Dancing on Wheels (BBC3 Thursday 9pm)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
Forum Member
Six part series.
BBC 3 Thursday 9pm with a repeat in the early hours of Friday morning.

Six wheelchair users and their celebrity partners compete in a wheelchair ballroom dancing competition. Three couples lean the cha cha cha and the other three take on the tango.

This si something a bit different and it's good that it gets to show that people in wheelchairs can do things for recreation and fun, A real chance to change people's atitudes. So why in the hell do they have to bring in "celebrities" to mess it up?
I know that many people are sad and would only watch this show because there is someone famous(?) on it, but IMO it's wrong. All the focus is going to be on them and not the wheelchair bound competitors.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After watching the first show I think this deserves a much higher profile than to be on BBC 3. The things that the wheelchair dancers did tonight were amazing and more people should see that a wheelchair is no bar to anything.
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, they were a real inspiration.
  • funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,350
    Forum Member
    After watching the first show I think this deserves a much higher profile than to be on BBC 3. The things that the wheelchair dancers did tonight were amazing and more people should see that a wheelchair is no bar to anything.

Totally - This should have been the same profile as Strictly - really enjoyed it
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    They were all absolutely brilliant - its a shame one of them had to go!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    CaroUK wrote: »
    They were all absolutely brilliant - its a shame one of them had to go!

I've not seen this show tet but the above comment has disappointed me.

What does every show have to be an elimination show?
    Why can't one do a point system like they did on The Games (channel 4) then everyone is there to the end experiencing everything but the winner is the one with the most points.

The whole elimination this is totally over used now.:(
  • puddytatpuddytat Posts: 6,351
    Forum Member
    I've not seen this show tet but the above comment has disappointed me.

Why can't one do a point system like they did on The Games (channel 4) then everyone is there to the end experiencing everything but the winner is the one with the most points.

The whole elimination this is totally over used now.:(

What a brilliant idea - it gets my vote. The eliminations are so painful and cause such distress.
  • ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed this programme and the people are inspirational.

I wish there hadn't been an elimination, more scored each week and then a winner and runner up announced at the end. I liked everyone on it and would liked to have seen how they all improved over the weeks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The elimination "route" seems even more pointless when it's just as a result of judges decision, with no public involvement in a vote.

It's not live, either, more like a documentary, so they can hardly say that it's to increase the tension.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The elimination "route" seems even more pointless when it's just as a result of judges decision, with no public involvement in a vote.

It's not live, either, more like a documentary, so they can hardly say that it's to increase the tension.

I quite agree and hope that the BBC will see this as a natural development of Strictly. It would gain so much more from being live and also having some form of viewer participation.

I also have to say that prior to watching this I was not a fan of Brian Fortuna but this has raised him in my estimation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I quite agree and hope that the BBC will see this as a natural development of Strictly. It would gain so much more from being live and also having some form of viewer participation.

I also have to say that prior to watching this I was not a fan of Brian Fortuna but this has raised him in my estimation.

I've still to see this. There's naff all on Saturday night's so am saving this for tomorrow.

I disagree regarding having viewer participation. IMO too many shows are ruined by it.
    I'm not talking about who goes and stays etc, but in relation to the phone numbers. If someone said to you do you want to go to the theatre to watch someone read out the yellow pages you would say no I bleeding don't! :rolleyes:

Well what is the difference between that and the average Saturday night? After every act you get a phone number. At the end of the acts you get all the phone numbers, they go to the break and tell you the numbers again and depending on the show as the credits start they tell you the numbers again.

1) If you don't want people rining and their vote not counting, don't tell them the numbers all through the show

2) If you don't want people calling and their vote not counting don't open the sodding lines until every act has performed.

This is hardly rocket science!

IMO one of the strengths of shows such as Coach Trip, Come Dine With Me, The Biggest Loser, ANTM, The Apprentice etc is the fact you just watch the show. You may not like who goes, you may not agree with it but too bad.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was really pleased when they first talked about this show. Wheelchair dancing is huge in other countries, but almost non-existant in UK. There are clubs that cater for wheelchair dancing, but they are very few and far between.

Brian is an expert with this choreography, and the show should have been great ......

BUT why on earth didn't they use proper dancers as partners, instead non-dancing, so-called celebs? Martin Ofiah, for example, tried hard but looked awful. And as for Heather - she has no idea of musicality and looked as if she had never danced a step in her life - her leg movements were atrocious, and her timing a disgrace.

The winners of the show are meant to go on to represent UK in the European chmpships, but without dancers as partners, the wheelchair dancers not only won't stand a chance, they will find themselves way out of place.

Shame - it should have been great!
  • SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, but on the other hand, are there likely to be any amateur dancers good enough and spare that want to do it? I would have thought that the pro dancers wouldn't be eligeable? Or have I got that wrong?

What I don't understand though is how they got Mark Foster (who, although obviously an extremely nice man, can't dance) and Heather Small (who also has issues) to do it. I think that's a bit unfair, as the people partnered with them aren't going to stand much of a chance.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, but on the other hand, are there likely to be any amateur dancers good enough and spare that want to do it? I would have thought that the pro dancers wouldn't be eligeable? Or have I got that wrong?

What I don't understand though is how they got Mark Foster (who, although obviously an extremely nice man, can't dance) and Heather Small (who also has issues) to do it. I think that's a bit unfair, as the people partnered with them aren't going to stand much of a chance.

I'm not sure whether pro dancers would be eligible - it depends on the competition. However, I know quite a few really good amateur ballroom dancers who not only would have loved to have partnered the wheelchair dancers, but who have already worked with wheelchair dancers.
  • LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member

What a great idea, I was really upset seeing the young girl leave the show first.
    kaycee wrote: »

BUT why on earth didn't they use proper dancers as partners, instead non-dancing, so-called celebs? Martin Ofiah, for example, tried hard but looked awful. And as for Heather - she has no idea of musicality and looked as if she had never danced a step in her life - her leg movements were atrocious, and her timing a disgrace.

The winners of the show are meant to go on to represent UK in the European chmpships, but without dancers as partners, the wheelchair dancers not only won't stand a chance, they will find themselves way out of place.

I missed the show when it was on last Thursday as stupidly I was looking out for it on BBC2 and didn't realise it was on BBC3 so I recorded it in the early hours of Wednesday morning and watched it last night. Anyway I actually came on here to say exactly the same thing why didn't they use top amateur or semi professional dancers; certainly the clip we saw of an actual championship seemed to have expect dancers partnering the wheelchair dancers. I felt really sorry for some of the dancers especially Heather's partner as he nearly got knocked out because of her and of course Martin's partner. I agree why pick 3 from SCD who actually weren't very good on that. I'm thinking (I don't know of course) that the UK is going to be shown up in the championship, I hope not though.
  • lilhunni_Jolilhunni_Jo Posts: 13,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought Mark and his partner were one of the best though. I thought he was really not good on Strictly, but was pleasantly surprised here. :)
    Forum Member
    Love this show
    Forum Member

I thought that the standard of the Strictly contestents from their prospective series wasn;t great annd then Michelle, Caroline and Jake Dean who have never taken part.
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    I was surprised at the choice of Mark & Heather from the long list of past SCD contestants. Nice people but they just couldn't dance. Martin at least managed to come 4th in his series (3rd if you discount the dreadful Christopher Parker.....)

Personally I thought Heather was particularly awful in week 1 and should have gone then. This week it was a no brainer that she should go. Her partner was one of the weaker wheelchair competitors too. Mark surprised me with the tango last week and wasn't too awful in the foxtrot - but the acid test will come with the Latin .....
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked yesterday's show (although I would have preferred a bit less controversy). I really loved Michelle and Harry's dance off dance. That was so beautiful. Shame that Caroline and James have become a bit cocky (I don't mean as people but in their approach to the rehearsal).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was so glad that Harry and Michelle survived the dance off, and like James and Ola I had a little tear in my eye, it felt so emotional.:)

Not so keen on Brian's attitude to Simone, though:(
  • tiddlebootiddleboo Posts: 1,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot Harry and Michelle, I nearly went a whole day without weeping like a child and then this!!!

Gorgeous, gorgeous routine, loved Di and Marks too.

Agree with the comment about James and Caroline getting a tad complacent, hope they are back on form next week x
  • ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love harry and Michelle, they are just so good together.

I really like James and Caroline and think that they are the best hope when it goes to the actual championships but they are getting complacent and that's a shame.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Final is on now, just finishing.

EDIT: Ah, right result.