Options

Do I have any control over picture format?

I have a Philips 32BF9986 and a Samsung DVDR-119 and think I already know the answer but would like some confirmation.

I have connected the component output from the 119 to the DVI-I input of the 9986. When playing a DVD with the 119 set to Progressive Scan and the 9986 input to DVI, do I have any control, either on the 119 or 9986, over how the picture appears on screen. I can see that the picture quality is improved, but the variety of screen sizes/formats means that in some cases I am using very little of the available screen size.

If, as I suspect, there is nothing I can do without going to more expense with upscalers :confused::confused: etc., what should I be looking for when purchasing DVDs in the future, to maximise my viewing pleasure?

Snail

Comments

• Options
    hazzamonhazzamon Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Snail wrote:
    If, as I suspect, there is nothing I can do without going to more expense with upscalers :confused::confused: etc., what should I be looking for when purchasing DVDs in the future, to maximise my viewing pleasure?

Snail

How the image is upscaled is nothing whatsoever to do with the DVD disc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Philips will be taking the DVD source material and scaling the image to match the displays native resolution, if the source material is 16:9 then it will fill the screen, if the source is 2.35:1 then you will get black bars top and bottom.
    If the DVD is 4:3 then you choose how the Philips adjusts the picture form pillar box to various widescreen ratios.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snail wrote:
    I have connected the component output from the 119 to the DVI-I input of the 9986.

Er, are you sure? Component is analogue video output, DVI is a digital input.
  • Options
    neilnneiln Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    The DVI-I socket on the 32pf9986 is analogue and digital. It is supplied with an adaptor for connecting component to the DVI-I socket.
    When connecting through the DVI-I socket on the set you can only adjust the screen ratio between 4:3 and widescreen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, and yes I can see now that I can switch between 4:3 and widescreen only. Having also done some research on differing widescreen formats I realise that left to its own devices the ideal format for this screen in these circumstances is 1.78:1 while anything wider, e.g. 2.35:1 will inevitably result in black bands top and bottom.

Now I know what to expect I can continue watching without the nagging thought that I'm not fully utilising my kit.

Snail