When will Top Gear come to an end?

thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Don't get me wrong I don't want it to end. It's one of the only good shows left on TV and even at its worst it's still better than most programmes on the telly. I think its final series will end in 2012.

Comments

• neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get me wrong I don't want it to end. It's one of the only good shows left on TV and even at its worst it's still better than most programmes on the telly. I think its final series will end in 2012.

One can but hope it does end, its utter rubbish.
  • Manly BarrilowManly Barrilow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »

Then what does it matter to you if it goes on forever?

I never ever will understand people who think that because they don't like something, no one else should and that they should therefore stop it for everyone.

There are many programmes that I don't like: Guess what? I don't watch them! I also don't mind if they continue for the people who do like them as it doesn't affect me at all.

So please tell us all what your motivation is as I would be genuinely interested in finding out how the world works for posters like you?
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite liked it before I actually realised how contrived everything that happens on th show is. So have lost interest.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the ratings dip sufficiently low as to no longer justify the presenters' wages, but considering the show is still doing well both in the UK and abroad, I don't see that happening any time soon.
  • GraculusGraculus Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I never ever will understand people who think that because they don't like something, no one else should and that they should therefore stop it for everyone.

There are many programmes that I don't like: Guess what? I don't watch them! I also don't mind if they continue for the people who do like them as it doesn't affect me at all.

There are many programmes I really don't like and never watch. So far, so good. But the problem is for some programmes (not TG), particularly the (non-)reality genre (X-Factor, Striclty, Big Brother etc), is that they get everywhere and it's hard to avoid the inane chat about them. This is particularly so on breakfast radio programmes, where the only safe refuges seem to be Radio 3 or 4.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As has been written, it will probably end when people stop watching it. It still gets large audiences and large overseas sales so they would be crazy to drop it just because a few people don't like it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough i was thinking the same thing while watching the episode yesterday. They cant do this for much longer. I'm guessing the format will change before they end it. That or they will still go on but there will be less of it so people appreciate it more.
  • RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder what would happen if one of the presenters decided to leave? For me, TG is about the three guys they've got now. Would the 'magic' still be there if one left, and how would the quality of the show and therefore the ratings be affected?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rednell wrote: »
    Wonder what would happen if one of the presenters decided to leave? For me, TG is about the three guys they've got now. Would the 'magic' still be there if one left, and how would the quality of the show and therefore the ratings be affected?

I am sure they could survive one leaving though could get more difficult if two needed replacing.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Well, no-one forces you to watch it - you could so easily just ignore it and watch something else (whilst allowing those who do like it to continue to be able to see it)

There are many programmes that I don't like, so I simply ignore them and don't watch
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't help thinking about Last of the summer wine. That went on for decades relying on the same story most eposides but still brought in the viewers.

I think Clarkson will know when the game is up.
  • VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Graculus wrote: »
    There are many programmes I really don't like and never watch. So far, so good. But the problem is for some programmes (not TG), particularly the (non-)reality genre (X-Factor, Striclty, Big Brother etc), is that they get everywhere and it's hard to avoid the inane chat about them. This is particularly so on breakfast radio programmes, where the only safe refuges seem to be Radio 3 or 4.

In addition, it is perfectly right that many people are concerned with Top Gear and the disproportionate profile the BBC give it. It's a completely dumb show, aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Idiots do like their Stig bubble bath for Christmas though.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    RED_ wrote: »
    Funnily enough i was thinking the same thing while watching the episode yesterday. They cant do this for much longer. I'm guessing the format will change before they end it. That or they will still go on but there will be less of it so people appreciate it more.
    A series or two back the producer wrote in his blog about audience criticism of staleness and repetitiveness in the show and said there would be changes.

Personally I haven't seen any. Infact it's becoming more stale and repetitive in recent episodes with the challenges.
    We all know it's supposed to be a scripted factual entertainment show but it's morphed in to a sitcom.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    A series or two back the producer wrote in his blog about audience criticism of staleness and repetitiveness in the show and said there would be changes.

Personally I haven't seen any. Infact it's becoming more stale and repetitive in recent episodes with the challenges.
    We all know it's supposed to be a scripted factual entertainment show but it's morphed in to a sitcom.
    The Last Of The Summer Wine is a very apt analogy. That is what TG reminds me of only a few car are involved.
    LOTSW was funny for a few years or more but TG has become so stale and distinctly unfunny and pathetic and the three stooges in TG are like those in LOTSW, very sad to behold.
    I used to like Richard Hammond but since his accident and maybe as a result of it has lost the plot - a sad vision to witness.
  • J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still like the show but it used to be something i would look forward to and almost always watch when it is on, i was not that fussed on the last series like other posts state quite repetitive now and the specials which were on for Christmas are on my planner but i dont know when i will get round to watching them.

I think they may try adding a 4th member but to me this would be a bad move as the chemistry between the 3 still works its just they have done so many things coming up with new ideas must be very difficult.
  • lankyguy007lankyguy007 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    J-J wrote: »
    I think they may try adding a 4th member but to me this would be a bad move as the chemistry between the 3 still works its just they have done so many things coming up with new ideas must be very difficult.

I reckon they should get Sabina, that German woman who has been on quite a few times. She wouldn't have to be a presenter but she could do a few things on the show.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TG is one of the BBC's best selling shows around the world so there will always be a financial reason to make more.

However, as much as I like it I agree that it is due a shakeup. Nothing too radical, just a few changes to freshen it up.
    Forum Member
    I reckon they should get Sabina, that German woman who has been on quite a few times. She wouldn't have to be a presenter but she could do a few things on the show.
    I thought that a few years back. Especially when they got the TG stunt man.

I thought she was going to be in TG Germany but it doesn't look like they got past the UK v Germany challenge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when people stop watching it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they invent teleportation machines. :D
    Forum Member
    Even if it does stop being made it'll be on Dave for decades to come
  • LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we ago again

"It's all set up and scripted!!!!!"

WE EFFIN GET IT ALREADY
    Forum Member
    We just want better scripts
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Stil one of the best things on TV.

JC will know when to pull the plug and it is not yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the 2 specials over Xmas and thought I've seen it all before . Seemed very stale and contrived. There was one good joke in the Bethlehem episode (baby Stig) but I had to endure 78 minutes of boredom and fast forwarding to reach it.