Poundland

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
Forum Member
do you shop there ? i'm always in it,love the shop, but my god today the queue was miles long:o

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Not often as it's in the town centre and I don't venture in there.

If I am passing I might stop in to see if they have Space Raiders, Wheat Crunchies and Pork Scratchings.
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't shop there, but I do pop in quite regularly to pick up various bits of stuff I need like cans of air. The only problem is I always end up buying other things too, things that I don't really need but that awoke my inner magpie.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go in all the pound shops if I need certain things but they're not automatically cheaper than supermarkets just because they're a quid - still pays to shop around.
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very occasionally I'll pop in for something, but as far as many products are concerned, the amount you actually get for your pound is getting smaller year-on-year. And with other items, the quality (or lack thereof) means that I would rather pay one or two quid more in Argos or Wilkinson - if it means the bloody thing won't fall apart within a couple of minutes.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife does. She managed to spend nearly £90 in there a couple of weeks back. :o
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went in my local one once. I found it a strangely scary experience and I've never gone back.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    My wife does. She managed to spend nearly £90 in there a couple of weeks back. :o

£90 in Poundland :o never in a million years lol...
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lol. What did she buy?
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have one close, but there are a few in town and I usually pop in if I'm passing by.

Last year I picked up some really inexpensive bits to fill a few gift bags for my daughter's birthday party. I don't care much for most of their kitchen items, they seem very shoddy (yeah, I know they're only a pound, but still :D ), but it's okay for toiletries and snacks/drinks.

Pound-stretcher is a bit of a different format (ie not everything is a pound) and I've bought some nice stuff from there, feather pillows and bedding specifically.
  • Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    I don't shop there, but I do pop in quite regularly to pick up various bits of stuff I need like cans of air. The only problem is I always end up buying other things too, things that I don't really need but that awoke my inner magpie.

You don't shop there but you shop there?:confused:
    I go in all the pound shops if I need certain things but they're not automatically cheaper than supermarkets just because they're a quid - still pays to shop around.

What kind of things are cheaper at a supermarket?

Why are you lying?
    Wuthering wrote: »
    I went in my local one once. I found it a strangely scary experience and I've never gone back.

Why do you find it scary?

I love poundshop.
  • marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    90 items @ £1 each - I guess. :D

I once bought a plastic freezer container but the top didn't fit properly. Not been back since.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's true, it's good to know your prices/sizes. I've seen brand-name shampoo on offer for a pound but the bottle's quite small, like Pantene shampoo for example.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Lol. What did she buy?

It was mostly a load of stuff for my daughters party.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll pop in and have a look, but things are often better value in the Home Bargains or B&M stores nearby or even the supermarkets.

I think a lot of the pound shops don't have some of the decent stuff they had a few years ago, as if it's harder to source now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marianna01 wrote: »
    90 items @ £1 each - I guess. :D

I once bought a plastic freezer container but the top didn't fit properly. Not been back since.

I buy those a lot and it's never happened to me, but if top don't fit just arap elastic band around it, and you get get a bag of elastic bands in poundland.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum gies to Poundland &'Poundstretcher every week.

She buys mostly from Poundstretcher, Toilet Rolls, 32 rolls for £5 I think it is, but they have so much glue on them, starting a roll means you waste half of it.

Puppy training pads for our dogs, you name it she buys it
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are you lying?

Why on earth would he be lying about how much his wife spent in Poundland? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum gies to Poundland &'Poundstretcher every week.

She buys mostly from Poundstretcher, Toilet Rolls, 32 rolls for £5 I think it is, but they have so much glue on them, starting a roll means you waste half of it.

Puppy training pads for our dogs, you name it she buys it

It takes skills, you need to be patient.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I quite like it for snacks and shampoo,body gel etc.
    I've noticed my local shop has blocked off the quick way/aisle (to the tills) so you now have to walk round the aisles/shop to get to the tills. I see what you're doing there Poundland.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Why on earth would he be lying about how much his wife spent in Poundland? :confused:

Exactly, why
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Exactly, why

Perhaps they went in and fancied buying 90 assorted items at a pound a time?

I don't see why anyone would lie about a big shop in Poundland :)
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum has justbpointed outbyou can get a packet of Sugar in Poundstretcher for 49p, and the samevsize pack is a £1 in poundland
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poundland are selling 4 pack mars bars @ 36.5 grams for £1, but 3 loose 51 gram ones for the same price.

36.5 grams is not a proper size chocolate bar, and also there is less chocolate overall in the 4 pack ones than there are in the 3 loose ones which seems rather strange as normally the mars confectionery stuff it's the same size of bar whether they are loose or in a multipack.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course I go ... where else would I get my Blue Stratos Shaving Foam? :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heh, is it stocked next to the Insignia deodorant, Jimmy?