds interesting - I have set my sky+ for the series starting on Saturday
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I'll follow you by saying Ade Edmonson. :)
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They might be non-welsh celebs but their ancestors were Welsh;)

Below is the website for the celebs, you can view it by year to see who was on.

I havent watched all of them but the Donny Osmond and Olivia Newton John were really good. Olivia ended up visiting a pub where her great-grandmother worked and the current landlord turned out to be a distant cousin she didnt know about.

Mostly with WDYTUA its just the celeb but with Coming Home they sometimes bring family along. Susan Sarandon brought about 12 family members. There were DNA tests to prove they were related to the locals etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0071nf4/episodes/2007
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a slight correction.

I think Michael Ball was probably one of those on the 2010 series in November/December on BBC 1 Wales.

This will no doubt turn up on Blighty later this year perhaps along with the 2009 series that had Michele Collins and John Prescott amongst others.

The ones on Blighty at the moment are from the series shown between 2006 and 2008 I think.
  • Options
    KarlyKarly Posts: 10,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See new thread - "Who do you think they were?" - I think this is a genius idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Karly wrote: »
    See new thread - "Who do you think they were?" - I think this is a genius idea.

Thank you. I have copyrighted it BBC! LOL :p PM me for royalties! :D