The 'Died too young' thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Kirsty MacColl

Died 18th December 2000, aged 41, when she was hit by a speedboat after saving her son.

I like the fact that every Christmas when Fairytale of New York is played it's like a tribute to Kirsty (as well as being one of the best Christmas songs of course!)
  • lil_boolil_boo Posts: 1,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it has to be Aaliyah, who was killed in a plane crash in 2001 aged only 22,

she had just released the best album of her career and had signed on to do the Matrix Reloaded,
    In my opinion, she was on the verge of becoming a huge star and I believe if she was still here she would've been as big, if not bigger than Beyonce
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Probably the greatest blues guitarist alive when he died aged 36. Tragic loss.
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy MacKenzie
    Joey Ramone
    Johnny Ramone
    Dee Dee Ramone
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Hendrix
    Jim Morrison
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Sam Cooke
  • AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised no-one has mentioned John Lennon, aged 40. He co-wrote some of the best known songs of the 20th century, and of course was a Beatle. I love the songs "Imagine" and "Woman". Very sad loss, I imagine it was a sad day in the music industry when it was announced back in 1980.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    eva cassidy age 33. She didn't even get to see how famous her music is.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was officially declared dead last year :(

a very difficult time for our community.

dredged it all back up, but i understand it needed to be done for closure purposes for his dear family :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Bon Scott (AC/DC) was only 33 aswell.
    I'm leaving this forum. It's too sad:cry:
  • chrisagw4chrisagw4 Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lil_boo wrote: »
    For me it has to be Aaliyah, who was killed in a plane crash in 2001 aged only 22,

she had just released the best album of her career and had signed on to do the Matrix Reloaded,
    In my opinion, she was on the verge of becoming a huge star and I believe if she was still here she would've been as big, if not bigger than Beyonce

I was going to say Aaliyah, but as you made every point i was going to make ill just simply say, I Agree:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian Curtis (15 July 1956 – 18 May 1980)
  • speedy_gonzalesspeedy_gonzales Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    buddy holly
    keith moon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaliyah. :(

Died at 22 in an aeroplane crash. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Jimi Hendrix - 27
    Tupac - 25
    Notorious B.I.G. - 24

Hard to believe none of them saw thier 30s
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimi Hendrix - 27
    Tupac - 25
    Notorious B.I.G. - 24

Hard to believe none of them saw thier 30s

well none of the 27 club saw their 30s, did they :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohhh yeah, Aaliyah.

I remember being so shocked to hear about her death. She was far too young and her death was tragic & could have easily been prevented. I hear she was burned beyond recognition.

She was definetley a rising star.
  • Miss ListerMiss Lister Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Buddy Holly

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Duanne Allman - co founder of the Allman Brothers Band and remembered for his session work on Eric Clapton's 'Layla'. Died in a motorbike crash at the age of 24.

Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, Cassie Gaines of the band Lynyrd Skynyrd all killed in a plane crash before they reached the age of 30.
    :(
  • debailey72debailey72 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Everybody has named the big stars already, so I'm gonna name Mel Appleby from Mel and Kim.
    She died almost 20 years ago from cancer aged 23. I remember her and Kim on the 'Wogan' show when she was going through chemo and I thought she was gonna make it.

It was so heartbreaking to turn on the radio and hear that she passed away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    debailey72 wrote: »
    Everybody has named the big stars already, so I'm gonna name Mel Appleby from Mel and Kim.
    She died almost 20 years ago from cancer aged 23. I remember her and Kim on the 'Wogan' show when she was going through chemo and I thought she was gonna make it.

It was so heartbreaking to turn on the radio and hear that she passed away.

I remember hearing about her death and it really upset me.

Mama Cass from the mamas and papas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taboo wrote: »
    I remember hearing about her death and it really upset me.

Mama Cass from the mamas and papas.

she and keith moon both died in harry nilsson's flat, didn't they?
  • ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The brilliant Minnie Ripperton

Check out 'Inside your love' if you think all she ever recorded was Loving you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kurt Cobain, cruelly murdered at 27
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buddy Holly

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Duanne Allman - co founder of the Allman Brothers Band and remembered for his session work on Eric Clapton's 'Layla'. Died in a motorbike crash at the age of 24.

Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, Cassie Gaines of the band Lynyrd Skynyrd all killed in a plane crash before they reached the age of 30.
    :(

And Allman Brothers bass player Berry Oakley who died just over a year after Duanne also in a motorbike accident and just three blocks from where Duanne had his accident. Berry claimed he was fine after the accident but had in fact fractured his skull and died of a brain swell about three hours later.

As for Lynyrd Skynyrd, I met Ronnie Van Zant on their first tour of England - one of the nicest people ever - no ego and spent about twenty minutes chatting to me and a couple of friends, curtailed by the tour bus having to leave.

Skynyrd are a tragic band who never really survived the Plane crash. Allen Collins, one of the original guitarists lost his first wife to a brain hemorrhage when she was pregnant in 1980. His grief saw an increasing dependance on drink and drugs and he was paralysed in a road accident which killed his girlfiend in 1986 while he was drunk. He could never play again and died of pneumonia caused by his injuries 4 years later.

Bassist Leon Wilkinson was found dead in a hotel room in 2001, Hughie Thommasson guitarist with the band after the reunion left the band in 2005 and died in 2007 and keyboard player Billy Powell died of suspected heart problems at the begining of this year.

As for other tragic deaths I would mention Danny Whitten, guitarist with Neil Young's backing band Crazy Horse who died of a Heroin overdose in 1972. May not be known to many but he wrote "I Don't Want To Talk About It" - a hit for Rod Stewart and Everything But The Girl.

And finally, American blues singer Bessie Smith who died after a road accident in 1937 at the age of 44. She was probably the greatest blues singer ever. Despite popular belief she did not die because she was refused entry to an all white hospital, but delays to the ambulance from the Afro American hospital. This resulted in her right arm having to be amputated and she never regained conciousness.

There are so many more, Gary Thain and David Byron from Uriah Heep even though they had both left the band. But enough sadness for now...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    a very difficult time for our community.

dredged it all back up, but i understand it needed to be done for closure purposes for his dear family :(

I was surprised at how upsetting it was, actually. I shed quite a few tears (JFPL helped, though).

Seconding (thirding? fourthing?) Left Eye and Aaliyah. I interviewed her once. She was immensely charming.
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Freddie was a man who hated the thought of getting old
    end quote

sorry but I think Freddie still had 20 more creative years in him
    that stupid disease robbed us of a ton more albums and songs
    46 is far too young, he was nt even in middle age.

Just look at Elton John... 60 + now, think of all the brilliant
    work he has done since age 46 ... and still more to come
    I put Freddie up there with Elton.... its a terrible loss for everyone.