Can someone please stop Steve Wright being a total prat?

CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,334
Forum Member
✭✭
seriously im having to suffer his "big show" at work, and its crap, first of all lets stop the dinging during the travel, let us stop the crap music, that is out of place on the channel, todays example being "Hi Mickey" , the crap guest, star signs etc

make it stop

Comments

• leddersledders Posts: 2,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan then!!

What would you prefer?? heart??

Seriously, you want to thank the fact that we have shows like Steve Wright on Radio 2. At least he has something to say and can entertain the listeners.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am by no means a fan of Wright and his tiresome act but is there anything that couldn't have been added to 1 of the other 100 SW threads on this forum?
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    ledders wrote: »
    Not a fan then!!

What would you prefer?? heart??

Seriously, you want to thank the fact that we have shows like Steve Wright on Radio 2. At least he has something to say and can entertain the listeners.

Erm entertain?? I don't think so. I'm a big fan of Radio 2 but Wright is just rehashing the one creative idea ge had in the 1980's. There is no real personality or anything real from him on his show. Just crap wackyness. Anyone as experienced as him should have worked out that if you hack songs in half to talk over them, you are talking too much or trying to play too much music. Any second rate producer can work out that by ditching the 2 minutes of crap and pointless sig tunes he plays at the start and end of each hour, he could play the songs in full. The fact this doesn't happen is nothing more than ego.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never understood the dislike of Steve Wright on these forums. After all, these are Radio Forums, and he has got radio off to a fine art.

He has been able to do what he does for so long because that is exactly what decent quality radio is all about. Playing some tunes, and entertaining the listener by having something to say, and having the odd guest on. It worked in the 1980s and the system and format is still relevant today.

Certain so called radio stations should take a leaf out of his book and start producing some decent radio. But we all know, it probably won't happen anytime soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    Erm entertain?? I don't think so. I'm a big fan of Radio 2 but Wright is just rehashing the one creative idea ge had in the 1980's. There is no real personality or anything real from him on his show. Just crap wackyness. Anyone as experienced as him should have worked out that if you hack songs in half to talk over them, you are talking too much or trying to play too much music. Any second rate producer can work out that by ditching the 2 minutes of crap and pointless sig tunes he plays at the start and end of each hour, he could play the songs in full. The fact this doesn't happen is nothing more than ego.

But the show is not about the back to back music. It is a magazine show, or don't you get that?
  • RodneyRodney Posts: 4,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's be honest, a 1kHz tone would be more entertaining! It's a pity because if Steve cut the "smashie and nicey" crap he could be a very good music radio deejay.
  • RodneyRodney Posts: 4,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the show is not about the back to back music. It is a magazine show, or don't you get that?

That's just it, it's not supposed to be a magazine-type show. It's supposed to be music driven to counter the Vine and Mayo shows either side of it.
    Forum Member

No need for the attitude. I don't want back to back music but when a presenter plays a song it's nice to actually hear it in full. You clearly only bother to read part of my post or you would have spotted the part where I suggested that he could play less music but then play the songs in full. Thats not too much to expect from one of the nations biggest radio stations.

Magazine shows can be delivered without ego and still fulfil the requirments of the listeners.
  • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need for the attitude. I don't want back to back music but when a presenter plays a song it's nice to actually hear it in full. You clearly only bother to read part of my post or you would have spotted the part where I suggested that he could play less music but then play the songs in full. Thats not too much to expect from one of the nations biggest radio stations.

Magazine shows can be delivered without ego and still fulfil the requirments of the listeners.
    I used to find him endearingly entertaining, during the era when 'Mr. Manager' and "Mick Jagger' et al would phone in. I subsequently lost interest many moons ago.. I suspect so did he, but it's a living.
  • reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the OP's main problem is enforced listening at work. I'm glad I work in an environment where music or radios are not allowed. It would drive me bonkers having to listen to the same stuff every day - especially when Christmas music gets added to the playlist. Find another job if you cant persuade others to switch it off.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    I think the OP's main problem is enforced listening at work.
    Exactly (w)right. They don't have the guts to throw a hissy fit like their first post was at work in front of real people, nor a friendly and commanding personality that can persuade colleagues to accept another station. Maybe they're the only person who feels this way, otherwise why else would the majority of people listen to a station they don't like?

So, they go onto a forum and have a cowardly moan to strangers. Who is it here they're actually asking to "make it stop"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly (w)right. They don't have the guts to throw a hissy fit like their first post was at work in front of real people, nor a friendly and commanding personality that can persuade colleagues to accept another station. Maybe they're the only person who feels this way, otherwise why else would the majority of people listen to a station they don't like?

So, they go onto a forum and have a cowardly moan to strangers. Who is it here they're actually asking to "make it stop"?
    With respect, not a particularly great post, but I'm very impressed with your engineering projects.
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You have given all the reasons why The Big Show is different from all other shows and hence, why it is such a good programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The traditional reason for talking over a track was so that listeners couldn't record the entire song in its intended glory. In this digital age, this has become redundant.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never understood the dislike of Steve Wright on these forums. After all, these are Radio Forums, and he has got radio off to a fine art.

He has been able to do what he does for so long because that is exactly what decent quality radio is all about. Playing some tunes, and entertaining the listener by having something to say, and having the odd guest on. It worked in the 1980s and the system and format is still relevant today.

Certain so called radio stations should take a leaf out of his book and start producing some decent radio. But we all know, it probably won't happen anytime soon.

'Quality radio'?

Are there two people called Steve Wright?
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Correct. The 80's was a great era for radio so why not use the successful formats that were used then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    You have given all the reasons why The Big Show is different from all other shows and hence, why it is such a good programme.

The problem is the majority of people don't like personality radio anymore. It gets in the way of the More Music Variety unimaginative pap listeners know and love.

When the likes of Steve Wright come along and offer some alternative to that, it is frowned upon. Shame really, because the show is on one of the most popular stations in the country. People bang on about the fact that heart is so wonderful, but there are alternative ways of broadcasting a radio show other than the heart way.

You would think that such a popular show on such a popular station would have been scrapped by now for something much more boring. Maybe that is part of the problem. The fact that you can tell there is a difference between Jeremy Vine's show and Steve Wright's show. Maybe the main complaint is that they don't all blend into one long show.

And people complain about the fact that he doesn't play the entire song. Yes, because heart have never butchered any songs have they? Oh, the irony.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a cracking 'non-stop' Oldies @ 3, the other day. He talked over virtually every song.
    The Who, Kinks, Steppenwolf etc.
    Utter sacrilege
  • Jonny_RottenNIJonny_RottenNI Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    seriously im having to suffer his "big show" at work, and its crap, first of all lets stop the dinging during the travel, let us stop the crap music, that is out of place on the channel, todays example being "Hi Mickey" , the crap guest, star signs etc

make it stop

A few options here:

1) Change jobs
    2) Sabotage the radio.
    3) Request flexitime that avoids the 'big show'
    4) Change jobs
    5) Tell the boss you get panic attacks / flashbacks as a result of PTSD when listening to him
    6) Change jobs.

Hope this helps.
  • reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is the majority of people don't like personality radio anymore. It gets in the way of the More Music Variety unimaginative pap listeners know and love.

When the likes of Steve Wright come along and offer some alternative to that, it is frowned upon. Shame really, because the show is on one of the most popular stations in the country. People bang on about the fact that heart is so wonderful, but there are alternative ways of broadcasting a radio show other than the heart way.

You would think that such a popular show on such a popular station would have been scrapped by now for something much more boring. Maybe that is part of the problem. The fact that you can tell there is a difference between Jeremy Vine's show and Steve Wright's show. Maybe the main complaint is that they don't all blend into one long show.

And people complain about the fact that he doesn't play the entire song. Yes, because heart have never butchered any songs have they? Oh, the irony.

And yet I have younger friends (27+) who have migrated from R1 and love SW.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,371
    Forum Member

Mark Radclife is a personality driven alternative to Wright but his partnership with Maconie is very dull compared to the excellent Afternoon show he did with Marc Riley for 5 years, shame he was forced to tone it down just because he reached a certain age, good old BBC ageism.

Then again there is always Scott Mills who is another personality alternative in the afternoon, so all the Steve Wright haters who don't want to go down the more music route have options if they want entertainment.
    Forum Member

I don't see what Heart have got to do with anything and believe it or not I don't want to listen to 4 in a row radio anymore than you do. This is why I love Radio 2 but Steve Wrights show could be so much better but he is just goibg through the motions and letting his ego do the show. Don't confuse his ego with personality. There is a diffetence.

I'd love someone to explain to me why Steve cuttibg songs in half for no good reason is better than him playing the song in full? I really see any reason why a show on any station.let alone our biggest one should be produced like this. It's just lazy and given hiw much prep goes into his show, it"s so sad that he wastes that with such poor execution on air.
    Forum Member
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    Correct. The 80's was a great era for radio so why not use the successful formats that were used then.

The great thing about the passage of time is that we can look back and see things in a new light and see what was really great and what was just great in that moment.

We can take the good things but leave some behind. No need to lift everything just because it was good once.
    Forum Member
    I used to find him endearingly entertaining, during the era when 'Mr. Manager' and "Mick Jagger' et al would phone in. I subsequently lost interest many moons ago.. I suspect so did he, but it's a living.
    You've hit the nail on the head. He's just going through the motions and churning out the same stuff he always had.

I wonder when the last time he ever thought 'you know what lets try something different' was.

He's turning up every day and taking the money.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listen to radio 2 all day in work, asides from Steve wright. Cannot abide the man, or his brown nosing friends

News and weather
    That was the news and weather, lets just look at the news and weather
    half a song
    *sings over the end of a song*
    His side kicks laugh about something inane
    Today's guest is Judith chalmers
    Sidekicks murmurr about how she is a friend of the show and a great lady
    Factoids
    Half a song with the end sang over again
    Non stop oldies, which have plenty of stops in them, for inane guff