Options

Caravans - WHY?????

13»

Comments

• Options
    belfastkidbelfastkid Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people get confused over caravans and camper vans tbh too often.

I like proper static caravans as they can be luxery inside and are just like a smaller home but beside the beach. Camper cans? Where you have to putch things on to the side of them to add extra room, where you have to drive them aroudn to the destination, were there is room for 1 bed and a small sofa?

No way.
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    belfastkid wrote: »
    I think people get confused over caravans and camper vans tbh too often.

I like proper static caravans as they can be luxery inside and are just like a smaller home but beside the beach. Camper cans? Where you have to putch things on to the side of them to add extra room, where you have to drive them aroudn to the destination, were there is room for 1 bed and a small sofa?

No way.

I think you're confusing Camper Vans with Touring Caravans
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Well so do I, but I can imagine a time when I still want a camping type holiday, but when I'm less able to cope physically with putting up a tent and sleeping on the ground, and a caravan or campervan would be the next best thing.

That's part of the point - if you do a fair bit of camping into middle age, you're likely to be the outdoors type who will probably cycle/walk/climb whatever - you're far more likely to stay fitter, longer.:D
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're confusing Camper Vans with Touring Caravans
    LOL.....the kid from Belfast is confused......period!!!
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jon8769 wrote: »
    Depends where you go and what type of holiday.

For instance, the thought of a static caravan somewhere in the UK sends shivers down my spine! Wouldn't want that kind of holiday personally.
    But some people would.

Each to their own!

This is a static. Show me a hotel room similar without it costing a fortune.;)
    http://www.willerby.com/vogue-connoisseur-2011-introduction1-uk-m77.php
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    That's part of the point - if you do a fair bit of camping into middle age, you're likely to be the outdoors type who will probably cycle/walk/climb whatever - you're far more likely to stay fitter, longer.:D

Well yes, but there still comes a time when it's just less practical or possible, but you still want a holiday. My father for example has always been very outdoorsy and energetic and active, but he had a stroke out of the blue, and just couldn't possibly camp now. He still needs a holiday though, and even though he could possibly manage to camp, it would mean my mother doing all the camp set up herself, on top of looking after him, which isn't really feasible as she's getting older too. But they still need a holiday, and they don't want to go to hotels in tourist places, so a caravans/camper vans are ideal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Well yes, but there still comes a time when it's just less practical or possible, but you still want a holiday. My father for example has always been very outdoorsy and energetic and active, but he had a stroke out of the blue, and just couldn't possibly camp now. He still needs a holiday though, and even though he could possibly manage to camp, it would mean my mother doing all the camp set up herself, on top of looking after him, which isn't really feasible as she's getting older too. But they still need a holiday, and they don't want to go to hotels in tourist places, so a caravans/camper vans are ideal.

Yep, fair point. Although must admit, I'd prefer to rent a cottage or summat, even slightly off season when it's cheaper, rather than go in a caravan.

My old dad despite having cancer for the last 7 years of his life, was very fit and active up to the end but he last went camping ca. 1973.:D I can't see him managing it, either, even though he was very active for someone his age and with his illness. He was a bit of a Terminator pensioners, too. My grandad had an old boat on the river, and he slept in that at night, and travelled round Ireland shark fishing for whole months at a time when he wasn't here. I spose I've only known really lively/eccentric pensioners!
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different holidays have appealed to us at different times of life - we started off with a small campervan, then had a tent for a few years, when I found getting up from the ground difficult we got a caravan, then tried a larger motor home. We now have a static caravan and have loved them all at the time.
    Would die a slow death in a hotel I think and not at all practical with multiple dogs. We did try hiring cottages but that is just horrendously expensive these days.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Yep, fair point. Although must admit, I'd prefer to rent a cottage or summat, even slightly off season when it's cheaper, rather than go in a caravan.

My old dad despite having cancer for the last 7 years of his life, was very fit and active up to the end but he last went camping ca. 1973.:D I can't see him managing it, either, even though he was very active for someone his age and with his illness. He was a bit of a Terminator pensioners, too. My grandad had an old boat on the river, and he slept in that at night, and travelled round Ireland shark fishing for whole months at a time when he wasn't here. I spose I've only known really lively/eccentric pensioners!

I do see what you're saying, but my dad would hate the idea of staying in a cottage for a holiday - they have always liked to travel around and see different places, and move on. He hasn't stopped being eccentric just because he's no longer super lively.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a caravan (although its currently turning green in the back garden).

Me and my hubby would go camping a lot when we first met, always with the whole family. It was a wonderful time and lots of fun was had.

But gradually everyone went from tents to caravans, and we bought a beautiful small caravan that was 2nd hand. It was relatively new, and the cooker had never been used.

We used to pay to site it permanently in a camp site and would go every weekend and for every holiday between about april to october. It really was a home from home. We had family photos in the 'van along with scented candles and a TV. We had the cooker, fridge, toilet and shower. It was perfect.

We then moved to the same area where the caravan was sited, so the 'van went into the back garden and hasnt been opening / touched for 6yrs. I really miss it. I havent been on any sort of holiday for those 6yrs.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caravans are often owned by people who have previously camped for years but now find that as get get older they can no longer cope with putting up a tent or "roughing it." But they still want to travel and explore and enjoy campsites.
    A couple of years ago we were camping near Dresden. A group of caravanners arrived - about 6 caravans. they were on their way back from a trip to Kiev. The previous year they had been to the Arctic circle and their next jaunt was to be across Morocco. They go for 6 weeks at a time.
    Brilliant! I hope I can do that in my 70s!
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Caravans are often owned by people who have previously camped for years but now find that as get get older they can no longer cope with putting up a tent or "roughing it." But they still want to travel and explore and enjoy campsites.
    A couple of years ago we were camping near Dresden. A group of caravanners arrived - about 6 caravans. they were on their way back from a trip to Kiev. The previous year they had been to the Arctic circle and their next jaunt was to be across Morocco. They go for 6 weeks at a time.
    Brilliant! I hope I can do that in my 70s!

I know an American couple who are both early 70s now who did this five years ago from Stranraer and they were carrying their tent and everything else. That's impressive!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    I know an American couple who are both early 70s now who did this five years ago from Stranraer and they were carrying their tent and everything else. That's impressive!

Bloody hell!
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Bloody hell!

He has a fake knee too :D

They live in Oregon and last year their son was getting married in Chicago so they cycled there :eek: They are proper old school hippies and really quite inspirational.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    He has a fake knee too :D

They live in Oregon and last year their son was getting married in Chicago so they cycled there :eek: They are proper old school hippies and really quite inspirational.

I love it when people act against stereotype like that. we met a couple of wealthy white americans from Georgia. We thought they were going to have KKK views. Not a bit of it. Solid Obama supporters, the wife teaching literacy to the black kids (so they can get on) and the man doing odd-jobs for the black single mums - he had owned an electrical company. Both in their 80s and minds like razors still.
  • Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    Caravaning is wonderful, I have fond childhood memories of going to caravan parks, making friends with other kids in caravans nearby, with mum and dad, and also, gran and granda.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caravan holidays... I wan't to erase them from my childhood memories.

Everybody hates you on the road, your slow and cumbersome, i never knew there were so many forms of hand gestures from other irate drivers, then you arrive at the camp site...

1. everybody looks at what year of manufacturer your caravan is.
    2. everybody looks at model and year of manufacturer of the car/4x4 you tow with.
    3. everybody scores your parking ability and how many maneuvers it takes to get parked.
    4. everybody times you, to see how long it takes to get the awning up.
    5. some annoying tosser will pop up out of the blue just to have a look inside your caravan
  • Options
    crossbonescrossbones Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    I just don't get the thinking behind owning a caravan, to my way of thinking you either -
    a) Go camping in a tent
    b)Stay in a hotel, b&b, hostel etc or
    c)Rough it in a shop doorway for a few nights

you forgot

d) are a gypsy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crossbones wrote: »
    you forgot

d) are a gypsy

Which reminds me, re. 'real' caravans (gypsy vardos). This is the time of Appleby Fair (just past apparently) and in the lanes round here, you get proper, old fashioned vardos, on their way up to Appleby. Not seen any this year - unusually - but a week or two back there was a gypsy with a proper pony and gig, going up the main street into York. Apparently, a couple of years back, one of the horses got out of the rig-up and ran amok through Fulford.:D

They are beautiful things to see, and I don't care how long I get stuck behind one of them. My mum used to tell me about the gypsy (and tinker) labourers they'd employ on the farms round here at harvest and some of the 'real' gypsies would park up their vardos in our fields.

I hate being stuck on the A64 behind some idiot with a modern caravan, but an old fashioned gypsy one is a sight to behold.