Options

What have you ever recorded of the TV to VHS

Comments

• Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    I have over 2000 stacked from floor to ceiling in my spare room and bedroom. I bought my first blank video tape in 1978, when a three hour tape cost £15.95 and I still have it, Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, with some Kenny Everett shows to fill it up, at that price you always made sure to fill the tape up to the end. I have every favourite film noir from the 40's and '50's, and most of the films of my favourite stars of that era. There were also some great series in those days, like Barry Norman's Hollywood Greats. Every week he spotlighted a late film legend including, Bogart, Crawford, Gable, Garland, Cooper and Monroe.

I am very thankful that I hung on to all of those tapes because I have so many rare programmes and films that have never been repeated. I have made a nice little earner for myself transferring the tapes to disc for collectors who had given up hope of ever seeing some of these rare programmes again. Something that I have learned over the years is don't throw anything out that you might discover will be valuable in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    I still have pretty much every episode of 'The Golden Girls' on VHS. Used to tape it as it was originally broadcast around 9pm (I think) on C4 on Fridays and I always used to be in the pub by then! :D God knows why I've still got them as I bought the whole lot again in DVD box sets during a trip to the States a few years back.

I thought that I was the only one who taped all of The Golden Girls series. I had seen it when I was visiting Indiana in 1984, and so I was all ready to record it when it was first shown here later that year, and I have the whole series on 25 tapes I often watch them on Sky when I am having my breakfast, but I have noticed that they have cut some of them, so I am glad that I have kept the originals. I did plan to transfer the whole lot to disc, but just never got around to it.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that I was the only one who taped all of The Golden Girls series. I had seen it when I was visiting Indiana in 1984, and so I was all ready to record it when it was first shown here later that year, and I have the whole series on 25 tapes I often watch them on Sky when I am having my breakfast, but I have noticed that they have cut some of them, so I am glad that I have kept the originals. I did plan to transfer the whole lot to disc, but just never got around to it.

They have. I hate the edited versions currently being shown on TLC. Half the time the funniest lines have been cut! >:(
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Im just wondering what people have recorded of the TV to VHS years ago

I remember recording lots of Hill Street Blues, any performance I could find with Level 42 or Mark King in (I remember particularly an episode of 'Driving Force' with Mark King in it - I've just checked and somebody has uploaded this episode to Youtube!), the film The Culpepper Cattle Company (which I subsequently copied to DVD and still have) and lots of others. These are the only things I can remember though.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When BBC2 were showing Buffy (many MANY years ago) I religiously recorded every ep toVHS. Had the whole series. Then a frying oil leak that went unnoticed for a week or so destroyed the lot - darn it. Also recorded a bunch of BBC1 Doctors when Andrea Green was in it - they escaped the FOL incident. :)
    btw: got a year+a bit of Ian Collin's talksport late night radio show on Cassette - recorded it using 4 cassette-radios (45mins x4) and 4plug-in timer thingies. Have always intended to mp3 them but never got round to it - and would most likely find them all blank cos I either messed up the recording or they've simply degraded over the past ~12years.
    Bugs me still now I (1) didn't just listen to him and record the Joe Holland show after him >:( and (2) of the ~3 shows I didn't record 1 was the one with Dr Martin Fido - my true crime writer hero. >:(>:(
  • Options
    Dan_CbbcDan_Cbbc Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have any soap omnibus's of EastEnders, Neighbours, The Bill, Dallas, Knots Landing from UK Gold, Home and Away, Brookside from UK Living and Corrie and Emmerdale from G Plus, that they no long want as I've been searching for the Omnibus editions for sometime now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    They have. I hate the edited versions currently being shown on TLC. Half the time the funniest lines have been cut! >:(

Yes, I couldn't believe it this week when they cut out the scene where Dorothy gets banned from the Elvis fan club by the girls for being less than reverent. It didn't make any sense later when she actually commented about being banned.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of things in the 90's. I often left the tape in only to find out that someone else has recorded over what i recorded and was half way through watching it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tons of stuff. Probably over 2000 tapes over the years. Anything that gets a official release ill buy and ditch my recording but there is a ton of stuff that probably never will be reshown.

From stuff like tiswas to going live to kenny everett to neighbours to wrestling to misc kids shows and other stuff. Even have a recording from the broadcasted castrovalva somewhere and yes I have the official dvd but some show i still keep.

There are a few programmes on my list I still need to get hold of .
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I taped Dallas and Dynasty religiously, 4 episodes to an E180 tape
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh I did record The A team religiously and kept them until someone accidentally recorded over the minutest part of one episode, so spoiling the set, I gave up then didn't seem right not to have the full series intact.
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mainly The Wonder Years all those years ago and movies that used to be on late. Sadly nearly all of the tapes are long gone like most people.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Mainly Star Trek and Doctor Who, as well as dozens of films.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cbe21ok wrote: »
    Mainly The Wonder Years all those years ago and movies that used to be on late. Sadly nearly all of the tapes are long gone like most people.

Tapes to this day they are in great quality.
  • Options
    fanstar77fanstar77 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    I saw my first video recorder at my uncles house who had bought it specially for the Live Aid concert. My mum got our first one from Radio Rentals back in the day. It was a Ferguson.

I have got about 40 videos of stuff I recorded in my house mainly Hitman and Her shows.

I have a video/DVD/HDD combi recorder that I occasionally use to transfer them over to dvd when I have the time.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have every episode of Juliet Bravo on tape ;)
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    me and my brother used to set the video to record the Young Doctors (70's Aussie soap) and watch it when we got in from school
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many people here still have their tapes.
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a huge collection of VHS, all transferred over to DVD now, mainly comedy and soap, plus wrestling and football
  • Options
    GRCGRC Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    I recorded lots of early - mid 90's Neighbours, CITV shows like Wail Of The Banshee, Spatz and Ghost Train.

Slightly OT but what is the cheapest way to digitalise your VHS collection?

Pair up a VHS player with a DVD or BR recorder, or

Get a VHS/HDD or VHS/DVD combination unit
  • Options
    GRCGRC Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    I wonder how many people here still have their tapes.

One here.

I started in 1984, with Gary Moore's band on BBC Sight & Sound, and my 200-odd tapes are filled with music progs from then till about Y2000 or so.

I occasionally taped sitcoms such as Becker, Frasier, Spin City etc. but they've long since been either purchased on, or transferred to DVD. Kept a very few documentaries in the same way

Transferring them to DVD on an ongoing basis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GRC wrote: »
    One here.

I started in 1984, with Gary Moore's band on BBC Sight & Sound, and my 200-odd tapes are filled with music progs from then till about Y2000 or so.

I occasionally taped sitcoms such as Becker, Frasier, Spin City etc. but they've long since been either purchased on, or transferred to DVD. Kept a very few documentaries in the same way

Transferring them to DVD on an ongoing basis.

It took me a mamoth 3 years to get everything on DVD from VHS.

One was the funds to purchase all the official dvd releases but once I sorted all that out I was still left with thousands of tapes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's finding someone who has what you're looking for that is the toughest thing

I pm'd you Davey
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have over 2000 stacked from floor to ceiling in my spare room and bedroom. I bought my first blank video tape in 1978, when a three hour tape cost £15.95 and I still have it, Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, with some Kenny Everett shows to fill it up, at that price you always made sure to fill the tape up to the end. I have every favourite film noir from the 40's and '50's, and most of the films of my favourite stars of that era. There were also some great series in those days, like Barry Norman's Hollywood Greats. Every week he spotlighted a late film legend including, Bogart, Crawford, Gable, Garland, Cooper and Monroe.

I am very thankful that I hung on to all of those tapes because I have so many rare programmes and films that have never been repeated. I have made a nice little earner for myself transferring the tapes to disc for collectors who had given up hope of ever seeing some of these rare programmes again. Something that I have learned over the years is don't throw anything out that you might discover will be valuable in the future.

You would save yourself so much space if you transferred everything to dvd. The only downside is one scrated and your screwed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta back them up to a external hard drive too, two copies on disc also.