Dragons' Den really seems tired now

PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
Forum Member
I used to really enjoy it but it's hard to get through an episode these days.

There are at least 2 throughly uninteresting dragons and Theo is badly missed.

Bannatyne is clearly tuned to the moon but how can Peter Jones be bothered anymore?

Comments

• Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it back on?
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    Is it back on?

Yes, on BBC2 just now.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, on BBC2 just now.

Oh cheers. I missed it. I'll watch it on iplayer later. :)
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With three Dragons leaving I expected them to can it but it sounds like they're doing at least another series. Peter hinted Michelle Mone is one new Dragon but I'm not sure they've announced anything yet.

BTW I agree. Used to be the best TV show for me but I lost interest a good few series ago.
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they will do one more series, and I think it will be rubbish unless they get high profile people or someone with character.
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    With three Dragons leaving I expected them to can it but it sounds like they're doing at least another series. Peter hinted Michelle Mone is one new Dragon but I'm not sure they've announced anything yet.

BTW I agree. Used to be the best TV show for me but I lost interest a good few series ago.

I definitely won't watch it if Michelle Mone joins. She's absolutely horrendous and isn't a proper business person.
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of these business people all look the same, with boring ideas or ridiculous. Its just become about entertainment, the same as the Apprentice.

I know its always been entertainment but both shows were more serious before.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Duncan he will be a loss Piers is great, to be honest for me the only thing I look forward to on a Sunday night now.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have killed this show 5 or 6 seasons ago.
    I used to enjoy it when it first started but now I just can't watch it. I am amazed the bbc still commission it!
  • Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to really enjoy it but it's hard to get through an episode these days.

There are at least 2 throughly uninteresting dragons and Theo is badly missed.

Bannatyne is clearly tuned to the moon but how can Peter Jones be bothered anymore?

I agree it's definitely not as good as it used to be. One of the reasons is the dragons aren't as good, I really don't like Kelly or piers for me they don't add much to the show. The second reason is that it's been on for so long now the premise of the show just isn't as interesting as it used to be and I generally find it quite boring now apart from the odd pitch.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    The problem with the show is that it has gotten dull because there are only so many different conversations you can have about generally the same thing and there are very rarely brilliant new ideas never seen before.

The biggest issue is that it is very hard to see what you could change about the show to refresh it without destroying the fundamental point or making some ridiculous gimmick.

I suppose at the end of the day it is a lazy Sunday night show that I assume gets decent enough ratings for the production costs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Kelly and Piers were a terrible addition, i only really liked Peter , Theo and Duncan
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't agree its tired,its still compelling tv because the format is so strong.
  • Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... Piers is great, to be honest for me the only thing I look forward to on a Sunday night now.

:confused:

the guy has the charisma of a newt and is about as exciting to watch as paint that dried a decade ago! this is the extent of his input:

'the thing is, people can copy it.'
    'the thing is, the big players can copy it.'
    'the thing is, you don't really have anything you can protect, therefore people or the big players can copy it.'
    'the thing is, what's to stop me copying it tomorrow?'

boring boring BORING ... goodbye piers, even if this show does just have one more run you won't be missed, nor will you hoppen, goodbye! as for mone, i'll reserve judgement but i'm already thinking NOOooo!

this show is in dire need of characters to liven it up. i used to love it but agree it's become pretty tired.
  • TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a previous Dragons Den, there was a link to a site which showed at a glance which of the entrepreneurs were still in business, which weren't etc
    Anyone remember it?
    Want to have a look at what happened to tonight's ideas.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Branson would be a coop
  • Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Richard Branson would be a coop

i'm not sure he would tbh, as successful as he undoubtedly is, he can sometimes be a bit of a mumbling bumbling nervous type when on telly ... this show needs strong characters that come across well on tv and viewers are engaged by to revive it.

i wouldn't even want bill gates on it, too level headed / boring.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now?

It's been knackered for years!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather see something that encouraged entrepreneurs rather than destroyed them with soundbites.
  • Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's disgusting how the 'Dragons' often demand 40-50% of someones business in return for an investment. Okay I get they don't have to invest (although they sort of do, as it's the point of the show) but at the same time it seems unsavoury that this rich, multi-multi-millionaire is taking 50% of this poor, economically hard-up woman looking for a break in life in return for an investment that he wouldn't even notice missing.

It's never sat right with me that out of sheer want of ego they take 40-50% of potentially someone's future income. Most small businesses will be lucky to break £100,000 a year. So what's £40,000 to someone like Duncan Bannatyne or Peter Jones? Whereas it could be a HUGE difference to some poor guy off the street who had a good idea.

It's a way to humiliate people with ambition for small change. It's a morally detestable programme.
  • man_plebsman_plebs Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I definitely won't watch it if Michelle Mone joins. She's absolutely horrendous and isn't a proper business person.

I agree or that football woman from apprentice, neither are real business people
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member
    rhumble wrote: »
    Kelly and Piers were a terrible addition, i only really liked Peter , Theo and Duncan

I thought that Piers was particularly difficult last night. He pulled that Cash and Carry guy's business apart and still said he's out, there was no reason for him to do that, he clearly wasn't intersted.

Theo was my all time favourite Dragon, not been quite the same since he left.

I hope it continues, I do enjoy the show, let's just hope that they can get three decent new additions to the show.
  • MontyzumaMontyzuma Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Bingo_ wrote: »
    I think it's disgusting how the 'Dragons' often demand 40-50% of someones business in return for an investment. Okay I get they don't have to invest (although they sort of do, as it's the point of the show) but at the same time it seems unsavoury that this rich, multi-multi-millionaire is taking 50% of this poor, economically hard-up woman looking for a break in life in return for an investment that he wouldn't even notice missing.

It's never sat right with me that out of sheer want of ego they take 40-50% of potentially someone's future income. Most small businesses will be lucky to break £100,000 a year. So what's £40,000 to someone like Duncan Bannatyne or Peter Jones? Whereas it could be a HUGE difference to some poor guy off the street who had a good idea.

It's a way to humiliate people with ambition for small change. It's a morally detestable programme.

Maybe you haven't grasped the in's and outs of venture capital - it is not pretty, but can make a massive difference to 'some poor guy off the street'. You shouldn't just focus on the affect on the owners dividend. The exit strategy is often where the real money is earned
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bingo_ wrote: »

Well the saying goes.. 60% of something successful is better than 100% of nothing.

Example.. Levi Roots. Went into the Den with a home made food sauce he sold in Notting Hill. He'd sold 4,000 bottles and had a catchy tune for his product "Reggae Reggae Sauce". He wanted £50,000 for 20%. Peter and Richard gave him £50,000 for 40%.

He's now worth £35 million. Why? Because Peter used his contacts to immediately get the sauce sold in Sainsbury's to capitalise on the publicity from the show and I believe it's still on sale in every supermarket today. It was a very successful product and it's made him a lot of money.

The dragon's argument is they're not just handing over money and saying "Good luck, make me some money".. they're heavily involved with any product they invest in. They have various industry contacts already established who they'd call upon to ensure the product gets a huge head start and quite often this results in success. And they're opinion is this injection of capital and access to resources/contacts/experience is worth more than 20%. Especially if the offer is coming from a dragon who already has knowledge in the sector your product sits in.

Could Levi have succeeded on his own? Perhaps. Maybe someone would have called him after the show and made him a better offer. But do you think he regrets shaking hands with Peter & Richard? I very much doubt it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show needs to replace Duncan (sad he's left), Piers (won't be missed, arrogant miserable bugger) and Kelly (didn't make much difference tbh)..with characters, someone who will laugh. Don't suppose Theo will come back? Who is there out there that could come in? That will be good additions to the show? Who will make brilliant decisions and make us laugh and be a warm addition to the show.

Also, Piers last night was a d**k with that cash and carry guy. As Duncan said, if you wasn't going to invest then why bother picking it apart? JUst don't bother