Baked Beans whats gone wrong?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aldi beans used to be really nice, good thick rich sauce. Lately they've gone downhill, even my kids say they taste funny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never realised there was that much of an opinion on baked beans! I just buy whatever is on offer, or own brand.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycat wrote: »
    Aldi beans used to be really nice, good thick rich sauce. Lately they've gone downhill, even my kids say they taste funny.

Agree with your kids - stopped buying them and gone back to Crosse and Blackwell.
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I think it was Crosse and Blackwell beans that pissed me off. The tins didn't stack on top of each other properly when in the cupboard. Very annoying.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it comes to baked beans brands I tend to go where the wind takes me.
  • Finchy44Finchy44 Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I prefer Branston to Heinz
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always liked Heinz but their beans are now hard, except for the ones that have sausage in the tin, I don't know what's happened to them. I bought Branston ones after they were recommended in the last bean thread and spat them out like a toddler. I also bought Tesco finest beans, they were foul.

There endeth my bean tales.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    Beanz Meanz Heinz.
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    When it comes to baked beans brands I tend to go where the wind takes me.

Me too, where will it blow us to next? :D
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,870
    Forum Member
    We bought some from tesco the others day that have vodka in the sauce. Not tried them yet though. Whatever happened to cheap beans for around 9p a tin? Seems the cheapest are sound the 30p mark these days.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We bought some from tesco the others day that have vodka in the sauce. Not tried them yet though. Whatever happened to cheap beans for around 9p a tin? Seems the cheapest are sound the 30p mark these days.

Bloody Mary beans. What an excellent idea.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,041
    Forum Member
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    I drown them in brown sauce so it doesn't really matter what brand.:o

I like them with a bit of Reggae Reggae sauce (or brown, or Ketchup). Nowt embarrassing about that

And Aldi beans are just fine
  • little dilbertlittle dilbert Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Foul stuff, baked beans. Start fermenting in the stomach.
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heinz are the only ones I'll even consider eating. I'm not a fan of baked beans really. At most I will have beans on toast once in a blue moon when I get an out of character craving for it, but generally they aren't something I eat.
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I picked Heinz but they're not like they used to be!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Branston beans are well nice. Heinz are too watery!
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Branston beans... but I accidentally hit 'Other', not realising they were C&B.:o
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexy_86 wrote: »
    Branston beans are well nice. Heinz are too watery!

They're passable if you mix in a load of ketchup otherwise they are pretty tasteless, watery and cheap tasting.
    Forum Member
    How many members here have watched a Western film and seen the actors/characters sitting around a camp fire with a tin plate filled with bacon and beans? The food is shovelled into the mouths of the actors indicating that what they're eating is an absolute feast. How many of you craved a baked bean after watching such a scene? I know that I have but admit that it took a few minutes to register that what they were eating wasn't what Mr Heinz had produced. I'll bet that whatever they were eating wouldn't be a patch on a can of beans and sausage. What's with those glorious little sausages? Nothing else on earth tastes like them because they're perfection in the world of fast food. ;)
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    MargMck wrote: »
    Another vote for Branston beans... but I accidentally hit 'Other', not realising they were C&B.:o

C & B are not exactly the same as Branston beans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    How many members here have watched a Western film and seen the actors/characters sitting around a camp fire with a tin plate filled with bacon and beans?
    Like this one Twinkle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXL33VZfi0c
  • MordirithMordirith Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Indiscretions of Archie by P G Wodehouse: “Here have I been kicking because you weren’t a real burglar, when it doesn’t amount to a hill of beans whether you are or not”. :)
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »

Consider yourself SUED!! You had no right to inflict such hilarity onto an unsuspecting female member of DS!! My ribs are never going to be the same again.

Seriously though, I'd forgotten all about that film but it's true, beans do create a certain amount of gas.

Thank you, I enjoyed that. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Thank you, I enjoyed that. :D
    Better out than in. The laughter I mean :D
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would only ever eat Heinz Beans until I tried Branston and now I'll only eat Branston, they're far superior.

Branston ketchup is just as good as Heinz too.