Options

EastEnders reveals production team changes

Comments

• Options
    noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very glad to hear of the changes. The EastEnders news mill has been churning out a lot lately - I have a feeling they're trying to show everyone that things are gonna get better in Albert Square - and I for one am very excited!
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would get rid of Fridays episodes. Show cheap filler instead.
  • Options
    GoingtothebeachGoingtothebeach Posts: 19,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daran Little's Hollyoaks scripts have been very poor. I hope his work is better at EastEnders because he is usually a very good writer.

Myra's exit had one of the worst scripts I can remember a "big" episode having in a long time.
  • Options
    dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    sw2963 wrote: »
    I would get rid of Fridays episodes. Show cheap filler instead.

getting rid of friday would be a ridiculous descion if they where to cut episodes Thursday or Tuesday would most likely go
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Well this can only be good news.

Shakeup was in order. And it doesn't look like rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Good. A shake up was massively needed and consulting the writing team on the stories their writing will hopefully improve their script work. Back to three, or better, two, episodes next please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    getting rid of friday would be a ridiculous descion if they where to cut episodes Thursday or Tuesday would most likely go

Why would it? It didn't air Fridays till 2001, it was the last night to be added, and it was then onwards that it started to go down hill. Tuesday and Thursday were it's original days.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon Ashdown was a corrosive influence on the show in recent years. It became 'The Branning Show' leading people to tune out.

Marvelous episode writer but it is right he has gone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it was 2 eras ago

Diederick's era was great for story conclusion, but it sucked for story pacing and the day to day episodes were dire.
  • Options
    bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don’t think cutting an episode will ever happen.

The show is relatively cheap to produce and I seem to remember reading somewhere that the difference in man power to produce 4 episodes is pretty much the same as 3. So whilst it might improve quality, it doesn’t make financial sense.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    Darran Little is coming back to wtite for "EasteEnders" he confirmed on twitter. But I agree with most posts the main thing is that the writing team and production team is excellent. The actors can only do so much. The writing and stories are actually more important that arrivals or departures. The show can only survive on good storytelling which has been devoid of for about three years unfortunately. When DTC left he took his stories with him.
  • Options
    Bomani channingBomani channing Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diederick's era was great for story conclusion, but it sucked for story pacing and the day to day episodes were dire.
    it was a small price to pay I prefer that set up to good/passable day to day, sucky pacing and no story let alone conclusion.Newman's era basically, at least with santer we had something to look forward to
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it was a small price to pay I prefer that set up to good/passable day to day, sucky pacing and no story let alone conclusion.Newman's era basically, at least with santer we had something to look forward to

Every era was better than Newman's, doesn't make them any good. Louise Berridge's era was better than Newmans, and until her, that had been the worst.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don’t think cutting an episode will ever happen.

The show is relatively cheap to produce and I seem to remember reading somewhere that the difference in man power to produce 4 episodes is pretty much the same as 3. So whilst it might improve quality, it doesn’t make financial sense.

It doesn't cost them any more either.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good shake up. It's a shame Simon Ashdown can't stck around as part of the core writers group (which I think is a very good idea) Sarah Phelps would be perfect, we know Darren Little is back (his scripts always impressed me) .

But Ashdown is a good writer, whilst I feel he needed to move on it's a shame he can't stay as a writer.

This might just be the kick up the arse we need. Alison Davis is in another league to the rubbish we have had in that post for the last three years. But the most exciting news is the fact that writers will have a say in storylines and every one will be working together.

This is much more significant news than Danny Dyer, these changes will effect the show for years to come.

Exciting times ahead I think.

Ken
  • Options
    bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't cost them any more either.

It does – they have to commission another 30 mins of original programming a week.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am very happy that Dominic is making some backroom changes amongst the writing team.

The writing has been the main problem in EastEnders for the past two years.

DTC is going to whip this show into touch and I am glad that he is not afraid of making changes.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally, this is the kind of news I've been wanting to hear! I'm feeling very positive about EastEnders again for the first time in three years. Changes behind the scenes was exactly what was needed. Hopefully this will be a team who will come up with creative and exciting storylines for its characters.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Am delighted to hear this. The writing team needed a good kick up the backside
  • Options
    QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, is Ashdown DEFINITELY stepping down from writing?
    I know he's stepping down as Series Consultant but...
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    I already had hopes for DTC but with Alison Davis in the mix too, this is maybe the best chance the show has now.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QueenAmy wrote: »
    Wait, is Ashdown DEFINITELY stepping down from writing?
    I know he's stepping down as Series Consultant but...

It's my guess that he will remain on the writing team, or at least write a few episode's a year.

He has been involved in other BBC projects before but remained with the show.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old are the writers on EE? DTC is 36 I know that...
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    It's my guess that he will remain on the writing team, or at least write a few episode's a year.

I hope this is the case because he is a great writer. But the system does need to change.

Ken
  • Options
    blue_angelblue_angel Posts: 3,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »

I hope so. I really like Simon Ashdown episodes, and you can never have too many good writers. He's been writing for the show for so long now.

That being said, all the other changes in the article seem really positive. There definitely seems to be a vibrancy and energy being injected into the show, so keeping my fingers crossed that it will all pay off on screen.