Films with sequels but you only like the original

Comments

• RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Can't believe that people can think Aliens & Terminator 2 are better than the original films.

Yes, but quality recognition and enjoyment are two different things, and the thread is about preferences rather than the actual quality of the films. As far as I can see no one has yet said "X is better than Y". Pretty much everyone has said "I like/prefer X over Y"'.

I recognise Alien is superior in several ways to Aliens, but I still enjoy watching Aliens more.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    ...but I still enjoy watching Aliens more.

This. There'd be no Aliens without the original, and Scott's film is great for a haunted-house-in-space-horror, but the sequel is a different beast and I just enjoy re-watching it more. Ditto for others I mentioned. So 'Better' as in more enjoyable preference. But YMMV.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    I forgot True Grit (1969). I didn't care for Rooster Cogburn (1975) at all.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pirates of the Caribbean - they should have stopped after the first one before all the jokes and Johnny Depp's over-the-top acting got old.

I don't mind the original Taken, but the sequel is awful.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Fright Night Part 2. Its main problem is that it doesn't quite follow on properly from the first.

Hellraiser 2 was decent, if a little confusing.

Jaws and Jurassic park have had the most disappointing follow ups.
  • FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    I love ace ventura 1 and have watched it so many times over the last few years but recently i bought the 2nd film.
    Although i saw it years ago i didn't realise how childish and stupid it is compared to the first film, i watched about 20 minutes and turned it off

You know there's a third film too right? I recommend you stay well away from it!!!
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Escape from New York
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Transformers.
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Highlander.

Don't think any other film I have ever seen had so poor a sequel.
  • johnblahblahjohnblahblah Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Battle Royale
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe that people can think Aliens & Terminator 2 are better than the original films.

One of the finest motion pictures ever made.
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weekend at Bernies. Great movie, pointless sequel.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought of another one.......

'The Poseidon Adventure', which I really like (as does Father Ted!). 'Beyond The Poseidon Adventure' is just naff.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    This. There'd be no Aliens without the original, and Scott's film is great for a haunted-house-in-space-horror, but the sequel is a different beast and I just enjoy re-watching it more. Ditto for others I mentioned. So 'Better' as in more enjoyable preference. But YMMV.

Yes, although it's technically a sequel, Aliens is a vastly different film to Alien. Both good in their different ways but I only own one of them on DVD (Aliens).
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Underworld Evolution
    The Neverending Story
    Resident Evil
    Silent Hill
    28 Days Later
    Planet of the Apes
    Cocoon
    The Crow
    Final Destination
    Friday the 13th
    Honey, I shrunk the Baby
    Hellraiser
    Stuart Little
    Jurassic Park
    The Mask
    Speed
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The French Connection (did not like the sequel.)
    Chinatown
    In the Heat of The Night. (did not like The Call Me Mr Tibbs, that was on Sky Movies last night.)
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Barbra wrote: »
    I like practically all the originals better than their sequels with the exception of the following:

Aliens
    Terminator 2
    The Mummy Returns

Agree about Aliens. I think The Terminator has a leaner, tighter script than its admittedly excellent sequel. I do remember coming out of the cinema giddy after seeing it, but the original is a better film overall.
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Babe - Pig in the City.

Saw it on TV other day, thought it was overall quite an odd film, very strange tone throughout and very different from the first one. I had to google it afterwards to check that it was not a Terry Gilliam film.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pitch Black
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Jurassic Park
    Ace Ventura
    Transformers
    Absolutely love The Mummy and The Mummy Returns but the 3rd one was just abysmal, especially the fact they made it without Rachel Weisz
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Highlander.

Don't think any other film I have ever seen had so poor a sequel.

Yeah, should have seen my face leaving the cinema.
  • ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Each to their own I suppose.

Personally I think Alien is MUCH better than Aliens.
    It's just got far more suspense in it while Aliens is just a load of people running about with guns effing and blinding. I've never understood why Aliens is so popular.
    For me I would say

Alien
    Halloween
    Psycho
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    I agree. Each to their own I suppose.

Personally I think Alien is MUCH better than Aliens.
    It's just got far more suspense in it while Aliens is just a load of people running about with guns effing and blinding. I've never understood why Aliens is so popular.
    For me I would say

Alien
    Halloween
    Psycho

It could be largely due to a good performance by Sigourney Weaver, refreshing to see a female action hero rather than yelling and wailing, tagging onto the back of the male lead. Same goes for Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbra wrote: »
    It could be largely due to a good performance by Sigourney Weaver, refreshing to see a female action hero rather than yelling and wailing, tagging onto the back of the male lead. Same goes for Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2.

More likely both are good action films, without the need for any thinking.