Distant Shores - is it returning?

Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondered if anyone knew whether Distant Shores will be coming back for a second series? I heard a while ago that it was, but haven't heard anything since.

It's been a while now since the last series ended - with the guy that was having an affair with Peter Davison's wife being killed if I recall, which was quite sad.

I thought it was a really good show.

Comments

• dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a 2nd series ready to go in fact it has been shown aborad already, just a case when ITV are ready to show it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was filmed about July/August 2005, I know as my uncle, who is a delivery driver, delivered some stuff (gas bottles) to the studio in Alnwick, Northumberland around that time and a set of a old railway truck was being assembled and decorated outside!
  • Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really?! I wonder why ITV hasn't shown it yet then...they seem to be doing this a lot with shows now, filming them often years before they are actually shown. A recent example being Jane Hall.

It's ridiculous that it has been shown abroad, before even been shown here! Any ideas when ITV will show it, and what will happen in the second series? Will there be a third?
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the first series but can't believe its almost 2 years since it was on TV. Why on earth are ITV messing round and not showing series 2. It would be better than some of the other stuff they stick on!
  • mcjakemcjake Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    It was a really good show. It was comedy and drama mixed and it really worked. I remember it was on Thursday nights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard that apparently ITV is going to show the series, but that no air-date has been confirmed yet.

I really hope it's soon, as it was really good!
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember from previous threads on similar issues that one reason for ITV delaying on showing a programme is to do with their accountancy practices, apparently a programme is charged against the tax year in which it is broadcast rather than the year in which it was produced so it can be to their financial advantage to delay it from being shown. (Something like that anway - I'm no accountant :) )

I wonder what sort of contracts they have with the stars though - what do you do if you show series 2, it's a massive hit, but everyone has moved on to other things?
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With Jane Hall, one problem was that ITV changed its mind after filming it and thought it would better suit an ITV 2 audience. They would have aired it soon after filming but the cast/writer held out insisting it deserved an ITV 1 slot.

I would guess that the long delay on Distant Shores has to mean they are not eager to contract a series 3.

ITV are in a mess when even their banker (David Jason) commands a worse audience than shows like Jane Hall and Lillies - both of which were axed in the past year. (Diamond Geezer ended last night with just a 16% share and less than half the BBC 1 audience of nearly 8 million in that slot)

Partly this was caused by their poor decision to schedule against the hugely popular New Tricks. So ITV schedulers are not on good form right now.
  • Silver RiverSilver River Posts: 1,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they screen it soon, I loved the first series. :)
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Distant Shores is shown soon, I really enjoyed the first series.

I think I heard that one of the reasons ITV didn't show Jane Hall earlier was because of the July 2005 London bus bombings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Peter Davison and Samantha Bond were really good in it. I remember it was quite sad at the end, as the guy she was having an affair with, was killed. They then left the island but decided to come back.

They should repeat Series 1 again aswell on ITV3 or something.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Izak wrote:
    I hope Distant Shores is shown soon, I really enjoyed the first series.

I think I heard that one of the reasons ITV didn't show Jane Hall earlier was because of the July 2005 London bus bombings.

All I can tell you is that my brother was involved in the show (in fact he 'sort of' appears in a couple of episodes)

He told me what the producers told him about the reasons for delay.

It was originally titled 'Jane Hall's Big Bad Bus Ride' but ITV cut the bus reference for fear it would put folk off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam14 wrote:
    I think Peter Davison and Samantha Bond were really good in it. I remember it was quite sad at the end, as the guy she was having an affair with, was killed. They then left the island but decided to come back.

They should repeat Series 1 again aswell on ITV3 or something.

After all this time they'll need to do some sort of précis of the first series, I agree with you Adam, repeating the whole thing would be a good idea. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read in todays paper that Distant Shores has been shelved, so there are currently no plans to screen the second series at all. Seems silly to film it and not show it, doesn't it? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will ITV ever show the second series of this show?

I just remembered about it, with the interview on here with Peter Davison. Even if they just showed it on ITV2, now that it has been years since it was made.
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 1 is being released in the UK on DVD in September 2014. Maybe the 2nd series will also be released in the future on DVD allowing people in the UK to finally see it!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Distant-Shores-DVD-Peter-Davison/dp/B00KX8G2RO/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1407070963&sr=1-1&keywords=distant+shores
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭