True Detective Season 2, Sky Atlantic 22 June

Comments

• RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    I would be bothered if I knew who the hell Stan was, which pretty much sums up how I feel about this season so far. I simply can't get hold of the many characters that roam in and out of the three episodes. Was I supposed to care that Stan was killed? Sorry, I couldn't sum up the shock
    I was taking the piss. No one knows who Stan was, other than he was one of Vaughn's henchmen who we only ever saw hanging around Vaughn, mostly unnoticed in the background. Obviously the way Vaughn was playing it it was supposed to be a big deal (basically to show us that he was losing the respect of his peers and they aren't afraid to go after someone close to him), but as a viewer it was hard to give a shit about poor old Stan.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I was taking the piss. No one knows who Stan was, other than he was one of Vaughn's henchmen who we only ever saw hanging around Vaughn, mostly unnoticed in the background. Obviously the way Vaughn was playing it it was supposed to be a big deal (basically to show us that he was losing the respect of his peers and they aren't afraid to go after someone close to him), but as a viewer it was hard to give a shit about poor old Stan.

Yeah, I know:D That's why I loved and laughed at the "OMG" and exclamination marks. It pretty much summed up the reaction I was meant to have but couldn't be arsed to conjure up.:D
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better than season 1 for me ( which i enjoyed ) the opening episode wasn't that great but the last two have been terrific.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bingbong wrote: »
    Better than season 1 for me ( which i enjoyed ) the opening episode wasn't that great but the last two have been terrific.

Oh no, oh no, no, no.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The posts since the previous episode have been more entertaining than the actual episode
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bingbong wrote: »
    Whaaaattt :o
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True Detective is anthology TV with each series different and complete in itself.
    Series 1 was Southern Gothic.
    Series 2 is Californian Noir.

Anyone else thinking what Im thinking, that Frank Semyon's wife is the one betraying Frank? All that pillow talk gives her ample opportunity. I wouldnt trust her. She moves from appeasing to aggressive very easily when she doesnt get her way.
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Season 1.
    Gave up half way through Episode 2 this time.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    SXTony wrote: »
    Consider me clueless then :)

I had no idea what the story or set-up for this season would be. I did see that Farrel and Vaughn were cast but that's as far as it went. I didn't read any articles or watch any previews, partly because I didn't bother to seek them out and partly because I simply didn't want to know.

Same. Sometimes it's nice to actually.. wait to see a TV show rather than incessantly reading every tidbit available about it in advance, right?

As far as I was concerned, Colin Farrel and Vince Vaughn were the leads. I knew Rachel McAdam was also starring - I assumed as one of their wives. Though I am very pleasantly surprised with her lead role as she is pretty much stealing the show for me right now. Girl came a long way since Regina George!

In general I am liking this season. Not sure it's even comparable to Season 1 as they really are quite different. Probably best waiting until the finale has been aired to think about that fairly. Each episode is leaving me wanting more anyway which is always a good sign.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me, the characters are driving this season even more that the first....but that may be because I have no idea what's really going on :D
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people think we have to care about Stan? I'm not sure we have to. The key thing is that his eyes were removed which is very similar to Kasper in episode 1. It's all to do with the sex trade. Eyes removed, privates removed etc

Have to say I'm not getting the burn for this season. If people remember the first season was largely the same after the first 3 episodes. People weren't sure. Then we had that incredible 4th episode and people got into it.

My partner hated season 1 and stopped watching it but is enjoying this season. I can't tell you whether this season is better than the last because we are only 3 hours into it compared to the 8 hours invested into the first one. How about instead of comparing people enjoy it for what it is? Completely different from the first. It is an anthology series not a continuation.
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    henry_hope wrote: »
    True Detective is anthology TV with each series different and complete in itself.
    Series 1 was Southern Gothic.
    Series 2 is Californian Noir.

Anyone else thinking what Im thinking, that Frank Semyon's wife is the one betraying Frank? All that pillow talk gives her ample opportunity. I wouldnt trust her. She moves from appeasing to aggressive very easily when she doesnt get her way.

I can see where this will go:

Series 3 hardboiled in New York starring Neil Patrick Harris and Winona Ryder
    Series 4 down Mexico way starring Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson

Agree about the wife, the shot of her shaking hands with the Russian did suggest something going on.
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pizzolatto is contracted to do 3 series.
    New York has been done too many times before,dont you think?
    The plains of middle America might be worth investigating though....

Franks wife would consider anything to get a baby....even adultery?
    And thats an offence that can lead to bribery and further corruption.She would be compromised.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Oh no, oh no, no, no.

At least it does't have the metaphysical BS of season 1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that ending cranked it up a few notches. What have they got themselves into?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    At least it does't have the metaphysical BS of season 1.

Yeah that wasn't to my taste either and I'm glad it is left out or minimised in this series. The first series was better but it was still overrated.
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The writing is so sloppy. Some of the lines seem like they've been written by 15 year old students who think their real smart 'cause they once read a Kafka book or something.

"Those moments, they stare back at you. You don't remember them. They remember you." I mean what is this nonsense? Rachel McAdams deserves better than that drivel.

Gay Cop is utterly pointless. "I'm pregnant..." "I love you. I want to marry you." Just a robot repeating words. Poor acting, poor character, poor plot. If every scene he was in was deleted nobody would notice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's bad when you are cheering on Mexican goon #3 to fatally shoot the main characters. Unless there is some Usual Suspects like twist to redeem this it feels like a dud of a series.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gay Cop is utterly pointless. "I'm pregnant..." "I love you. I want to marry you." Just a robot repeating words. Poor acting, poor character, poor plot. If every scene he was in was deleted nobody would notice.
    I know Frank was against the idea of adopting, but what are the chances he ends up holding the baby. Paul's non-character girlfriend is disposable enough, and with him being in the closet and his self destructive tendencies he'll either run off with his boyfriend after a night of passion, or kill himself.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not sure if Paul is utterly pointless, but the pregnancy plot is utterly derivative. Once again a gay character is only deemed interesting if

1) he - and it is usually and often always a man - struggles to come to terms with his sexuality, and by that who he is. My point being it is not that people struggle with who they are sexually I find derivative (because many still do, be it gay, straight, bisexual, pansexual or asexual etc), but that this seems to be the only kind of story fit to be explored by writers for gay characters. That as well as the idea of a gay character being all about their sexuality and nothing else.

2) said gay male character struggling with his sexuality hooks up with a heterosexual woman, who then goes on to get pregnant. She is on the pill but as we know there is always the 1% chance that it fails. OK, but what about the man protecting himself from an unplanned pregnancy? Why is that part always missing from this kind of narrative story? Why do writers think there is only drama to be had for a gay man when he has to be part of a relationship with heterosexual woman? Surely it is been done to death.

3) the female character then becomes totally and completely underdeveloped and voiceless that most viewers end up not caring for her and her predicament. It's unlikely that her experience and feelings of being in a relationship with a gay man, becoming pregnant by him and falling in love with him is ever going to be explored, is it? And most often it is never ever explored in TV land.

The upshot is that there is now a danger and possiblity the whole of Paul's story is utterly subsumed by a sexual-complex narrative when there seems a lot more interesting things going on with him as an ex-soldier through which his sexual issues could also be explored w/o it being the sole means to make him complex, dark, mysterious and conflicted.

Ray: Looking at you, looking at your ex-wife and then looking at the man who raped your ex-wife, I'm thinking how the hell can that poor child be related to any of you with his red hair? OK, maybe red hair runs in one of your family lines, but still...

Everyone on the show: Please STOP MUMBLING!!! I can hardly make out what y'all saying. It's already hard enough trying to keep up and make sense of the convulated murder story and plot:(

@FrankieFixer: Yeah, the shootout was the only scene I rewatched again:D. And where the hell was Ani when the Mexican was holding a gun to the head of that bus passenger? Probably just saying, "F**k!" all the time as she hid behind a car no doubt. And how is it that the protesters were still hanging around long after 1) the bomb exploded, 2) the first of many shots were fired before the Mexican gang hit their protest, 3) the shots were still being fired as Ani chased after them as they attempted to make their getaway, and 4) still after many, many other shots were fired in and around them? Whatever they were protesting about, they were never going to get their way because they were obviously too f-ing stupid to RUN WHEN THEY HEARD GUNSHOTS FIRING AND A BOMB EXPLODING WITHIN EARSHOT! Bunch of dumbasses.:cool:

Stan mention#2: Frank, let me tell you somethin' about Stan: I don't flipping care, lol!!

ETA: For all that, I still find myself entertained by it all.:p
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    Bloodbath ahoy!! :D I think they transported a typical shootout from south of the border into California. This series is no classic but I'm enjoying it!
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    That shoot-out was really, really stupid.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad they've finally given Paul some decent screen time but I think next week's episode will allow us to understand where Paul's self-loathing comes from. We see his mother again so I think that will give us some information regarding how he was brought up etc.

It was interesting that both Ani and Ray were cut up about the shoot out but Paul didn't really look bothered!!

I still don't really know what's going on though, but I didn't last season either :eek:
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joooe wrote: »
    That shoot-out was really, really stupid.

Agreed. I get bored watching these type of long scenes, same with car chases. I find them so unrealistic. I doubt many forces would advocate engaging in such battles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul looks permanently confused, like he's trying to divide 232 by 13. If he could act as good as he looks he'd be fine but his character feels superfluous. I don't care that he is or isn't gay or has a kid coming, it takes the momentum away from the main story.