Alternatives to Top Up TV?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
Forum Member
I originally tacked this onto the end of another thread, but would like the advice of as many people as possible

Soooooo...
Since my Thomson 6300 has now finally died (it was a bit like Trigger's broom), and given that we originally got Topup TV Anytime for the American Football and Motorsport, can anyone give me any advice for the way to go now?

Can't decide whether to get another box (does it still have to be a Thomson?), or change to a different provider.
I'm not sure if we can use BT Vision as we don't have fast broadband here, as we are in a village no-one lives in and no-one visits.

All opinions welcome :)

Comments

• duffman25duffman25 Posts: 964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    your options would be sky tv or top up tv and if top up tv get the 3 sports channels you will get what you want if they close that will leave sky as your only option.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    It is worth sticking your phone no into the checker on the BT TV page, just to see what you could get.

Nothing to lose by checking?
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats your internet line speed, windyone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    It is worth sticking your phone no into the checker on the BT TV page, just to see what you could get.

Nothing to lose by checking?

Yep, as I feared; we can't get BT TV here :(
    Forum Member
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    Whats your internet line speed, windyone?

Just under 2 meg, apparently.
  • MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch video and films on a Three dongle but i get just around
    1.5 MB speed if I am lucky..

So to watch video I just buffer a lot on my laptop.. not ideal but at least I can watch them... My Laptop has a HDMI out socket and Mobility Radeon HD 4250 graphics (bottom end by todays standards)

I cannot get BT or TalkTalk TV, even though I am near a city centre, they blame the exchange... My speeds are to low.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    I'd suggest looking at vanilla Freeview or Youview, BT VIsion (especially if you want sport) and TalkTalk TV if you want a sort of Freeview+ service.

Going wider, you could consider two non subscription offerings, Freesat and Freesat Freetime (= their Youview), or the two giants of UK pay-TV, i.e. Sky and Virgin Media. Have a look at the available channels, local availability and the costs, of course.

The combination of TV and IPTV is certainly producing quite a variety of choice these days in addition to the traditional digital TV services.
    Forum Member
    MeMeMeI wrote: »
    I watch video and films on a Three dongle but i get just around
    1.5 MB speed if I am lucky..

So to watch video I just buffer a lot on my laptop.. not ideal but at least I can watch them... My Laptop has a HDMI out socket and Mobility Radeon HD 4250 graphics (bottom end by todays standards)

I cannot get BT or TalkTalk TV, even though I am near a city centre, they blame the exchange... My speeds are to low.

That would be OK if himself could work a laptop, but I can't face having to do it all for him as well as all the other stuff, so I think I'll have to stick with Top-Up TV for now, and see what happens.
    Maybe one day they'll upgrade our line speed...it's difficult to run a business out here in the back of beyond :(
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    windyone wrote: »
    That would be OK if himself could work a laptop, but I can't face having to do it all for him as well as all the other stuff, so I think I'll have to stick with Top-Up TV for now, and see what happens.

Ha ha ha! Your funny. And knowledgeable too. :D

4Mbps is the minimum required for BT Internet TV. 5Mbps for TalkTalk TV. Sorry you can't get them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe one day they'll upgrade our line speed...it's difficult to run a business out here in the back of beyond :(

Whats up with him? I am 50 and I manage, don't baby sit him so much maybe?:rolleyes::)
    Forum Member
    MeMeMeI wrote: »
    Whats up with him? I am 50 and I manage, don't baby sit him so much maybe?:rolleyes::)

I'm not..I bought him a smartphone!
    I'm 55, he's 62...I was a network installer, he was a mechanic...he doesn't want to work a computer; I don't want to fix cars :)
    I buy the stuff, and set it up, then I leave him to it...sit here with my laptop, and keep an eye on things. I've been swapping out the HDDs on the bloody Thomson...I think we've had 3 so far in the last 6 years, last one blew a slo-blo fuse and made him jump, but I fixed that too.
    I'll collect another one off ebay, and carry on.
    Might get a dish and a Freesat receiver, but unless I go up the ladder and start drilling, we'll never get around to fixing it up, so I'd rather have a DTT based system.
    Forum Member
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    Ha ha ha! Your funny. And knowledgeable too. :D

4Mbps is the minimum required for BT Internet TV. 5Mbps for TalkTalk TV. Sorry you can't get them.

Yep...it has been said. Sadly, I'm funnier than I am knowledgeable ;)

Also, I'd guess that I'm sorrier than you that I can't get internet TV :D
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    I'm not..I bought him a smartphone!
    I'm 55, he's 62...I was a network installer, he was a mechanic...he doesn't want to work a computer; I don't want to fix cars :)
    I buy the stuff, and set it up, then I leave him to it...sit here with my laptop, and keep an eye on things. I've been swapping out the HDDs on the bloody Thomson...I think we've had 3 so far in the last 6 years, last one blew a slo-blo fuse and made him jump, but I fixed that too.
    I'll collect another one off ebay, and carry on.
    Might get a dish and a Freesat receiver, but unless I go up the ladder and start drilling, we'll never get around to fixing it up, so I'd rather have a DTT based system.

Depending upon what precise set up you go for, you could get Freesat for a one-off cost of £200 or so from an installer so no need to do it yourself.

Here are the channels http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-you-get/our-channels/ and here's how to get them: http://www.freesat.co.uk/how-to/get-freesat/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This following site is good for looking up who provide internet near you, if any does. Although they do not list Mobile internet providers like Three.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_availability

You might already know the site but hope it helps..