And in a whirlwind, Big Brother is over

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think tonight has been a rather unsettling one for BB fans, the type of which makes me question why I watch this show. I learnt a number of things from it though:

Firstly, that for producers of this show what comes first are ratings rather than people. There am I, wannabe psychologist and psychic, predicting before even Makosi left that Nadia being evicted would be most damaging to her. The plug should have been pulled on the interview, or preferably that Nadia should never have returned in the first place. I was always concerned when she declared winning as 'acceptance.' Nadia has a skewed version of popularity, most probably caused by an early lifetime of rejection and ignorance from people. I do hope that she can recover. :(

Secondly, I think the reason why BB gets such a bad name is that the vast majority of people who watch it are morons with zero emotional intelligence. Sorry, but that is exemplified by the crowd tonight. A crowd baying for blood, completely oblivious to their actions, taking pictures as they booed, revelling in the show: the spectacle of self-destruction appeals to lots of people.

Thirdly, and previously I felt she got a rough time on here, I have come to realize that Davina has a lot to answer for. She can stir up ill feelings and create tension out of nothing, exaggerate elements and then backtrack. Her tweets and continual condemnation of Nadia were music to the ears of the Twitter tweens. And then she begs for quiet and understanding.

I just think people can be so very cruel. Nadia was silly, she understood that, but tonight we saw a fragile human being churned up and exposed. A bloody human being. BB is a soap opera for many, but for many of its housemates the experience does not end when the confetti falls. What a shame we only really truly realized this when the curtain is about to tumble down. Let us hope that it will shield some of the unsavoury elements of this show.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if it all sounds pretensious drivel. Just how I feel.
  • Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    Agree. Just made me despair :(

Show feels flat without these two great characters and the whole BB has turned into a nasty hate filled warzone controlled by JJJ loving chavs. :(
  • guvner2009guvner2009 Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Agree
  • CHARMER1CHARMER1 Posts: 9,026
    Forum Member
    Davina has turned into a crowd pleaser, she wouldnt do that, she did tonight and destroyed BB in one go....along with Nadia.
    DISGRACE.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BB only has itself to blame regarding the crowd, they should have addressed the booing issue years ago and nipped it in the bud. Booing will not be tolerated and all that jazz... tonight was just the product of their arrogance and ignorance imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    I was enjoying the show tonight until the evictions. Then I just felt flat. :(
  • 027huds027huds Posts: 12,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely agree. UBB was shaping up to be one of my favourite series of all time until the terrible hostile atmosphere of tonight. Was very uncomfortable viewing.
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    revolver44 wrote: »
    BB only has itself to blame regarding the crowd, they should have addressed the booing issue years ago and nipped it in the bud. Booing will not be tolerated and all that jazz... tonight was just the product of their arrogance and ignorance imo.

Yep, totally. And you know that they'll just whimper behind the "it's only pantomime" excuse as usual, which it clearly ceased to be after racist chants were heard at Makosi's first eviction. I dread to think what any foreigners watching would think. ;)
  • mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CHARMER1 wrote: »
    Davina has turned into a crowd pleaser, she wouldnt do that, she did tonight and destroyed BB in one go....along with Nadia.
    DISGRACE.

The whole thing has become similar to a bear baiting show.
    It has denigrated to such a degree this year with the pathetic power struggles and nasty tactics that it no longer has the appeal it once had. They have killed the whole thing. I am not a Nadia fan but I admired and respected the way she handled herself this evening. Well done Nadia bb has a lot to answer for especially Davina.;)
  • 29bus29bus Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happened to pej's idea that he wanted the final series to focus on 'fun' !!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,927
    Forum Member
    Agree to the letter with the OP. And this place has been getting pretty nasty too, we're hardly immune to it. Maybe something as simple as the vote to evict lies at the heart of it. Big Brother is last decade, time to go.
  • teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
    Forum Member
    I totally agree OP. I just can't wait until the show is over now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    revolver44 wrote: »

It started during BB7 with 'GET GRACE OUT' and reached its disgraceful low point with tonights treatment of Nadia.

People on here should remember that hardly anyone raised objections to the way Grace was set up by the producers. Tonights embarrassing spectacle was the culmination of allowing a crowd, of a couple of hundred people, several years of being the 'voice of the nation'. It is television at its absolute worst.
  • sangrealsangreal Posts: 20,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good post and I largely agree with your assessment.
    Vivadiva wrote: »
    Firstly, that for producers of this show what comes first are ratings rather than people.

Money more than ratings

Nadia dared to badmouth their current cash-cow (JJJ)
    It was always going to be downhill for her from there.
  • Toffee GuyToffee Guy Posts: 2,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hostile atmosphere was all a bit pointless, to be honest.

Makosi talked a lot of nonsense, but she wasn't a bad person. We've seen a hell of a lot worse over the years. I think people booed her just for the sake of booing. The religious stuff that she said was a bit dodgy, but again, not really massively offence.

Nadia made the mistake of criticising someone very popular. I know Josie isn't liked by many on here, but it is undeniable that most of the BB-watching audience likes her.

With Nadia, some of the boos were Makosi-esque panto villain boos, but also, Nadia got the rare 'fallen-hero' boos. She didn't really deserve it, but I think a lot of people didn't appreciate her tantrums. This is what I've said many times - the people who watched in 2004 aren't necessarily all going to be the same people watching again in 2010. The teenies in 2010 probably didn't get her character portrayed out of context, without the journey of her being the transsexual gaining confidence within the house and facing prejudices. To the teenies nowadays, she was just a screaming annoying housemate who said blunt, inappropriate things, and who had a weird past.
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if it all sounds pretensious drivel. Just how I feel.
    That sums it up for me.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree. Just made me despair :(

Show feels flat without these two great characters and the whole BB has turned into a nasty hate filled warzone controlled by JJJ loving chavs. :(

That's how I feel about it now aswell. It's like we proper BB fans (most of whom have been watching since Day 1) have no control over who we want to stay anymore, now that it all the tweenies making all the decisions and shouting down anybody who doesn't like their favourite.

I'm so relieved that it's ending and if it does go to Ch.5 next year I don't think I will watch it. 10 years is more than enough of our lives to give to one show when all we get back is negativity and to be made idiots of of on the franchise's own spin-off shows etc.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    One of the worst pieces of television I've seen in a long, long time. I feel quite ashamed for even watching this show.

What an apt note for Big Brother to end on though, as it had been heading this way for such a long time.
  • Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    That's how I feel about it now aswell. It's like we proper BB fans (most of whom have been watching since Day 1) have no control over who we want to stay anymore, now that it all the tweenies making all the decisions and shouting down anybody who doesn't like their favourite.

I'm so relieved that it's ending and if it does go to Ch.5 next year I don't think I will watch it. 10 years is more than enough of our lives to give to one show when all we get back is negativity and to be made idiots of of on the franchise's own spin-off shows etc.

Yep :(

The JJJ tweenies have no idea of the history of the show and don't appreciate entertaining HMs and the true BB lovers suffer for it.
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes you feel like 'The Running Man' is the producer's real 'Ultimate' goal in life as a tv show.

The producers & Davina (who is so ridiculously over paid that she sees no sense) would happily head in that direction.
  • od hominemod hominem Posts: 8,593
    Forum Member
    I think tonight has been a rather unsettling one for BB fans, the type of which makes me question why I watch this show. I learnt a number of things from it though:

Firstly, that for producers of this show what comes first are ratings rather than people. There am I, wannabe psychologist and psychic, predicting before even Makosi left that Nadia being evicted would be most damaging to her. The plug should have been pulled on the interview, or preferably that Nadia should never have returned in the first place. I was always concerned when she declared winning as 'acceptance.' Nadia has a skewed version of popularity, most probably caused by an early lifetime of rejection and ignorance from people. I do hope that she can recover. :(

Secondly, I think the reason why BB gets such a bad name is that the vast majority of people who watch it are morons with zero emotional intelligence. Sorry, but that is exemplified by the crowd tonight. A crowd baying for blood, completely oblivious to their actions, taking pictures as they booed, revelling in the show: the spectacle of self-destruction appeals to lots of people.

Thirdly, and previously I felt she got a rough time on here, I have come to realize that Davina has a lot to answer for. She can stir up ill feelings and create tension out of nothing, exaggerate elements and then backtrack. Her tweets and continual condemnation of Nadia were music to the ears of the Twitter tweens. And then she begs for quiet and understanding.

I just think people can be so very cruel. Nadia was silly, she understood that, but tonight we saw a fragile human being churned up and exposed. A bloody human being. BB is a soap opera for many, but for many of its housemates the experience does not end when the confetti falls. What a shame we only really truly realized this when the curtain is about to tumble down. Let us hope that it will shield some of the unsavoury elements of this show.

I wish I could disagree with this, but I can't. I've watched BB since the very beginning, and I've long lamented it's metamorphosis into a festival of idiocy. I'm a purist, and I miss the days when watching BB was more of a subtle pleasure. Before the imbeciles took over, with their moronic appetite for third-rate cabaret. The clarion call now appears to be ''Entertain me you worthless f**kers, and if you so much as glance at someone the wrong way, I'm gonna boo the **** outta ya!!''
    Sadly, the apple has fallen a long way from the tree.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,538
    Forum Member
    its just panto, and the double standards on this forum tire me.... :yawn:
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xtglx wrote: »
    its just panto, and the double standards on this forum tire me.... :yawn:
    It isn't just panto. If they could have, they would have chucked rotten tomatoes at them. That would've been entertaining.
  • Lou17Lou17 Posts: 30,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A brilliant post :)

The tweens that watch now dont take into account this is the womans life, it doesnt end after tonight. That ill feeling will carry on, but Its Nadia so it all seems acceptable as she was nasty. If you ask me the comments about her on here and the way the audience was towrads her was more nasty then anything shes actually done in that house!