Options

Channel 4 plans ‘TFI Friday’ return for 2015

NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
Forum Member
✭✭
Chris Evans announced on his radio show this morning that Channel 4 have plans to revive ‘TFI Friday’ next year.
He also confirmed that he has been approached to be involved, although he didn’t say whether that would be in the role of host or in a behind the scenes role.
It was also unclear whether it would be a one off special to mark the programmes 20th anniversary or a new series.

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No thankyou.

Further evidence of the creative bankruptcy at C4.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only things I remember from that show was the theme music which was also the theme to 60s drama Man In A Suitcase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxbmoNOZzWc

and the Lord of Love ie old actor Ronald Fraser reciting romantic poetry to female members of the audience
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    They used Ocean Colour Scene's Riverboat Song as the guest walked along the balcony if I remember correctly
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    The only things I remember from that show was the theme music which was also the theme to 60s drama Man In A Suitcase

and the Lord of Love ie old actor Ronald Fraser reciting romantic poetry to female members of the audience
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    They used Ocean Colour Scene's Riverboat Song as the guest walked along the balcony if I remember correctly

Both correct.

Some of the memories I have are ‘Freak or Unique’, ‘Fat Lookalikes’, ‘Black Man or White Man’ (not sure you’d get away with that game anymore!), the U2 Massive Heads, and of course ‘Wiiiiiiiiillll!’
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure it would work now as it was quite of it's time.

It was a great show in the 90's though and the essential programme to watch whilst getting ready to go out on a Friday night!

I worked as a steward at the Cheltenham Gold Cup in 1997 and met both Chris Evans and Will. Evans was pretty much off his face at the time and dressed like Sherlock Holmes in a deerstalker!
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Who can forget the Kylie and Geri kiss ! I'd rather forget Chris's nudity though.
  • Options
    lloys-strachanlloys-strachan Posts: 1,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it won't be coming from Riverside studios this time as there getting ready for redevelopment.
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just thinking about this programme and was looking at the ugly bloke segment and to be honest it was just sycophantic, dated, shit. I hope if it is the case that "TFI Friday" will be back, it will be a complete update. Now if "Don't Forget Your Toothbrush" was brought back, that would be good to see but then it is a lot like "Saturday night Take away" I suppose.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty good for one series, then tripe.

I agree about 'Don't Forget....' being a better bet. I'm still amazed that the format hasn't been revived.

Saturday Night Takeaway? Nothing! Can they generate this kind of crowd excitement?
  • Options
    johnanjohnan Posts: 3,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like it to work, but it probably won't as nothing these days is innovative, it has all been done before, so why bother.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Pretty good for one series, then tripe.

I agree about 'Don't Forget....' being a better bet. I'm still amazed that the format hasn't been revived.

Saturday Night Takeaway? Nothing! Can they generate this kind of crowd excitement?

Used to watch the French spin off (I studied French GCSE at the time, so understood, er........some of it!) N'oubliez pas votre brosse à dents when it was on TV5 on Cable.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I loved it at the time...but I was a 15-year-old Britpop kid. I'm not sure it would be quite the same.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't OFI Sunday an attempt to try and bring the format back? Though that ended up being an awful flop- hardly suprising as it just seemed to Chris stroking his ego and having a laugh with his mates with the rest of us having no idea what's going on.
  • Options
    Fat BuddhaFat Buddha Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got fed up of Chris Evans fawning over guests like that Louise Wener from Sleeper and Natalie Imbruglia who were on every other week. All the ridiculous segments that were just there because Evans was completely surrounded by sycophantic eejits continually milking his spunk trumpet, who hadn't got the cojones to tell him it was a bad idea.

I do however enjoy him on Radio 2 in the mornings.

Now for me if they resurrected The Tube, that would be the Dog's Danglies !

Or even the OGWT
  • Options
    LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love this when I was a child, but it's one of those things that should probably stay in the '90s because it worked for that time.
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree that they should bring back the tube. I loved it. It was repeated a while back now.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Who can forget the Kylie and Geri kiss ! I'd rather forget Chris's nudity though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezOMO9FObCY
    for your pleasure :)
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was surprised when looking on Wikipedia that the show only ran for 4 years.
    At the time it seemed to be on for the whole of the 90's.

I don't think trying to update it for todays audience would work really.
    It was too indebted to the indie/britpop, lad culture and cool britannia scene of the time.
  • Options
    Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally of its time in the worst way imo.

ie. Not every show of that ilk has to be, but that one certainly was, and it would totally sink if the same show were brought back now.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Wasn't OFI Sunday an attempt to try and bring the format back? Though that ended up being an awful flop- hardly suprising as it just seemed to Chris stroking his ego and having a laugh with his mates with the rest of us having no idea what's going on.

One of the most abysmal shows ever broadcast. Hard to believe it ever made it to air.
  • Options
    spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to like the interviews - as Chris would often ask the questions we were all thinking and wanting to ask ourselves..which you rarely get on The One Show etc etc. The "pub" atmosphere also seemed to give it something different plus the "live" aspect..even though of course it had to be pre-recorded "as live" cos of swear words near the end.
    If they kept some of the above in this supposed re-make then I feel it would be a good idea. Obviously today is a different picture when celebs have social media etc.
    The music bits weren't that different in some ways to "the tube" when you think about it. Of course the music scene is very different now but maybe it could work? Is the pub culture the same now? Maybe the bar would be shut down and be a coffee shop lol
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

Naked parade. Just the kind of stuff we need a return to, with members of the production team being coerced to strip naked on prime time television and walk past the camera and audience. :blush:

No thanks, this was a show of its time. It's not the 90's anymore. It was a bit self indulgent at the time anyway.

Channel 4 has long ceased to be innovative in any sense whatsoever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I'd love to see this back and become a success, but I do worry that it'll fall on its face, only because producers seem to assume it'll work because it worked in the past. Sky probably thought Gladiators would be an instant hit because it was so popular in the 90s, but it was terrible.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had Danny Baker written all over it

I like Danny Baker.

I do recall the most cringe worthy interview with Michael Aspel. Years later in an interview Mr Evans cited it as as the worst interview he had ever done and said that Mr Aspel had been great before the show but just before the show began became convinced it was a "stitch up" (?!)
  • Options
    SideshowMarkSideshowMark Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Thought it was a great show, certainly was part of the zeitgeist when it was on. Unfortunately in the last year or so, Channel 4 interfered too much taking away much of the spontaneity.