Anyone else feel sorry for Miss Kizlet at the end?

summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
Forum Member
Celia Imrie's character...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we're meant to.

But I also think it has extra meaning to people (myself included) who have relatives with Alzheimer's. Heartbreaking, though probably not intentionally.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, i thought it was very sad.:(

It was an effective twist dramatically as well, in the sense that it changes your perception of the events of the episode quite significantly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waking up with no memories of one's past fifty to fifty five years on the planet is a very cruel ending: at least Annette Badland's character got the full reset in Series 1 ...
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    Yes. Maybe there's room for sympathy for Dr. Simeon too. After all he was just a child when he was first contacted by the Great Intelligence.
  • Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    it was a very chilling ending i must say... fate worse than death indeed - Celia Imrie was just fantastic last night
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit, I did find that scene quite chilling and at odds with the otherwise frantic episode.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    Yes. Maybe there's room for sympathy for Dr. Simeon too. After all he was just a child when he was first contacted by the Great Intelligence.

I agree. It's interesting when the villains are themselves victims on one level.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    Was there something about the young Simeon or Kizlet that led to them being selected, or were they random choices?

It's less clear, I think, in the case of Simeon as to whether he actually is the GI. The Snowmen merely reflected back what was in the mind of the "victim" and so it could be contact with the force behind them that gave Simeon the ability to exist in non corporeal form. Was he already a maladjusted child, without human compassion, before the Snowmen entity contacted him?
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I think what also makes it worse is she knew what would happen to her when she pressed the reset button
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    Was there something about the young Simeon or Kizlet that led to them being selected, or were they random choices?

It's less clear, I think, in the case of Simeon as to whether he actually is the GI. The Snowmen merely reflected back what was in the mind of the "victim" and so it could be contact with the force behind them that gave Simeon the ability to exist in non corporeal form. Was he already a maladjusted child, without human compassion, before the Snowmen entity contacted him?

I think Simeon did seem a rather odd child when we first saw him. Perhaps the same was true of Miss Kizlet, but we don't really know anything of the circumstances under which the Great Intelligence "took her over".
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found that scene really emotional, I felt so bad for her.

She didn't deserve such an ending, I can't imagine she'll go off to a normal happy life. She's essentially a child in an adult's body, with most of her life missing. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anything it paints a very personal and dark edge to the great intelligence...in that it messes with everyones lives somewhat for the worse most definitely...first Simeon in The Snowmen and now Kizlet in Bells.....its a ruthless foe and i cannot wait to see the fruition of this....truly stellar.....and it was an electric performance all round (as epr) from the cast...but Celia is just top!

Cannot wait to see where this leads across series 7B and all...how much has the Intelligence tisted everything?
  • dhdefenderdhdefender Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Suppose the GI could do that to the Doctor? Chilling.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The whole Great Intelligence origin story is quite tragic - with Simeon being a bullied child whose emotions were warped and amplified by the psychic snow, until his anger and hatred became an entity unto itself, which went on to warp and manipulate other children into evil...