Chromecast - will you get it?

15678911»

Comments

• RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Ok, remembered to try this. Sky go does not work with either my tablet or phone (LG G3) using the screencast feature. You get an error stating that sky go does not support miracast. The sky sports app does work on my phone, l don't have the app on my tablet. The quality of the image on the TV was at best SD quality, so watchable.

Sorry for misleading some of you. I can only think that sky have updated the sky go app to stop it working with the screencast feature, or l was mistaken when l said l got it to work.

Thanks mate for clarifying. You had us all sitting up to attention there for a moment :D:D.

Anyone using NOW TV app with the Chromecast yet? Just wondered what sort of quality you are getting? Presumably the fixed 60Hz output from the CC is still causing juddering on TVs that can't cope?
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Restorer wrote: »
    Thanks mate for clarifying. You had us all sitting up to attention there for a moment :D:D.

Anyone using NOW TV app with the Chromecast yet? Just wondered what sort of quality you are getting? Presumably the fixed 60Hz output from the CC is still causing juddering on TVs that can't cope?

Its strange that the sky sports app works over chromecast, whilst the sky go app doesnt. I would hazzard a guess that the sky sports app will be changed in future updates, so it wont work via screen casting.

Have you tried an app called Showbox (on android)? Here is a Youtube of it in action. Its a great app....I have been using it for a few months now. I use this along with localcast to watch movies/tv shows on my tv.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is spotify not supportive this? I find this a bit of a bug bare
  • BigBadJimmyBigBadJimmy Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Its strange that the sky sports app works over chromecast, whilst the sky go app doesnt. I would hazzard a guess that the sky sports app will be changed in future updates, so it wont work via screen casting.

It seems that Sky aren't so worried about how the Sky Sports app is used; Sky Go is completely unusable on jailbroken iOS devices but the Sky Sports app works fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    Why is spotify not supportive this? I find this a bit of a bug bare

I think it's because they have their own thing going on - Spotify Connect - which they maybe see as competing in some ways with Chromecast.

EDIT: And it's the main reason I switched to Google Play Music.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite surprised Twitch is supporting Chromecast after being bought by Amazon....

http://blog.twitch.tv/2014/09/twitch-on-chromecast-is-finally-here/
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's because they have their own thing going on - Spotify Connect - which they maybe see as competing in some ways with Chromecast.

EDIT: And it's the main reason I switched to Google Play Music.

I like spotify though, is google play as good? Plus they don't have an iPad app only iphone
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    I like spotify though, is google play as good? Plus they don't have an iPad app only iphone

I've found the service to be more or less the same as Spotify.

Of course you can still use the iPhone app on iPad, although it's not ideal. If your iPad is jailbroken it's possible to "unlock" the iPad version - for some reason they've hidden an iPad-formatted version within the iPhone app. This would suggest it won't be long until it's released officially on iPad.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Anyone managed to get ITV Player to work on Chromecast?
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    Anyone managed to get ITV Player to work on Chromecast?

Simple answer - yes - no problems at all/

However, you do not say what device you are using etc. Difficult to assess what your real issue is.

Actually best way of doing itv player is to install itv as a channel on plex (not an official channel but there are guides on web how to do this). Plex is clever enough to delete all the tedious commercials that you can't fast forward over.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    It's a Samsung Note 3, I installed the ITV player and that works but I cannot see how to how cast it via chromecast or localcast.

I can watch it on TV by sending it to my Sony Smart DVD player via TV Sideview but that's not in the room I want to watch it in.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been having some problems with my Chromecast recently. When switching to Chromecast (HDMI2) the TV flickers for a while then displays "Out of range". If I reboot the Chromecast whilst the TV is on HDMI2 it solves the problem, but that's the only way I can get it working. I've also tried it in different HDMI ports but get the same problem.

I can't find much about this issue online but read that it might be something to do with HDCP? The TV is a Sony Bravia. Other HD sources like the Sky box are working fine.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cross channel interference.? Check what else is on the channel and swap (try inSSIDer) to a spare one. Try the router in slightly different positions to aid reception.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the cheapest place to buy this device? Sounds interesting. Wouldnt mine playing about with one.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the cheapest place to buy this device? Sounds interesting. Wouldnt mine playing about with one.

I'd keep an eye on the usual outlets - Tesco, Amazon e.t.c..

A few months back, they had a period where it could be bought for £18 pounds and everyone price-matched it as well, but it's still currently £30 quid everywhere again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Cross channel interference.? Check what else is on the channel and swap (try inSSIDer) to a spare one. Try the router in slightly different positions to aid reception.

The "out of range" message is being generated by the TV rather than the Chromecast.

It's as if the TV can't lock on to the Chromecast, as the screen flickers and it rapidly switches between 480p/1080p a few times, then gives up and shows "out of range".

I don't think it's related to WiFI, but the router is only inches away and on a clear channel so the signal should be very good.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "out of range" message is being generated by the TV rather than the Chromecast.

It's as if the TV can't lock on to the Chromecast, as the screen flickers and it rapidly switches between 480p/1080p a few times, then gives up and shows "out of range".

I don't think it's related to WiFI, but the router is only inches away and on a clear channel so the signal should be very good.
    You are correct. The Chromecast will generate a stable TV picture whether or not it is connected to your router. Sounds like it has suddenly decided to output a video format your TV can't handle, but I have no idea why it should do that. I can't remember if there are any options you can change using the Chromecast app, but it's worth looking. Otherwise, it sounds like something might be faulty. Can you try it on another TV to rule that out?
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be a power issue for the Chromecast device?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you cast from the 'Ustream' app to TV via Chromecast?
    Forum Member
    Can you cast from the 'Ustream' app to TV via Chromecast?

If the Ustream app allows an external player then the answer is yes. If it doesnt, then you can cast the screen, and what is on the screen will be on your tv. Although this may not give the desired results (this feature is still in beta).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad to say my Chromecast problems are fixed now. I tried it in a different TV and it worked, so then I tried a factory reset on my main TV. Now the Chromecast is working perfectly again. Clearly the TV was at fault.
    Forum Member
    I'm glad to say my Chromecast problems are fixed now. I tried it in a different TV and it worked, so then I tried a factory reset on my main TV. Now the Chromecast is working perfectly again. Clearly the TV was at fault.

Thats good to hear, glad you got it sorted out. :)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're on iOS and have a DLNA device, such as a NAS drive, i've just stumbled upon this free app on iTunes

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/videocast-for-chromecast-dlna/id948888932?mt=8

Just been trying it in the last 10 minutes and it's surprisingly good. Plays MKV files quite well, although it doesn't appear to play some MKV's for some reason. Copes well with MP4's and avi's but still testing it at the moment.