Options

Is anyone else shocked with the racism on Facebook this evening?

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just unfriended two people and am seriously considering deleting another after the comments that have appeared on my feed this evening. I know emotions are running high but comments like all "They should all **** off and worship Allah in their own ****ing country" and "We need to kick this shit out of Britain" are not helpful. What's even more disturbing is that these comments are coming from the last people you'd expect them from, people I thought were quite intelligent and open minded. I was expecting it, but not from them.

Lots of people are showing themselves up to be racist, ignorant bigots tonight.

Comments

• Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just unfriended two people and am seriously considering deleting another after the comments that have appeared on my feed this evening. I know emotions are running high but comments like all "They should all **** off and worship Allah in their own ****ing country" and "We need to kick this shit out of Britain" are not helpful. What's even more disturbing is that these comments are coming from the last people you'd expect them from, people I thought were quite intelligent and open minded. I was expecting it, but not from them.

Surprised? No.

Dispirited? Yes.
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised? no

There are a lot of anti-migrant people out there, you just won't see them en masse on PC liberal forums like this one.
  • Options
    JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

we are on the verge of some sort of race war if you look at whats on facebook/youtube.

most terrorists are muslims, but most muslims are not terrorists.

dont get me wrong though, i despise religion, particularly islam.
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just wonder what kind of reaction you expected? The reality is that this has been on the way for a very long time and we could just be seeing the tip of the iceberg now. My daughter is heading to London tomorrow morning and I am biting my tongue to stop me from pleading with her to stay safe at home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    justatech wrote: »
    I just wonder what kind of reaction you expected? The reality is that this has been on the way for a very long time and we could just be seeing the tip of the iceberg now. My daughter is heading to London tomorrow morning and I am biting my tongue to stop me from pleading with her to stay safe at home.

Yes because she might get beheaded as well :rolleyes:

Honestly, get a grip.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    What's even more disturbing is that these comments are coming from the last people you'd expect them from
    I fully expected it from them.
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know people are people and not one homogenous mass, but if anybody should be able to empathise with minorities it's a lesbian friend of mine. Not so, however, as she is a stand up member of the EDL, and is spitting venom tonight for sure. She's never shy with her views, and tonight is no exception. :D
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Surprised? no

There are a lot of anti-migrant people out there, you just won't see them en masse on PC liberal forums like this one.

There's folk on here who aren't either of them things
    Throw a metaphorical stick on facebook and there's always bigots about
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can totally understand the re-actions from most people. I don't agree with them at all but I can understand that many people will be upset by this and therefore immediately take their anger out on Islam.

It really is foolish to paint all Muslims with the same brush.
  • Options
    gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any worse that saying israel should be wiped off the face of the earth???
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I have people like this on FB too and find their comments very distasteful. These are mainly people i knew from school who i haven't spoken to in years. I'm not bothered enough to unfriend them though as i still want the opportunity to nose at their lives. :)
  • Options
    DomJollyDomJolly Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    justatech wrote: »

Relax jesus

You have to be having a laugh, lived in London all my life, still alive. :D

I'd be more scared to walk the streets Manchester or Birmingham at night than London.
  • Options
    Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more disturbed with the implied or unintended attacks on free speech.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not shocked, when Bin Laden was killed someone on mine said 'all the sikhs in Glasgow will be quiet tonight'. :confused: I'm glad I'm not on it any more, it just made me raging every day!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gamez-fan wrote: »

who said that?

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    gamez-fan wrote: »

Has anyone here said that?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not really. Perhaps many people have their limits with regards to liberal apologism. One wonders how this situation would be tolerated in other countries, such as those who do not even permit religious buildings of a different religion to their own.

IMO its inevitable that sooner or later even we in this country will decide enough is enough.
  • Options
    Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm up to 12 people defriended now for rants along the lines of 'fuk deez dirty letterboxedz lid, fukin el lid, fukin cuntrys a fukin joke lid, letin all deez soapdodgin cuntz inlid, n fukin bommin us all lid, up da edl lid, fukin only 1z standin up 4 dis fukin cuntry lid'

'Iz rite lid'

I've been temped to take screenshots of certain posts and send them to the bizzies. I think some of Da Lidz would get a bit of a shock if they got their collar felt for inciting violence.
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can totally understand the re-actions from most people. I don't agree with them at all but I can understand that many people will be upset by this and therefore immediately take their anger out on Islam.

It really is foolish to paint all Muslims with the same brush.

It is, but at the same time we cannot think that Muslims in the UK.. in particular young Muslims do not have a severe problem in their communities in regards to militant fundamentalism, especially when compared to other migrant religions
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twitter has been better in some ways because people with big voices are trying to bring some perspective and calm.

For example, Fraser Nelson (editor of the Spectator) tweeted this blog:

"Flood of Muslim denunciation for the #Woolwich attacks" - http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/05/not-in-the-name-of-islam-british-muslims-denounce-the-woolwich-attack/

Others commentators are doing the same (from the left & right). Even Ukip leader Nigel Farage called for calm.

I do think it's somewhat unfair that Muslims should feel they have to speak out against these extremists in the first place though. They don't represent them.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member

what you mean you didnt know those were your friends views before tonight?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many of these people who are wanting them all sent back home eat Indian takeaways or at Indian Restaurants that are usually staffed by Bangladeshis, who are nearly always Muslims?;)
  • Options
    richthe4thrichthe4th Posts: 335
    Forum Member

What is wrong is you assume that when people say "They" that they are talking about Muslim's in general when most of the time people they say "they" talking about the kind of Muslim's who commit acts of terror, try to push their religion on others, try to impose they laws and ideologies.

And yes don't you think we need to "Kick this shout of Britiain". What you automatically in your head would of thought when I said that sentence was "Oh racism, he's saying he wants to kick all the Muslim shit out of Britain, he's a racist"....when actually I am saying we need to kick this shit of Muslim's who preach hate against our country, our soldiers, our laws and our beliefs.

It is YOU who are being the one really causing all the drama and bunching people together as you are not reading in context what the people are saying and you yourself are assuming they are talking about a group of people in general. It is people like you who make people so scared to talk about religion, immigration and terrorism because people like you will take what they have said and immediately looked at it in a way in which you perceive it to be racist.

To put it like this....it is like walking past a group of teenagers spitting, graffitting and swearing in the street and you say "They are disgusting, they need to be sorted out and taught how to act properly in this country. Just because you are talking about that group does not mean you are saying "All teenagers are disgusting etc....."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep tarring all Muslims with the same brush and they will eventually snap
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately successive governments have all utterly failed to grasp how people feel about mass immigration. It's not an issue that is going to disappear. Quite the opposite in fact.