Options

Never The Twain on ITV3

ayrshire lassayrshire lass Posts: 4,054
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just love this old comedy from the 80's , obviously a bit dated now, but the facial expressions of Windsor Davies and Donald Sinden are so funny, I think anyway.
I was surprised to see that they are both still alive, yet they seemed like old men back when this was made. Am I the only one who enjoys this old comedy?:blush:

Comments

• Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member
    Definitely not. I caught one of the episodes of this last week, I missed the beginning but of it but I think both of them were plotting to get Honor Blackman's character up to Edinburgh for the weekend during the August festival. Naturally events unfolded leading to neither of them being successful. Great fun.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I seem to remember the first series being actually quite good, being more based around the Romeo & Juliet story of Smallbridge & Peel's kids. After that I think it went downhill rather quickly.

Still, it did feature Derek Deadman, and that's always a bonus.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pleasantly quaint & gentle, & thus now rather dated, comedy of faux-pas, misunderstandings, mild innuendo & family farce.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's basically a competition between Davies and Sinden to see who can chew the most scenery isn't it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen it but someone put it on a list of the worst sitcoms ever lol. This made me curious to see it so perhaps i should catch an episode and see if it really deserved to be on that list
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Just as this comes back on, Sir Donald Sinden dies at age 90, of cancer. R.I.P.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a shame , and I was just saying in an earlier post I was surprised to read that they were both still alive.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I've never seen it but someone put it on a list of the worst sitcoms ever lol. This made me curious to see it so perhaps i should catch an episode and see if it really deserved to be on that list

Well, it ran for 10 years over 11 series. The team of Sinden and Davies was a very funny one, I thought anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Well, it ran for 10 years over 11 series. The team of Sinden and Davies was a very funny one, I thought anyway.
    Yes, I agree, they are so funny together! It may be very dated, but a lot better than many of the so called comedies of today.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Famous people have been dropping like flies in the past couple of days

Along with Sinden we've had Richard Kiel (Jaws from two Bond films), Jon Bardon from Eastenders and Reverend Ian Paisley
  • Options
    RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just on a lecherous sideline, Oliver's daughter [ Julia Watson I think ] is very hot.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rosebuddy wrote: »
    Just on a lecherous sideline, Oliver's daughter [ Julia Watson I think ] is very hot.

I forgot she was in Never the Twain when I used to see her as Baz in Casualty.