Options

Tosh and Tina - do we care?

TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone have the energy for another domestic violence storyline? The Carters are just coming across as totally Bleak House at the moment.

Also, I presume they are trying to paint Tina as 'the victim' but for me it just isn't doing it for me like other DV storylines have in the past. I mean, Tina slapped Tosh first the other day, so are they not just as bad as each other really?

Comments

• Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have the energy for another domestic violence storyline? The Carters are just coming across as totally Bleak House at the moment.

Also, I presume they are trying to paint Tina as 'the victim' but for me it just isn't doing it for me like other DV storylines have in the past. I mean, Tina slapped Tosh first the other day, so are they not just as bad as each other really?

I care. Tina slapped her, which was well deserved, then Tosh punched her for no reason but angriness.

Tina isn't the victim. DTC is obviously trying to paint Tosh the victim by making her say that sickening line, "you shouldn't have got me so angry", making Tina feel it was her fault.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would have loved it as a mutually toxic relationship which is what I initially thought it was going to be when Tosh said 'you don't know what she gives out' as I think that would've been interesting and new to explore. A bit controversial maybe, but different.

As wrong as it is though, I don't care enough about Tina to understand how she can't leave Tosh as she doesn't seem to have any real attachment to her. They've made it so cookie-cutter as a storyline so idk if I even buy that it is doing any good for raising awareness.

The only thing I can see is that so many people on the square know it's happening and seem to be 'meh' on it that perhaps that's the point - that people think because it's woman on woman violence that it's nbd, which makes me think there's going to be an escalation at one point to prove how serious it is.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a strange one. I think I prefer to delve into Tosh's story.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I couldn't care less about these two. I think it was their attitudes towards having a baby that did it for me. Both selfish, unpleasant people that shouldn't be let near a goldfish, let alone a child.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    I care. Tina slapped her, which was well deserved, then Tosh punched her for no reason but angriness.

Tina isn't the victim. DTC is obviously trying to paint Tosh the victim by making her say that sickening line, "you shouldn't have got me so angry", making Tina feel it was her fault.

I don't see it that way. The 'shouldn't get me angry line' was absoluitely designed to make Tina appear trapped and under the thumb by a volatile partner. Hence why I think Tina is being made to look like the victim, especially when Tosh starts on her about her family, Zsa Zsa and accusing her of being glad that she wasn't pregnant.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    The way they are writing Tosh deflecting the blame onto Tina and then Tina apologising is an interesting angle imo. Does Tosh genuinely believe that Tina is at fault or is she trying to justify her actions? I just hope they aren't lazy with the writing for Tosh's backstory and think of something inventive and not predictable.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I don't see it that way. The 'shouldn't get me angry line' was absoluitely designed to make Tina appear trapped and under the thumb by a volatile partner. Hence why I think Tina is being made to look like the victim, especially when Tosh starts on her about her family, Zsa Zsa and accusing her of being glad that she wasn't pregnant.

Agreed. This is exactly how I took that line too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would have loved it as a mutually toxic relationship which is what I initially thought it was going to be when Tosh said 'you don't know what she gives out' as I think that would've been interesting and new to explore. A bit controversial maybe, but different.

As wrong as it is though, I don't care enough about Tina to understand how she can't leave Tosh as she doesn't seem to have any real attachment to her. They've made it so cookie-cutter as a storyline so idk if I even buy that it is doing any good for raising awareness.

The only thing I can see is that so many people on the square know it's happening and seem to be 'meh' on it that perhaps that's the point - that people think because it's woman on woman violence that it's nbd, which makes me think there's going to be an escalation at one point to prove how serious it is.

I thought it was going that way too, especially when Tina slapped Tosh the other night, but then she was quickly silenced by a punch so I thought maybe not.

I agree with you that the characters who know seem relatively unconcerned, much less so than if Tosh was a man - could perhaps highlight people's casual attitude to same-sex domestic violence.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member

I got Tosh and Tina the wrong way round. I was meant to say that Tosh wasn't the victim and Tina was :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    The way they are writing Tosh deflecting the blame onto Tina and then Tina apologising is an interesting angle imo. Does Tosh genuinely believe that Tina is at fault or is she trying to justify her actions? I just hope they aren't lazy with the writing for Tosh's backstory and think of something inventive and not predictable.
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    Agreed. This is exactly how I took that line too.

Glad you agree. It's clear Tosh is trying to justify her actions to herself, by weakly blaming Tina for getting her mad. Seems like a classic trait of an abuser - Tina can't 'get her angry', yet she has free licence to say and do whatever she likes, of course. I am too afraid the writers will just go down the conventional route with this storyline but claim it is 'innovative' because it's a gay couple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got Tosh and Tina the wrong way round. I was meant to say that Tosh wasn't the victim and Tina was :blush:

Too many Ts :D I think you did get it right, we just disagree. I don't see either as a victim, but I feel Tina is being painted as the victim by the writers.
  • Options
    PacinoFanPacinoFan Posts: 3,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They thoroughly deserve each other
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, isn't that line straight out of the Domestic Abuse Excuse Book.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    It's a strange one. I think I prefer to delve into Tosh's story.

It would be more interesting, I admit. Tina is a pretty boring character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PacinoFan wrote: »
    They thoroughly deserve each other

Agreed - even though Tosh is shown as 'more' violent, they are both abusers.
  • Options
    wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member

I disagree, Tina is still the victim, what they are trying to portray is the manipulation that an abuser uses to get around their victims.

I am interested to see how realistically they play this out once Tosh's parents come into play. I just hope they aren't stereotypical jobless, alcoholic/druggies who slapped their daughter about a bit or the parents that always had punch-ups in front of their kids.
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    I think Tina striking first was silly. Makes them out to be as bad as each other.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Its a story of a relationship thats damaging to both people in it but Im afraid I dont care as much as I should.Somethings lacking that makes it difficult for me to fully enage with these characters.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    I think Tina striking first was silly. Makes them out to be as bad as each other.

But perhaps thats the truthful reality?That both are as bad as each other?
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    But perhaps thats the truthful reality?That both are as bad as each other?

Hmm maybe,
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a fresh angle to do domestic violence with a same sex couple, but the characters haven't been written up until now in a way that would make us actually care, for the reason that they're involved in it.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I care and I want to learn why tosh is like she is so I'm glad judy is coming in to provide abit of background on that and hopefully her father in future. About Tina slapping tosh first... Do you really expect for her to stand their and take all the verbal abuse?... It's a perfectly normal reaction. Not everyone has the courage and the strength to just walk out. Tina should of said something like "snap out of it" but she was also quite angry and hurt about tosh saying she should basically ditch her family altogether and be with her 24/7
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think for me it's just one female victimisation story too far in EE. I agree that I find it difficult to care.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I care about Tina
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I care loads about Tina. She is lovely

She shouldn't of slapped Tosh but tosh has been hitting Tina for ages. When we first met tina, it was referenced a lot that Tina's ex (later to be revealed as tosh) had been hitting her. Plus she pushed her face into a door or wall a few months ago. Plus Tosh didn't just punch Tosh on a spur of the moment. Tina slapped her. Tosh looked at her with a look that could kill and quite easily thought about what she was going to do next.