How to get hd freeview channels?

I cant see a relevant post, so have to start a new one. We have a panasonic lcd tv, model tx-26lxd8 which is 'hd ready'. My tv region (bristol) should get hd freeview, so how can i tune in the tv to pick up the hd channels? Frequent retunes haven't enabled it and i can't find any reference to hd freeview in the manual or on line. Any ideas?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeview HD requires a tuner that can receive the HD mux which uses a different format to the others. The TV being HD ready has nothing to do with that ability.

If there is no mention in the manual of Freeview HD, DVB T2 or a Freeview HD logo anywhere on the box, TV or manual then the TV cannot receive Freeview HD unaided. And no amount of retuning is going to change that.

If the TV cannot receive Freeview HD on it's own then you will need to add an external box to do the job.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the cheapest way of doing that is one of the £20 HD boxes being sold on ebay by Tesco Outlet
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP your TV was made quite some time before production of TVB T2 tuners were made and Freeview HD was never fitted to any Panasonic 26" TV's ( They have discontinued 26" TV ages ago as well )

Even when in 2010 HD started to be more readily available it was generally only on mid to high end TV's

AS others have said get a low cost HB box as a stop gap solution , but got to say HD on such a small low res screen -- well you wont see much of a change unless you are very near to the screen . Sorry to be negative but long term it might be worth getting a larger TV with built in HD , there have been big improvements in picture performance , connectivity and networking since 2008.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    ProDave wrote: »
    And the cheapest way of doing that is one of the £20 HD boxes being sold on ebay by Tesco Outlet
    But a more flexible way is to spend more on a Freeview HD PVR.