Who should win sports personality 2014? POLL

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
Forum Member
✭✭
Vote here

Who you'd like to win, not who you think will win!

Who should win spoty 2014? 158 votes

Rory Mcilroy
23% 37 votes
Lewis Hamilton
45% 72 votes
Jo Pavey
13% 22 votes
Lizzie Yarnold
7% 12 votes
Carl Froch
0% 1 vote
Charlotte Dujardin
1% 3 votes
Kelly Gallagher
2% 4 votes
Adam Peaty
0% 0 votes
Gareth Bale
1% 3 votes
Max Whitlock
2% 4 votes

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poll not showing up for me :(

Anyone else?

Oh, it is now
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    I've only heard of half of them. Tbh, I gave up watching this boring show over 10 years ago. I'd already stopped watching back in the 80s, because of their pathetic coverage of cycling. Unbelievable now, considering the recent wins by Hoy, Cavendish and Wiggins.
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While making a horse dance is quire difficult, dressage isn't really a sport is it?
    (OK I'm slightly trolling, but I do beleive that)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like Hammy to win, if only to annoy all the people that slate him for living in Monaco

He's only there for a couple of months of the year, so why does it matter where he lives?

All the top drivers have flats there, and have done for years
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Tax avoidance ^ That's why he lives in Monaco.
    Monaco levies no income tax on individuals whereas if he was in the UK he would HAVE to pay 40% minimum!
    When you are earning a few million a year that is a huge incentive :roll eyes:
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    Charlotte Dujardin is the only worthy winner imo.
  • StockingsStockings Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Seeing that Hamilton and McIlroy are in that list, I take it that the personality bit is optional these days?
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Never watch it but I voted for Whitlock just because he's the most attractive (and I wouldn't have voted for Hamilton anyway after that ludicrous article in the Guardian).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never watch it but I voted for Whitlock just because he's the most attractive (and I wouldn't have voted for Hamilton anyway after that ludicrous article in the Guardian).

What was that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stockings wrote: »
    Seeing that Hamilton and McIlroy are in that list, I take it that the personality bit is optional these days?

Qi hooter goes off
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewis for me.
  • 00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McIlroy for me. Hamilton has had a brilliant year but McIlroy has won 2 of the 4 majors, a world golf title, the biggest event on the European tour outside of the majors and been part of the winning Ryder Cup team. It should be him.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like Hammy to win, if only to annoy all the people that slate him for living in Monaco

He's only there for a couple of months of the year, so why does it matter where he lives?

All the top drivers have flats there, and have done for years

Indeed. This argument just goes round and round. Curious how nobody mentions where all the other drivers choose to reside. Lewis is always the 'poster boy' for this discussion.

Lewis SPOTY this year for me; I also voted for him in 2007 and 08.

It'll probably be McIlroy, though, but I'm not into golf.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony-w wrote: »
    Monaco levies no income tax on individuals whereas if he was in the UK he would HAVE to pay 40% minimum!

True but just don't go around telling everyone how 'British' you are.
  • zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted Max Whitlock as he helped make history for england and britian on a whole at the commonwealth games
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tony-w wrote: »

Sounds sensible

He also has a charitable foundation :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the votes

Seems like ds prefers hammy
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went for Rory!
  • Zidane82Zidane82 Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Lewis Hamilton ?
    He's just lucky to have the best car it's nothing to do with the driver really. I seem to recall that German by winning 4 or 5 times in a row for Red Bull , just a few years ago, when they had the best car.
  • zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zidane82 wrote: »
    Lewis Hamilton ?
    He's just lucky to have the best car it's nothing to do with the driver really. I seem to recall that German by winning 4 or 5 times in a row for Red Bull , just a few years ago, when they had the best car.

I agree and how is car racing a sport?
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it has not been a very strong year, but I would say Rory Mcllroy. I do not follow Motor Racing or indeed Golf btw.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I stopped watching SPOTY a few years ago when the show was moved out of Television Centre
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Batch wrote: »
    While making a horse dance is quire difficult, dressage isn't really a sport is it?
    (OK I'm slightly trolling, but I do beleive that)

Now I'll be very controversial here and say that I consider it more a sport and skill than motor racing. I don't see driving cars fast as a sport at all - surely it's far more about the car than the driver. At least the rider has fashioned and trained the horse rather than just sitting behind a wheel that has been honed to excellence by a bunch of engineers .........I'll accept I'm in the minority though and run for cover.
  • Reggie RebelReggie Rebel Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzie Yarnold SHOULD win it. Rory McIlroy WILL win it
  • supergirlblibssupergirlblibs Posts: 5,038
    Forum Member
    Lewis is an almighty talent (at driving fast cars in a circle for a million laps) ... If only he had the personality to match.

I'd vote Pavey or Yarnold.

How did Amy Williams do when she was nominated? Wasn't she 2nd behind Giggs?