the doctor is letting people die left right and centre

garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
Forum Member
Does he know something and is not letting onto Clara?

Comments

• James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    He's not really letting them die people have always died there has never been many stories without at least one death in it.

Now he just doesn't let that hold him back and he forces on the mission in hand which is better really as if he let every death get to him there would be even more.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    garbage456 wrote: »

Is he?

He has rarely been able to prevent every death - it's just that he's not usually shown as admitting that out loud -nor is he shown being able to distance himself from the deaths enough to be able to function and save the ones he is able to.

And that's without the possibility that not everyone we've seen "die" actually did.

Don't forget the 10th Doctor salvaging parts from a cyberman "bride to be" - no different to what we've seen the Doctor doing here.

As for "does he know something" - no-one here actually knows for certain cos it appears to be one of the arc/plotpoints but I've been saying all along that's the case and last night, he admitted that the trip to the train was not a random choice. It may have been a fact finding mission related to "life after death" or dodgy soldiers or simply to impress Clara and get her to WANT the adventure.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it seems to me that he's trying to teach her to accept that you can't save everyone , I do get the feeling that it's leading up to something on a bigger scale and that Clara is going to have to make a similar decision but on a terrifying scale .

another thought I had is that - he's found a way to bring back the survivors of Gallifrey but he can only save a certain number .

• alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    MOTOE had the highest body count ever!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alienpanda wrote: »
    MOTOE had the highest body count ever!!

More than Logopolis?
    Forum Member
    it seems to me that he's trying to teach her to accept that you can't save everyone , I do get the feeling that it's leading up to something on a bigger scale and that Clara is going to have to make a similar decision but on a terrifying scale .

another thought I had is that - he's found a way to bring back the survivors of Gallifrey but he can only save a certain number .

I reckon it's smaller scale - relating to Clara and Dismal Dan cos let's face it - if he ain't already a zombie, he's at least doing a pretty good impression of one.

Re Gallifrey - not sure how to read that. If you're talking about resurrecting individuals, I'd have to point out that you don't need to do that with survivors (the old puzzle - plane crashes on the border between Germany and Austria - according to international law, where do you bury the survivors? :).

I'm pretty sure that Gallifrey is just "hidden" now - so the solution there is to find and release the planet. If you're talking about bring dead Gallifreyans back to life - kind of goes against the "already dead" actions we've seen so far and the general timelord ethic of not messing with "history" in such things (doesn't really seem in character for any Doctor to me).
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's not really, is he? How can he be expected to save someone if he doesn't know how to? The passengers marked for death were his eyes and ears to finding out how to save the rest.
    I couldn't save Quell, I couldn't save Moorhouse. There was a good chance that she'd die too. At which point I would have just moved onto the next, and the next, until I beat it. Sometimes the only choices you have are bad ones. But you still have to choose.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon it's smaller scale - relating to Clara and Dismal Dan cos let's face it - if he ain't already a zombie, he's at least doing a pretty good impression of one.

Re Gallifrey - not sure how to read that. If you're talking about resurrecting individuals, I'd have to point out that you don't need to do that with survivors (the old puzzle - plane crashes on the border between Germany and Austria - according to international law, where do you bury the survivors? :).

I'm pretty sure that Gallifrey is just "hidden" now - so the solution there is to find and release the planet. If you're talking about bring dead Gallifreyans back to life - kind of goes against the "already dead" actions we've seen so far and the general timelord ethic of not messing with "history" in such things (doesn't really seem in character for any Doctor to me).

no , I mean that he can only bring back a certain number of survivors from the pocket universe , the rest will die .

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    He gibbered away on the telephone which directly lead to the people in the kitchen's being killed. He didn't seem to care much.
    Forum Member
    no , I mean that he can only bring back a certain number of survivors from the pocket universe , the rest will die .

I'm with you now.

I'd say they won't "die" - just remain in a permanent state of nothingness (which is not really "death" - more like living in Prestatyn.)
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    He's not really, is he? How can he be expected to save someone if he doesn't know how to? The passengers marked for death were his eyes and ears to finding out how to save the rest.

You seem to be missing my point . I am saying he seems less bothered than normal as in he knows they are not really dead.
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to be missing my point . I am saying he seems less bothered than normal as in he knows they are not really dead.

But we have no idea at the moment that The Doctor knows that everyone who dies is going to Missy's afterlife. We only know (that some are going there) because we, the viewer, have been shown this. We have not seen that the Doctor knows this.

The Doctor is saving people, in the last episode he didn't know HOW to save them until the end, when he put himself in danger. (Unlike DT's Doctor who was more than happy to leave a family to die in Pompeii because he assumed that everyone should die because the event was a fixed point in time. Only Donna pleading with him changed his mind at the last minute).

Just because PC Doctor isn't some lovable huggy handsome floppy haired young man, doesn't mean he is happy to let people die any more than his last incarnations.
    Forum Member
    Badcat wrote: »
    But we have no idea at the moment that The Doctor knows that everyone who dies is going to Missy's afterlife. We only know (that some are going there) because we, the viewer, have been shown this. We have not seen that the Doctor knows this.

The Doctor is saving people, in the last episode he didn't know HOW to save them until the end, when he put himself in danger. (Unlike DT's Doctor who was more than happy to leave a family to die in Pompeii because he assumed that everyone should die because the event was a fixed point in time. Only Donna pleading with him changed his mind at the last minute).

Just because PC Doctor isn't some lovable huggy handsome floppy haired young man, doesn't mean he is happy to let people die any more than his last incarnations.

Well there have been numerous mentions of him doing things in an episode that we never saw. Plus a few times he has gone off on his own. Plus there was the mentions of Danny pink like he knew about his past. Etc etc
    Forum Member
    Badcat wrote: »

Well there have been numerous mentions of him doing things in an episode that we never saw. Plus a few times he has gone off on his own. Plus there was the mentions of Danny pink like he knew about his past. Etc etc

As for Pompeii he said he wants to but he can't. When he does they still die.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He gibbered away on the telephone which directly lead to the people in the kitchen's being killed. He didn't seem to care much.

Surely, GUS led directly to people being killed? Seeing as 'he' was the one who killed them.

Would you say a hostage negotiator was responsible for a hostage being killed for not immediately acquiescing to every demand or would you say the murderer was responsible?

How should he have reacted in that situation? Collapsed to his knees, torn his shirt open and screamed 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DAMN YOU' for 30 seconds?
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There may (probably) be stuff going on that Capaldi's Doctor is doing behind the scenes, indeed.

but also ....

I think the Doctor is carrying less emotional baggage now. After blowing up his people, every death he failed to stop must have made him burn up inside for not doing enough to prevent it.

He knows now he didnt blow up his people, he doesn't feel as responsible for every death now, rather he feels responsible to stop the next the death, as quickly as he can do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    They do seem to be emphasising this Doctor's disregard of human deaths, but each time he is just not dwelling on the death but using that death as a means of saving the rest of them. He is seemingly more callous (than the previous two incarnations) but I think that this has been done to try to bring the Doctor back on track and seem more alien.

With Tennant's Doctor, they made him much more human and this was continued to a degree with Matt Smith (albeit in a more quirky manner), but with Capaldi, they are trying to recapture the mystery that Tom Baker brought to the role with a bit of Pertwee and Hartnell thrown in.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    There may (probably) be stuff going on that Capaldi's Doctor is doing behind the scenes, indeed.

but also ....

I think the Doctor is caring less emotional baggage now. After blowing up his people, every death he failed to stop must have made him burn up inside for not doing enough to prevent it.

He knows now he didnt blow up his people, he doesn't feel as responsible for every death now, rather he feels responsible to stop the next the death, as quickly as he can do it.

I saw it as a bit different maybe even the opposite.

After 1000 years at war on Trenzalore maybe he realised he couldn't save every person imagine if during Trenzalore after every death if he went back to his house and cried for a week 1000's more would die so he had to learn to suck it up and get on with the job at hand no matter how much it may hurt inside.

For all we know when alone in the TARDIS he may show that he's upset over the ones he couldn't save
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it as a bit different maybe even the opposite.

After 1000 years at war on Trenzalore maybe he realised he couldn't save every person imagine if during Trenzalore after every death if he went back to his house and cried for a week 1000's more would die so he had to learn to suck it up and get on with the job at hand no matter how much it may hurt inside.

For all we know when alone in the TARDIS he may show that he's upset over the ones he couldn't save

This is possible as well, I have a question .... gonna start a new thread to discuss
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    They do seem to be emphasising this Doctor's disregard of human deaths, but each time he is just not dwelling on the death but using that death as a means of saving the rest of them. He is seemingly more callous (than the previous two incarnations) but I think that this has been done to try to bring the Doctor back on track and seem more alien.

With Tennant's Doctor, they made him much more human and this was continued to a degree with Matt Smith (albeit in a more quirky manner), but with Capaldi, they are trying to recapture the mystery that Tom Baker brought to the role with a bit of Pertwee and Hartnell thrown in.

Yes this regeneration Doctor is doing things differently.

I keep remembering him telling Clara that he has been alive for over 2000 years and has made a lot of mistakes, and that now he thinks it is time to rectify that.

Maybe he is doing things differently to avoid making mistakes he will find hard to live with and is rectifying his reaction to things as best he can. I am ok with his decisions so far.

I loved this last episode and thought the Doctor truly shone.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We didn't see the end of his conversation with the Half-Faced Man in Deep Breath, then he tollded off on his own when he went for coffee between episodes 1 & 2, ...

...and we didn't see what was outside in Listen either because Clara couldn't see it on the screen.

;)
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not letting people die he,'s just not getting all emotional like 10 one especially 11 would.

Those doctors would waste the 66 seconds trying to comfort the victim then doing s speech about how he will stop it.

12 unused the time like a scientist to actually try and stop it. I much prefer this Doctor's methods
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Surely, GUS led directly to people being killed? Seeing as 'he' was the one who killed them.

Would you say a hostage negotiator was responsible for a hostage being killed for not immediately acquiescing to every demand or would you say the murderer was responsible?

How should he have reacted in that situation? Collapsed to his knees, torn his shirt open and screamed 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DAMN YOU' for 30 seconds?

Yes..
  • Ship's SurgeonShip's Surgeon Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Maybe he will come to regret the loss, maybe he will ask Missy to undo the damage?
    Forum Member
    Maybe he will come to regret the loss, maybe he will ask Missy to undo the damage?

What's dividing people is whether or not there is any "damage" in people dying an unavoidable death. There is certainly potential damage in Doctor Who in saving someone whose "time is up" - everyone's death is part of "history" and some deaths are "fixed points" (in DW terms).

It's possible if not entire certain that the point of showing the Doctor accepting those peoples' fate is a reference to the episode "Fires of Pompeii" in which he interfered with history and saved Caecilius and his family - which may be important given that Peter Capaldi played that character as well.