2 Broke Girls (E4, UK Pace, No Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    If you found the pilot too rude and offensive, probably best not to continue, I saw the first two episodes at US pace and the series relies on more adult/offensive humour. It's one of those comedies that isn't really looking for critical success, and doesn't really do anything out of the box, but if you don't mind offensive jokes it can be quite funny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I quite liked the pilot when i watched it last year at US pace, my only problem with it was the completely unneccesary laughter track. The show was funny as it was, it really didn't need it.

That said, i'll probably give it another chance next week.
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the opener. Lively stuff. Barely registered on the scale of offensiveness compared to some things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh so far. Passed a half hour after TBBT hilarity.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I thought it was ok but i dont understand why everyones saying its crude and rude? Did i miss something?
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I thought it was ok but i dont understand why everyones saying its crude and rude? Did i miss something?

It was implied that the blonde girls waitress uniform had semen on it when she thought it was mustard. That's about as crude as it got.

I thought it was great. :o And Jennifer Coolidge is in later episodes, she's hilarious. :D
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Oh lol i thought it was mustard. I must say that i find the big bang theory is ofte much ruder and thats on in the afternoons. I will prob keep watching this show as i think it will probably get better once it gets going.
    Forum Member

There was a rape joke, and I'm given to understand another one in the third episode, this put a lot of critics (and presumably audience members) off
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic comedy. I laughed throughout must be though (according to some posters) that I have a mind for crude jokes.

That made it fresh for me. I like a bit of dirty humour. We are adults after all. (or I hope so)
  • cudzndripscudzndrips Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=rosco2010;57758340

I thought it was great. :o And Jennifer Coolidge is in later episodes, she's hilarious. :D[/QUOTE]

"I like big strong men, yar!" lol
  • EmmaGxEmmaGx Posts: 31,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... does anybody else find the blatent capitalist, American Dream type world view of 2 Broke Girls wrong for the UK? ... I find the idea that Max just needs to be told by a rich girl to work a little harder, save & blow all her money on a risky cupcake shop really pretty offensive ... seems like a show created by rich Americans living the dream, telling all those that they've clambered over that they just need to try harder and everything will be rosy for them too ...
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it. Didn't have me falling about on the floor laughing but there was certainly enough there that'll get me back next week.

And Kat Dennings is always easy on the eye I s'pose :)
  • hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cudzndrips wrote: »
    "I like big strong men, yar!" lol

"Im a lady" and the infamous "You know the chanel"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must say i really enjoyed this, and my husband who normally dont like US comedies also enjoyed it. Think for me its the direct more adult style that i enjoyed, far better than the fluffy style of most new US comedies.

Love the one liners,
    the dry vagina comeback to the guy in the diner was a classic :D

Just hope it dont go downhill and the canned laughter, is it really needed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you found the pilot too rude and offensive, probably best not to continue, I saw the first two episodes at US pace and the series relies on more adult/offensive humour. It's one of those comedies that isn't really looking for critical success, and doesn't really do anything out of the box, but if you don't mind offensive jokes it can be quite funny.

Sounds great to me :D, makes a change to have a rude comedy, too much fluffy stuff at the moment and this is far better then that new girl show.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. the canned laughter, is it really needed?

There's no "canned laughter" - it's filmed before a studio audience.
    Forum Member
    Sounds great to me :D, makes a change to have a rude comedy, too much fluffy stuff at the moment and this is far better then that new girl show.

I like both this and New Girl, I never said being crude was a bad thing. I just said if you thought it was too crude, to run and not spend anymore time on it..
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where did New Girl disappear to?:confused:

It was on CH4 up to episode 11 "Jess and Julia"
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am watching this US pace, and I must say, I think the first episode was the worst of them all. It does get alot better, for anyone who's on the fence atm... :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where did New Girl disappear to?:confused:

It was on CH4 up to episode 11 "Jess and Julia"

Think CH4 have canned it for the time being, guess low ratings, IMO it was dire, the worse comedy ever to come out of the US, storylines were shocking acting was even worse.
    Forum Member
    Think CH4 have canned it for the time being, guess low ratings, IMO it was dire, the worse comedy ever to come out of the US, storylines were shocking acting was even worse.

It didn't really get low ratings, it got reasonable ratings on television (every episode beat E4's record at the time, I think they set a new one recently). It was the most popular show on 4od throughout most, if not all, of it's run. It's set to return in a later slot on Friday evenings soon.

I don't see what everyone's complaints with it were, the acting was reasonable, not oscar worthy but it's a sitcom it doesn't need spectacular acting. The storylines were effective and made sense, fail to see how they were to shocking. I've yet to find someone who can fully qualify what they disliked about it, other than vague term "It was crap"....

Also, before you call it the worst sitcom ever try watching Allen Gregory or Whitney.....
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they were referring to the bit at the end where she's sitting on her horse in a short skirt that's all hitched up around her thighs. Hopefully there was no dialogue in that scene. Or maybe "Marrying the ketchup" is an American euphemism that I'm not familiar with.

Anyway, I liked the pilot, mainly because the characters worked and their relationship made sense.

That said, I'm not yet getting the character of Max. Half the time she's strong, confident, sassy, taking no nonsense from anyone, and dead inside. The other half she's a sweetheart and a doormat. Her entire second job was to be a doormat for that rich lady, she doesn't charge enough for the cupcakes, and her boyfriend had her wrapped around his little finger. And then she suddenly turns around and dumps him.
    EmmaGx wrote: »
    find the idea that Max just needs to be told by a rich girl to work a little harder, save & blow all her money on a risky cupcake shop really pretty offensive ...
    See above; it seems Max has a weak personality and lets others take advantage of her, at least sometimes, and Caroline is exploiting it. It doesn't mean the show is condoning capitalism. Neither of these women is necessarily a role model.
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently "marrying" the ketchup means pouring the contents of partially-filled bottles into another partially-filled bottle to make a full bottle.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently "marrying" the ketchup means pouring the contents of partially-filled bottles into another partially-filled bottle to make a full bottle.
    They should call that Snow Balling the Ketchups. :)

though Divorcing the Ketchups sounds more appropriate, with the one filled up being the female.
  • DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Thats not what rape feels like"
    "..She's cuming"
    "You're getting me wet"
    "That girl is working harder than Stephen Hawking putting on a pair of cufflinks"
    "You think this (clicking the fingers) is the sound that gets you service, I think that´s the sound that dries up my vagina."